Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD music

gromit

Arcane
I think you'll have more luck getting #2 to ease up than you would trying to get #1 to evoke more feeling. Sure, at this stage, #1's tracks may sound more suitably atmospheric, but I think that's ultimately because it's just plain sparser. Tell #2 to hollow things out a little more, and then you still have his talent and potential to play with for the times you need spiffy themes.

Fryjar

Augur
I personally prefer the art of composer #2 since he captures the decadent and hopeless mood of the game better.
Nr.1 appears to be a bit generic and furthermore his tracks are more suitable for a high fantasy elve/dwarf world.
The tracks 3 and 4 create this subtle disconcerting feeling although 4 should probably only be played in special locations, because its very intense.
Nevertheless I am all for tracks with vocals like in #4, because they are the songs that are in general the most memmorable ones.
But once again, the voice should in general probably be more subtle.

Perishiko

Scholar
Any news on the music yet? Perhaps some of your own opinions too.

My preferance is with composer number two. Not much of a reason for it, so you can't read too much into my statement.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The second guy is doing the music. He already did several tracks; I'll upload them later.

Ibis

Novice
I realize VD ... that you have already picked the AoD music, I think. But I just wanted to say that I like # 1,2 & 3 at the beginning of this thread .. the 4th seemed a bit dark, but might suit for some brooding game scenario. :)

Mr Happy

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
The second guy is doing the music. He already did several tracks; I'll upload them later.

I think I prefered his overall composition a bit more. The first sounded good, but a bit to "clean" sounding. I thought track 3 was the best though.

Why not contact Eric Heberling, who composed Daggerfall's soundtrack, and see if he might throw a few tunes your way....?

Actually that would be nice, Daggerfall has my favorite music out of any game, and its different enough not to blend in with generic fantasy music. By the way, whatever happened to that guy? Certain later elder scrolls games suffered from not having him doing music.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Certain later elder scrolls games suffered from not having a lot of things.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Yeah, I saw those. Pretty impressive, I especially liked how he mixed in some real instruments, and it certainly is a jump from the MIDI stuff. He does change the mood on a few of them I think, but that's to be expected. And yes Iagree, I don't know how good a guy doing song remakes would be good at original songs, though it does seem like hes composing some music for a film. So that's good.

obediah

Erudite
You need to get David Eugene Edwards to do your music. :) Listen to any of the Wovenhand stuff and filter out the vocals. Much of it may be too gypsie-ey for how you envision the game, but it's what I'll be listening to when I'm playing. :)

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I like Sample numer three best. It's roughly ambient and reminds me of the desolation that I felt when playing Fallout, but somehow more Roman.

Sample number four is good for when something epic and majestic is occuring, but not as background music. I also hate the voice. Don't harmonize with that flute at all, harmonize with other vocals. And get a woman to do that. I can harmonize with myself over three octaves, but when it starts bordering on falsetto or ugly synthesizer/vocoder pitch aligning you should just get someone else to sing it. Unless you're shooting for comedy.

Samples one and two are far too generic for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom