Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any other games like Darklands?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Has another game like Darklands ever been made?

When I say "like Darklands" I mean the following:

1) Completely open-ended: i.e., sandbox done right
2) Huge world
3) Skill-based
4) Interesting character generation (I love the backgrounds/careers and the age/experience tradeoff)
5) Challenging
6) Largely/partly text-based (not essential, but I can't imagine how else you'd get the variety of options that Darklands offers)
7) Feeling of being part of a world - and not a big part

Things I could do without:

1) Realistic yet incredibly annoying recovery times for injuries, especially at the beginning
2) The "sameness" of all the cities: it would be nice if each city had one or two unique places that could be discovered by wandering the streets
3) Lack of interactive dialog/unique NPCs

So . . . is there anything else like that? I've recently been playing Space Rangers 2 and it has certain elements in common, but it's not really an RPG.

Amasius

Augur
Fez said:
Have you played Burntime?
I have, but my memory is somewhat blurred. I remember that it is a postapocalyptic strategy game and not a RPG. But the manual has a lengthy essay (70 pages) about environmental pollution... :lol:

Callaxes

Arbiter
The Magic Candle series
UnReal World

Graphic-wise I'd say King of Dragon Pass

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
cardtrick said:
Has another game like Darklands ever been made?

When I say "like Darklands" I mean the following:

1) Completely open-ended: i.e., sandbox done right
2) Huge world
3) Skill-based
4) Interesting character generation (I love the backgrounds/careers and the age/experience tradeoff)
5) Challenging
6) Largely/partly text-based (not essential, but I can't imagine how else you'd get the variety of options that Darklands offers)
7) Feeling of being part of a world - and not a big part

Things I could do without:

1) Realistic yet incredibly annoying recovery times for injuries, especially at the beginning
2) The "sameness" of all the cities: it would be nice if each city had one or two unique places that could be discovered by wandering the streets
3) Lack of interactive dialog/unique NPCs

So . . . is there anything else like that? I've recently been playing Space Rangers 2 and it has certain elements in common, but it's not really an RPG.

Realms of Arkania 1 and 2 have a very open world, but has a plot and plot line and a finish, unlike darklands. Darklands has by far the better manual but RoA 1 and 2 have everything else you are looking for besides being completely open-ended. Plus, RoA has much better combat.

I think these games, along with a hand full of others, really tried to be rpgs, while most crpgs just try to include some rpg elements and get credit for being rpgs.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Well if we're going to recomend RoA, then why not mention Betrayal at Krondor? Ofcourse RoA is like twice the game BaK is, but if the OP is looking for nice world to explore freely, then BaK should be mentioned.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Do any of the mentioned games have the text adventure elements of Darklands (or King of Dragon Pass, which I've been playing for a few days now and loving the hell out of)?

Callaxes

Arbiter
I wished they did, but no - Darklands and KoDP are unique in this regard.

But if you want to enjoy a good sandbox game with lots of exploration go with THe Magic Candle. If you want another CRPG set in medieval Europe try UnReal World. And if you want CRPGs with lots of neats stuff in the gameplay and with a serious story and characters, try RoA or BaK.

Fuck RoA, who can play that boring shit? Darklands is much better and the combat is straightforward, just what I need for a computer game. If I wanted to sit there for hours going through a list of spells and painfully slow paced boring shit, I would just play PnP, which is much more thrilling than that shit.

Sorry pal, Darklands is one of a kind and you need to deal with that.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Roqua said:
Realms of Arkania 1 and 2 have a very open world, but has a plot and plot line and a finish, unlike darklands. Darklands has by far the better manual but RoA 1 and 2 have everything else you are looking for besides being completely open-ended. Plus, RoA has much better combat.

I think these games, along with a hand full of others, really tried to be rpgs, while most crpgs just try to include some rpg elements and get credit for being rpgs.

Go forth and conquer!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Callaxes said:
Well if we're going to recomend RoA, then why not mention Betrayal at Krondor? Ofcourse RoA is like twice the game BaK is, but if the OP is looking for nice world to explore freely, then BaK should be mentioned.

Because BaK, while being a great game, is one shot linear, has no character generation, and predetermined cut-scenes and events. I love BaK but I don't consider it a roleplaying game. Yes, you can go kill monsters over there, and over here next, before going to the next cut-scene and chapter, but it is not even close to sanbox. I just recommended a game I thought fit his criteria. I'll recommend BaK to anyone looking for a great game with a solid and engaging story, good combat, and good mmechanics, but not anyone looking for a good rpg experience.

rei1974

Scholar
Darklands is one of my favourite CRPG games ever... but sadly didnt' find anything similar so far (haven't checked KDP thought).

I must be missing something. I never really liked Darklands at all. It was just so.....well....I don't really know. I can live with a challenging learning curve, and I actually don't mind it, but something just wasn't clicking with me, so to say, in Darklands' curve. And I just found it to feel very repetitive in some ways, though not as bad as I found Oblivion, or the big Kahuna itself, Neverwinter Nights.

I'd honestly like to give it another go, but the DOSBox Deities don't seem to smile on me.....

rei1974

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow said:
I must be missing something. I never really liked Darklands at all. It was just so.....well....I don't really know. I can live with a challenging learning curve, and I actually don't mind it, but something just wasn't clicking with me, so to say, in Darklands' curve. And I just found it to feel very repetitive in some ways, though not as bad as I found Oblivion, or the big Kahuna itself, Neverwinter Nights.

I'd honestly like to give it another go, but the DOSBox Deities don't seem to smile on me.....
Woot... beware of offending one of the best rpg and games (in general) of all times! the learning curve wasn't steep at all IMHO. And the variety of situations is good, not repetitive at all.
Once you finish the main quest and all the major sub-quests, well, that's another story...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom