Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any other games like Larry and Sam & Max?

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI
Where it's a modern setting, filled to the brim with humour, no seriously difficult parts, has memorable protagonists and has an entertaining storyline?

spectre

Arcane
Full Throttle should fit the bill. There's more, but you would have to relax the "no seriously difficult parts" and "modern setting" bit.

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI
Let's relax it just a bit, yeah, and go try Tex Murphy games.
I'm sorry if my requirements have narrowed down your recommendations, but I'm of the imaginary stuff, like Monkey Island, The Dig and I certainly don't wanna play any 'serious' games like the Gabriel Knight series(although I'm planning to, but for later). I guess if it helps you suggest more games, you can strike down one or two of the requirements listed.

Telengard

Arcane
The out-and-out comedy games are few in number, so eliminating the fantasy and sci-fi ones tosses most of the ones available, including all of the rest of the really good ones. If you allow for Westerns in your definition of "modern", there is one of Al Lowe's others - Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Superhero League of Hoboken, Teen Agent, the Runaway series maybe (though I don't have the highest opinion of those), and those are the only games I can think of that basically fit your requirements. You should loosen up and play games outside of your milieu, you're missing tons of great stuff.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
There's always the Les Manley games which were sort of "inspired" by the Larry games :D

13162-les-manley-in-search-for-the-king-dos-screenshot-wow-tough.gif

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/les-manley-series

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fine, go for full throttle or grim fandango (or both)

though, be warned, grim fandango is actually quite illogical, even if one of the best games ever.

(Following strictly follow your requirements, except where noted)
Der clue: lulzy adventure/criminal simulator. Hard to get into due to the mini-games, but has multiple endings eh (warning: may not be actually as funny as i remember it - i do remember one of the endings is entering the seminary).
Laura Bow 2, actually 1930 but you hardly notice it. Full of funny deaths. Works if you're morbid ok!

BTW; your 'modern' requirement doesn't actually mean anyfuckingthing, since a game may be set on 1945 (not modern but bear with it) and still have half the game on pre-greek ruins, like fate of Atlantis, and the same is true of any other era.

Murders in space (give it a chance and get some photos of the items in the box). It's not actually funny, but can't be more modern than the ISS.

Assuming you meant URBAN setting, and telling you things that don't fit:
Superhero league of Hoboken (must play, lulz abound, Steve fucking Meretzky)

Sherlock holmes and the case of the Serrated Scalpel
Sherlock holmes and the case of the Rose Tattoo
Classic, but hard as nails due to 'hub' structure where you never quite can tell you completed a area. Not funny.

The spellcasting games (lulz) - (very mild) sexual stuff here, hard as nails due to being timed. And just fucking hard.
Texas murphy games (set on martian decandent city. Hard due to illogicalness, later games much better apparently).

The Last Express (it's not funnyeh, but it's one of the most unique games ever made and you should play it). Also, not exactly 'urban' but it's set on a fucking train, so it's 'modern' enough i guess.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Btw; none of the list i made above has humour 'like sam and max' and day of the tentacle. That kind of slapstick is rare on games. They DO have humor and lots of jokes (except TLE, MiS, and the sherlock holmes games), but no slapstick.

Nearest to that there is superhero league of hoboken and the spellcasting games, that depend more on the absurd, rather than of Max trying to murder everything.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I never played Toonstruck, but it might qualify too.

The discworld games and the Simon the Sorceror games qualify if you don't care about, uh, 'modern' or the fantasy setting. They're definitely urban. And can be funny.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How is Gabriel Knight any more serious than The Dig? o_O

Also, try Broken Sword.
The dig is one of most horrid LucasArts adventure game I've ever played.
Random object puzzle. Lack of good dialogues, boring characters, and a :what: ending.

:2/5:

empi

Augur
I didn't really pay attention to the thread, but you should definitely play Grim Fandango, a lot

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
The first Spellcasting is not that hard in my opinion, the next ones are brainfuck guaranteed.
Murders in Venice is quite cool too if you like detective games.

And of course, of course, Maupiti Island (and Mortville Manor). You won't get any humour and it is fucking hard. But it is a great game.

Willy Beamish is very good too.

And go play I have no mouth and I must scream, it is very funny and high-spirited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom