Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone remember Splatterhouse?

Seymour

Liturgist
I remember being hyped for this on its announcement a couple of years ago. Since then, they revealed Rick's new Hulkish look, auto-regen and, worse of all, this God-awful metal soundtrack which sounds absolutely nothing like the originals' music.

Now this game can pretty much go fuck itself as far as I'm concerned.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seymour said:
I remember being hyped for this on its announcement a couple of years ago. Since then, they revealed Rick's new Hulkish look, auto-regen and, worse of all, this God-awful metal soundtrack which sounds absolutely nothing like the originals' music.

Now this game can pretty much go fuck itself as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, a couple of years ago? I must have missed it. I just saw an ad for it today and clicked the link out of curiosity.

You're right, the soundtrack sucks, but Rick always looked hulkish when he donned the mask didn't he? Especially when he was powered up.

Seymour

Liturgist
latexmonkeys said:
Wow, a couple of years ago?

Yeah, way back in 2008. I was convinced this was vaporware by now.

As for the new look, I think they based it on his Mutant Rick form from 3 but I don't like how it turned out at all, especially the giant hands and OH GOD the shoes. Still, not the sort of thing that makes or breaks a game for me, but coupled with what seems like an uninspired 3D brawler with atrocious soundtrack makes me just write this off as another shitty cash-in on older franchises (like that recent Golden Axe flop). The health meter gimmick seems cool enough, though.

Also, found this screenshot at the West Mansion fansite and thought of the Codex. Butthurt definitely detected.

Phelot

Arcane
The original was pretty frustrating and tough, but cool none the less simply for the spooky atmosphere and seeing people skinned, but still alive for some reason.

I've recently played it on MAME, but can't recall what I would have played it on years ago. Was it Genesis?

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
phelot said:
The original was pretty frustrating and tough, but cool none the less simply for the spooky atmosphere and seeing people skinned, but still alive for some reason.

I've recently played it on MAME, but can't recall what I would have played it on years ago. Was it Genesis?

I'm pretty sure I played #2 on the Genesis and possibly 3. I vaguely remember playing #1 in the arcade. Hmm, I'll have to check out the MAME versions. I don't really remember much about the arcade Splatterhouses - I'm curious as to how they compare to the Genesis.

1 wasn't available on the Mega Drive and 2 and 3 are only available for it, they didn't have an arcade release.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
2 is the best with the lenght and variety of monsters and levels, but 1 is pretty close behind. 3 is fun but the beat'em up gameplay is a bit uninspired.

Edit: I loved the cheapshot in some of the end battles, like the boreworm coming out of the hanged cadaver or the chandelier falling down after you beat the poltergeist.

Fucking boreworms!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The music was great in 2-3 parts, still have it in my winamp playlist.

The new version looks kind of uninspiring.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gragt said:
2 is the best with the lenght and variety of monsters and levels, but 1 is pretty close behind. 3 is fun but the beat'em up gameplay is a bit uninspired.
Huh, I thought 2 had too many unenjoyable perfect-twitch moments whereas 3's controls felt better and I liked how the levels had multiple paths and you had a time limit that determined whether or not your wife and kid would survive. Though it does miss out on not letting you take a chainsaw to a room full of hanging fetuses.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The multiple path and time limit is very nice, true, and I guess it was unfair of me to not mention these. And some levels and bosses had some nice design. My gripe is mostly with the actual beating up part, which has very few moves and only small number of monsters on-screen. Something a bit more dynamic like the Streets of Rage would have made it more fun.

As for 2, well, it is unforgiving at times, I give you that. But that's also what makes it fun! There was a time you could hear an angry Belgian howl out of frustration in the middle of the darknest nights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom