Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD June update

likaq

Arcane
We're going to start beta-testing (closed test) in July, which means that we spent June tweaking and balancing questlines and don't really have anything interesting to say. The next month update will have first impressions and such, but this one will have to be pretty boring, unless you really like reading updates.

The focus is on the options, choices, and paths now. There is a truckload of them. If you thought that Teron had a lot of options, you're going to be overwhelmed with what we have in store for you now. More characters, more quests, more options, more scheming, more reactivity, more opportunities to fuck things up. I rarely speak with excitement about my own work, but I'm very proud of how everything turned out and came together.

The Abyss evolved into a great area. It's very different from what you've seen so far. Most locations have fairly 'realistic' atmosphere - people squabbling, scheming, plotting, and murdering each other over nothing. Not a lot of fantasy there. Now, the game IS a fantasy RPG and in the Abyss you'll get the first taste of it.

I asked Scott to go over the Abyss doc and breathe his magic into the words. He seemed to like it: "I really like this one, especially the end. It's a great idea, bringing together the history and the ultimate realization of a violent and amoral world. You've created the anti-Chosen One."

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3347.0.html

^
Awesome screenshots!!

:brodex:

Yes, i know that this news is already on main page.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3347.msg104702.html#msg104702
Vince (Vault Dweller) said:
We won’t be able to start the beta-test in July. Our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

We hoped to start testing on the 21st, but the combination of too much work (a lot of variables due to different choices, paths, and outcomes) and less time than anticipated (as I’m sure you know Oscar, Nick, and Ivan are also working on Dead State, which will be hitting an important milestone soon) pushed it back.

We’re working very long hours and weekends and doing our best to bring you the second release as soon as humanly possible. We anticipate starting the best-test in two weeks, if everything goes well.

We’ll delay the July update until we have the first testers’ impressions to share.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I have to say this is my most anticipated game right now. Wasteland 2, Torment, Eternity - none of 'em compare to this. I honestly don't think any other game out there has the balls to be a true rpg with more than token choices with consequences. To be an RPG that isn't afraid to punish or kill the player character for making mistakes. The demo proved to me that AoD has those balls.

I just recently played the R3 build of the demo btw. I loled quite a bit at the "awesome button". :lol:

Cool moments:
I loved how my battle hardened veteran was knee derp deep in loot so quickly in the game. Why in mere minutes he had obtained a magical medallion and an ancient ring of power, all for just a few hundred gold.

Then he went to join the Imperial Guards to be a honorable knight for justice. Let's just say that my paladin disagreed with the Guards' methods and ended up investigating other employment opportunities...after he recovered from his head injury.

My praetor thinking he could boss around everyone in town until he ran into the local cutthroats who didn't care who he was.

Finding the jellyfish artifact. Felt very post-apoc Indiana Jones. Looking forward to playing a loremaster and discovering all the ancient secrets and such.

Can't wait for the full game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Same here, I loved playing AoD so much that I've pre-ordered it and I haven't done it with neither Wasteland 2 or Torment (Project Eternity isn't my cup of tea at all). IMO Iron Tower developers deserved money the most since they have actually shown the most and it's a game exactly as advertised.To your cool moments I would add:
  • Militiades - encounters with him were hilarious and I loved his sleazy persona and audacity. In fact he was so realistically portrayed that I'm starting to think he was based on some real character ;P. I think he's my favourite and I don't remember anyone like him in any cRPG I've played.
  • Discovering that the preacher at the well has his purpose and isn't added only to add some reading lines.
  • Sneaking through Antidas palace
  • Selling bullshit to a lady with expensive necklace
And many more (these are just side quests and I don't want to spoil the really juicy part).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
"We won’t be able to start the beta-test in July. Our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

We hoped to start testing on the 21st, but the combination of too much work (a lot of variables due to different choices, paths, and outcomes) and less time than anticipated (as I’m sure you know Oscar, Nick, and Ivan are also working on Dead State, which will be hitting an important milestone soon) pushed it back.

We’re working very long hours and weekends and doing our best to bring you the second release as soon as humanly possible. We anticipate starting the best-test in two weeks, if everything goes well.

We’ll delay the July update until we have the first testers’ impressions to share."

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks for the update. I'll try to be more patient :]. A word of advice though, never say a (semi)concrete date otherwise you will have posts like above (including mine). That thursday thing has become AoD trademark.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3347.msg105072.html#msg105072
Vince said:
All shall be explained in due time. By 'all shall be explained', I mean that we added more stuff at the last moment because Oscar thought that a simple conversation explaining how you got back (when you report in) from a certain location isn't as fun as actually implementing your trials and tribulations and adding 4 different scenarios, pretty cool consequences to your past choices, and an extra location that most of you would probably never see.

Totally worth it.
I'm drooling.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Steam early access off the table VD? Doesn't matter to me personally since I preordered (so I'll access your next massive demo) , just curious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom