Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone tried Towns, a greenlit Steam game now available?

DefJam101

Arcane
And yet people still regard Dwarf Fortress as "the hardest game ever made" so all hope is lost

Gord

Arcane
It is a relatively complex game and your fortress can go down the drain fast (at least if you are a noob like me).
One or two dwarves that are taken by a mood but can't find the necessary raw materials can quickly cause a spiral of despair and death if you aren't careful.
Same goes for early invasions. Of course, that's all part of the FUN.
On top of it you get the "special" UI (although tools like Dwarftherapist help), so I think it's an accessibility issue caused by several things - complexity, difficulty and lack of comfort.

Well, difficulty in DF very much differs from biome to biome.

But I agree, most of the time people confuse unwieldy interface with difficulty. Remembering how does fucking military menu works doesn't make a game hardcore, it's just bad design. Challenge in games must come from gameplay, not UI. It's like calling a game of Monopoly hardcore, when one player is forced to play with his hands and feet bound, and using only mouth for all actions.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane

But I agree, most of the time people confuse unwieldy interface with difficulty. Remembering how does fucking military menu works doesn't make a game hardcore, it's just bad design. Challenge in games must come from gameplay, not UI. It's like calling a game of Monopoly hardcore, when one player is forced to play with his hands and feet bound, and using only mouth for all actions.

I can imagine me playing this with a girl and still losing all my monopoly and real money :(

Overboard

Arcane

I can imagine me playing this with a girl and still losing all my monopoly and real money :(

Try not being the gimp.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Toady might be an autist and focus on completely irrelevant stuff, but so far no team of devs ever managed to beat him. Sure, I'd like him to do some different stuff than he does, but the day where someone actually manages to make a better game of this genre is far far away. At the time being the only contestant is Gnomoria anyway.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Toady might be an autist and focus on completely irrelevant stuff, but so far no team of devs ever managed to beat him. Sure, I'd like him to do some different stuff than he does, but the day where someone actually manages to make a better game of this genre is far far away. At the time being the only contestant is Gnomoria anyway.

Clockwork Empires might change that, since for one it will have actual simulated colonists that may turn cultist or communist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom