Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any SNES/Genesis era fans?

RolePlayer

Augur
Wondering if any old school SNES/Genesis fans post here. What are some good/deep single player games on either system?

SNES - The first Actraiser is pretty good. Hard platforming + light city-building between the stages to relax. Romancing Saga 3 is like a FF, only you have more freedom to explore.

Genesis - Though I haven't plyed them, the Shining Force series are very much liked. SF CD (for the Sega CD, obviously) is considered the best one. If you can get a Saturn emulator that doesn't suck ass, you can try SF III, which isn't a fan favorite but was well received at the time.

As as Drog says below, Shadowrun for Genesis is good too. People dislike the Snes version, but I played a lot of it and it was okay.

Ohh, Light Crusader is from Treasure. Any Treasure game is good. For example, gunstar Heroes for Genesis.

Higher Game

Arcane
Ogre Battle is is more of a real RPG than a grind; in fact, grinding hurts your reputation in the game. The art direction is in good taste, the music is great, and the game is surprisingly very well balanced, unlike Shining Force, which I feel is more of a kid's game. It also simply feels like a classic game, not like typical D&D or Japanese wankery. It's a shame it was never released on PC, and it was too difficult for mass popularity.

lightbane

Arcane
For SNES, the Illusion of Gaia's trilogy for fun hack 'n slash games. For Genesis, Ecco 1 and 2 CD version (if you have the guts)...

Phelot

Arcane
WHat was the name of the game were you played as a little red demon that could fly around. In between missions you flew around a 3D map to new areas. It had a few RPG elements thrown in

Mega Drive:

Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3
Streets of Rage 1&2
Road Rash 1&2
General Chaos
Panzer General
phelot said:
WHat was the name of the game were you played as a little red demon that could fly around. In between missions you flew around a 3D map to new areas. It had a few RPG elements thrown in
Demon's Quest for the SNES. Trivia - the dragon was the same as the one from Ghouls and Ghosts.

Phelot

Arcane
Yes! THank you, I was killing myself trying to remember. So yeah, I recommend that :D

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For the love of god, play Landstalker for the MegaDrive! Also seconding Light Crusader. At the very least you'll see where Blizzard ripped half of Diablo from.

phelot said:
Yes! THank you, I was killing myself trying to remember. So yeah, I recommend that :D
Yeah it's Demon's Crest not Quest, sorry.

Also for the Mega Drive -
Ristar
Aladdin
Another World
Flashback
Castlevania Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Earthworm Jim 1&2
Mickey Mouse: World of Illusion

More Genesis

Kid chameleon
Alien Soldier
Ristar
Quackshot
Mickey World of Illusion
Battletoads and Double Dragon
Chakan
Shadow Dancer

Comix Zone is a favorite, but it's too fucking hard (two lives, and no continues? LOL), so I never played it for more than 2 or 3 stages.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I consider Snes to be the best console ever made due to the beautiful graphics and sheer amount of good games in almost all genres.

SNES

JRPG :

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 5,6
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 4,6
Secret of mana 1,2
Star Ocean
Bahamut Lagoon
Zelda - A link to the past
Tales Of Phantasia
Lufia 1,2
Terranigma
Breath of Fire
Shadowrun
secret of Evermore

Platform-action-adventure:

Earthworm Jim
Super Mario All stars (basically SM3)
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Out of This World
Flashback
Super turrican
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
Castlevania: Dracula X
Final Fight
ActRaiser

For Sega Saturn/Genesis I can recommend Shadowrun (not the same as snes) , Snatcher , Exile and Phantasy Star IV.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Warsong for the Genesis was a good turn based strategy game with some RPG elements thrown in. Anyone here remember that game?

Clockwork Knight said:
Comix Zone is a favorite, but it's too fucking hard (two lives, and no continues? LOL), so I never played it for more than 2 or 3 stages.
Dude you never finished it?! :o The ending even has C&C! Get yo ass back on there, look up all the secrets you can open with Roadkill including a portion of the cavern in 3-1 that let's you skip the lava sections and the green bastards that shoot snot.

Warsong for the Genesis was a good turn based strategy game with some RPG elements thrown in. Anyone here remember that game?

I had to look it up, but now I remember. It's the american name for Langrisser.

While on that note, Dark Wizard for Sega CD

Also, this genesis site is apparently very good

edit: ah, also

TMNT2.jpg
teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-iv-turtles-in-time.png

TMNT in Time for genesis. Great port of the omgwtfbbq arcade game. Got a 3d remake recently, but I think it's only for dl in xbawks. 1st pic is from the arcade, 2nd on genesis. there's a version for the Snes, but the genesis one has faster gameplay.

and

Teenage%2BMutant%2BNinja%2BTurtles%2B-%2BTournament%2BFighters%2B(U)%2B0001.png
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_Tournament_Fighters_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg
Teenage%20Mutant%20Ninja%20Turtles%20-%20Tournament%20Fighters.png

TMNT tournament fighters for Snes. Great fighting game. Balanced and polished.

and

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_-_Tournament_Fighters_3.png
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_-_Tournament_Fighters_1.png

This is the genesis version of the game. It's different from the Snes one. Also good, but people like the snes one more. The stages are fuckawesome, though.

while we're on arcade ports, captain commando

kdaic3.png

juggernaut

Educated
ghostdog said:
I consider Snes to be the best console ever made due to the beautiful graphics and sheer amount of good games in almost all genres.

This. Also, great music.

Excellent:
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Mega Man X
Chrono Trigger
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Donkey Kong Country
Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken (Jap version - if you can get the rom and translation patch, it is the superior version)

Not as excellent but still good because hey, its the Snes:
Super Castlevania IV
Mortal Kombat 2
Pocky & Rocky
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Illusion of Time/Gaia
Shadowrun
Super R-Type
Killer Instinct
Young Merlin
Lagoon
Mechwarrior
F-Zero
Zombies Ate My Neighbours
Final Fantasy 3
Super Ghouls n Ghosts

I don't remember much from the Megadrive other than Sonic 1+2, Thunderforce 4, and Snatcher.

I somehow never played Demon's Crest, looks good though.

KalosKagathos

Learned
ghostdog said:
Castlevania: Dracula X
Poor man's Rondo of Blood. Anyone interested in whipping Dracula's ass with Richter should get a PC Engine emulator instead.

Mega Man X is probably the best series of its time. Bosses can be p. cheap at times (FUCK YOU, STING CHAMELEON!), but it's still incredibly fun to play.

A user named cat

Most of the best games have already been mentioned, like Kid Chameleon and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Now some not mentioned yet for Genesis:

Ghostbusters
The Immortal
Toe Jam & Earl
General Chaos
Slime World
Haunted

TripJack

Hedonist
Phantasmal said:
Toe Jam & Earl

Now there's a weird one. Me and a buddy tried it out one day recently. I don't know if you need to read the manual or if you just need to not be drunk... but we had absolutely no idea what was going on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom