Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone played Silverfall?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I picked it up off Amazon for $7. I thought the demo was okay-ish, and I like Steampunk themes. Was wondering if it was any count. Either way, $7 seemed like a decent deal for a few hours of hack and slash if I ever get the time to play it.

DaveO

Erudite
I've played the game, but it's better with the Earth Awakening add-on. You don't get the rediculous load times, the game performance is smoother, the interface is cleaned up, and quest markers are added to the map to name some improvements. Steam has it downloadable for $20 if you want to think about it.

The standard Silverfall game is playable, but just don't expect epic entertainment. Personally, I enjoyed the tech/nature alignment options and the custom capabilities for designing character builds. You do get some minor character tweaking options for the appearance. I spent quite some time in the swamps before moving on to Cloudworks which is the second town. The map is quite large, but you have to fight monsters in groups or you risk being easily overwhelmed.

I played it. As long you aren't expecting some RPG masterpiece it can be pretty fun, and the art & design for the steampunk creatures, areas, and items is very cool and has a lot of personality - The "nature" ones, meanwhile, are just the usual thing. The undeads are also Steampunk, so is the only game in a long time with some original "Walking Dead" types. And the goblins rule, as always.

The way the skills works you have quite a lot of freedom in how to build your character, and the third dificulty setting cheats so much that building a viable character is a true challenge, but you can re-spec one point at a time at a growing price each time. In the second setting the begining can be pretty hard, but the difficuly curve is inverted: In the swamp and the desert anything can kill you without much of a trouble, after that and for a while the challenge remains at a good level, and the last third of the game is very easy - To the point where the final boss dies before even getting a chance to attack you. In the first one the game is damn boring, so ignore that one and begin from the second, if you want some challenge at least at the start and middle, or the third one, if you want some challenge in the middle and end and an almost impossible begining.

And the game has level scaling, but in the highest setting it is level scaling of the evil kind - The enemies not only cheat a lot, but always stay a couple of levels above you until they hit the max for that area, which in that setting is-a-fucking-lot-of-levels. Then you go to a new area and all the enemies are a couple of levels higher again. :roll:

The story sucks, badly. It has some cool points here and there, but those are so horribly written that the "subversions" go unoticed. The A.I of your companios sucks almost as much: Only the Melee Warriors and the Gunslingers/Rangers are useful, the wizards and healers die before doing anything useful.

So play it for the cool steampunk design, the original steampunk monsters, the cool steampunk items, and the freestyle character building. And the brutal challenge if you go for the third dificulty setting from the start.

[edit]I almost forgot: The main quests are all "Go there and talk with this guy" and "Go there and kill this guy" or "Go there and get me this after killing this guy". The side quests are "Get me X amount of Y" or "Kill this guy". The only saving grace is that in the highest setting it usually is "Get me 10 of that crap droped by that one enemy type that wipes your party in three hits, lol" or "Go to the nest of those fairies that wipe your party if you find them in groups bigger than one and kill them all, sucker... including their giant, overpowered, cheating queen lol".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom