Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any Strategy games with good and smart AI?

Estarixq

Novice
Does anyone know of any strategy games with good and smart AI?

I play strategy games almost always in singleplayer mode, and one of the flaws that I notice in many of these games is that the AI is usually poorly programmed, that is, they either have no strategy or any goals in mind, their builds are sub-optimal at best, they don't know how to implement basic combat tactics (e.g. flanking), and so on...

Do you guys have any recommendations for games that contain good, competent, and fair AI? And by that I mean, AI that does not cheat and gets unfair bonuses compared to the player, like knowing your location through fog-of-war all the time, getting a higher multiplier / more resources than the player, having more units than it could possibly produce, etc.

Rather, what I'm looking for is an AI that starts with the same amount of resources as you do, abilities, technology, etc. as the player would in their position (more or less if their starting faction/race gives them such bonuses/penalties), have strategic goals in mind (e.g. like winning via Science/Culture/Economy route, or conquering everything), have buildings and build orders that support their goals, implement smart tactics in combat and exploration, and generally play to the best of their abilities just as a player would in their situation.

Now, I know that this might be asking for a lot, especially since I know that AI development isn't a strong priority for developers, but I'm hoping someone here might know of such games that implement these things, the more the better.

As for the games themselves, I'm not too picky. So, the game's release date doesn't matter, the setting (whether it's Sci-Fi, Medieval, Modern) doesn't matter as well, the graphics don't matter, and the genre (RTS, TBS, 4X, etc.) doesn't matter as well.

Do any games like this come to mind?

Additionally, any AI mods that improve the game's AI are welcome as well.

spectre

Arcane
I recall there were a bunch of AI mods for Alpha Centauri, though you're on your own here.
4X games are usually poor in this regard out-of-the-box and the devs just expect people to fuck off and play multi
rather than teach the 'puter to play the fucking game. I've seen folks swear by some AI mods for CiV5, but nuCiv is dead to me.

I don't really have the time for modding anymore, so I'm sticking with shit that just works. And speaking of those:

Chessmaster had pretty customizable AI if you're into that.
Beyond All Reason's AI is competent and devious. Should last you for a while.

I also vaguely recall Galactic Civilizations from back in the day, not sure if it was just a gimmick, but one of its selling points was that the AI
would acknowledge shit like: I see you're gathering troops for an attack, I would totally respond to this, but the difficulty setting is too low.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone know of any strategy games with good and smart AI?

I play strategy games almost always in singleplayer mode, and one of the flaws that I notice in many of these games is that the AI is usually poorly programmed, that is, they either have no strategy or any goals in mind, their builds are sub-optimal at best, they don't know how to implement basic combat tactics (e.g. flanking), and so on...

Do you guys have any recommendations for games that contain good, competent, and fair AI? And by that I mean, AI that does not cheat and gets unfair bonuses compared to the player, like knowing your location through fog-of-war all the time, getting a higher multiplier / more resources than the player, having more units than it could possibly produce, etc.

Rather, what I'm looking for is an AI that starts with the same amount of resources as you do, abilities, technology, etc. as the player would in their position (more or less if their starting faction/race gives them such bonuses/penalties), have strategic goals in mind (e.g. like winning via Science/Culture/Economy route, or conquering everything), have buildings and build orders that support their goals, implement smart tactics in combat and exploration, and generally play to the best of their abilities just as a player would in their situation.

Now, I know that this might be asking for a lot, especially since I know that AI development isn't a strong priority for developers, but I'm hoping someone here might know of such games that implement these things, the more the better.

As for the games themselves, I'm not too picky. So, the game's release date doesn't matter, the setting (whether it's Sci-Fi, Medieval, Modern) doesn't matter as well, the graphics don't matter, and the genre (RTS, TBS, 4X, etc.) doesn't matter as well.

Do any games like this come to mind?

Additionally, any AI mods that improve the game's AI are welcome as well.
Race for the Galaxy is a card game, but it comes with a very good AI.
Pandora, from Proxy Studios had good AI too, but maybe through a mod?
I think Gladius could qualify too, but the AI is bad with some of the factions, and pretty good with others (I'd say the early factions have better AI).
There was a freeware Space Hulk called Alien Assault that had good AI, but it was more tactical, and it is strongly asymetric (the AI plays the easier Genestealer side).

Some games go asymetric all the way and play games that are meant to play without any AI, like Gloomhaven, Into the Breach, or trials of fire. Among the 4X, there is the Warlock series and the Sorcerer Kings: Rivals that do that (ie, the AI is not so great, but you are supposed to be the rebel). Regarding Warlock 2, I had read that the renaissance mod made its AI much better.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FreeCiv, Remnants of the Precursors both have very competent AI. As a matter of fact FreeCiv AI will fuck you up.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
M.A.X. RTS and Remnants from the precursors for TBS are your best bet.
oh, it's been a long time I didn't see anyone mention it. I had a blast with the game. The missions were quite long, though, compared to your usual non turn based RTS.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Stellaris - terrible
HOI2 - poor
HOI3 - poor[blackice make it better but it cheats by spawning units]
HOI4 - garbage[with expert ai average]

This is what i played/play extensively, i've played many more strategy games but i dont know if under the hood they get bonuses. Usually it's up to userbase and data mining to find that AI cheats, sometimes console commands are enough to switch between player and ai and check. The funniest thing of strong AI with human like features is that developers most likely would not implement it, or at least would have to dumb down from their IQ[meta strategies or other exploits, loopholes etc.] to the average pleb, hence you are back to the starting point.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Age of Empires 2 has great AI in the Definitive Edition, the harder AIs in the game don't use cheats, they just have solid build orders and relentlessly attack the player.

Nahel

Arcane
Through the ages on steam. A board game adaptation with has civ-like elements. The hard AI is dangerous even for experienced players and does not cheat

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Age of Empires 2 probably has the best AI in a strategy game ever.
Any edition or does it need to be the definitive one? I only have the 2013 HD edition, but I'm not super keen on purchasing games 3 times.
Age of Mythology: EE is also competent actually.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Age of Empires 2 probably has the best AI in a strategy game ever.
Any edition or does it need to be the definitive one? I only have the 2013 HD edition, but I'm not super keen on purchasing games 3 times.
Age of Mythology: EE is also competent actually.
Only the Definitive Edition, I forgot to mention that because I automatically think DE when I say AoE2, lol. The DE is very good and there is no reason not to play it, especially since it's like 5 Euro when discounted. The DE people are also developing a DE-like thing for Age of Mythology, so it's probably wiser just to wait for that at this point and it will probably have better AI than the EE.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Age of Empires 2 has great AI in the Definitive Edition, the harder AIs in the game don't use cheats, they just have solid build orders and relentlessly attack the player.
Yes the new DE AI is absolutely merciless at the higher difficulties. Makes for excellent practice.

mastroego

Arcane
There are indeed mods for Alpha Centauri, haven't tried them myself yet though.
Supposedly they improve the AI a lot.
There's Thinker (SMAC only I believe, should be closer to vanilla gameplay) and Will to Power (SMACX mod, alters many things and reworks the AI for the rebalanced environment).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom