Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any Ultima fans tried the FM towns versions?

Just saw this link http://c64walkabout.com/2008/09/16/ulti ... and-7.aspx

Looks interesting. Not sure if I could give away the sid tunes and gameplay of the 64/128, but I know that there are other old RPG's that were done for this computer as well, The Magic Candle springs to mind. Not sure if there is an English option in it though.

mondblut

Arcane
U3 looks damn nice. Does it need specific emulation or is this 100% ibm pc compatible?

And the link to torrent is off since mininova's dead.

Silellak

Cipher
Haha, wow, I just fired up Ultima VI. It's definitely the best version I've seen, but the voice acting is...hilarious. Like listening to players or DMs do NPC voices during a PnP session. Which, I suppose, is where most of the "actors'" experience comes from.

Richard Garriott did the voice acting for both Lord British and Shamino, and for some reason it totally sounds like how you would expect him to do their voices. All the "thee's" and "thou's" certainly don't help things.

Any Ultima fan owes it to themselves to fire up Ultima VI on the FM Towns and just talk to a few characters, if nothing else.

Hell, maybe it's time for an Ultima VI replay...

Elzair

Cipher
I thought of playing the FM Towns version of Ultima VI, but I did not want to bother with setting up the emulators and tracking down the games (I thought they were hard to find). Plus I wanted to use my character from Ultima V. Oh well! Maybe I will give them a whirl next time.

MisterStone

Arcane
Oh, Ultima V with no disk swapping!

*after a minute or two*

ultima32fmtownsjj0.png

GAH! What the hell is this?

Well, OK, the original Apple version of U3 wasn't as pretty as I remember it being...

346081.png

*edit* oops wrong pic, this one's U3

Silellak

Cipher
Has anyone tried to get Ultima V to work? I can't seem to get passed what appears to be the "language selection" screen.

Silellak

Cipher
A little more experimentation with Ultima VI (ie, throwing the moonstone around to take me random places) revealed that when fighting enemy mages, the "spell words" (ie Vas Flam) used for casting are actually voice-acted. Pretty nifty.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got the Ultima Trilogy, U5 and U6 to work on the FM-Towns emulator (can't remember the name ATM). Unfortunately the emulator was... weird. Never figured out how to move my characters in Ultima Trilogy (and yes, I did try every button on the keyboard). The Ultima 6 voices were indeed hilarious.

Not an Ultima, but if you manage to track down the FM-Towns version of Dungeon Master it's definitely worth getting. Exactly the same game, no difference whatsoever in graphics, but uses CD audio tracks for music. The music is very nice, atmospheric and low key. Fits the game perfectly.

Sceptic said:
I got the Ultima Trilogy, U5 and U6 to work on the FM-Towns emulator (can't remember the name ATM). Unfortunately the emulator was... weird. Never figured out how to move my characters in Ultima Trilogy (and yes, I did try every button on the keyboard). The Ultima 6 voices were indeed hilarious.

Not an Ultima, but if you manage to track down the FM-Towns version of Dungeon Master it's definitely worth getting. Exactly the same game, no difference whatsoever in graphics, but uses CD audio tracks for music. The music is very nice, atmospheric and low key. Fits the game perfectly.

Do they usually have English versions included of all games?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Sadly no. Most of them are Japanese-only, and even ones that also have English sometimes have it only in parts - as I recall not all of Ultima Trilogy is in both languages. I think there were parts of it (the new intros for each game maybe?) that were Jap-only. Dungeon Master was fully bilingual though, and so are U5 and U6. U4 was Jap-only I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom