Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any other game like Breath of fire dragon quarter?

Emily

Arcane
I beaten that game on my first try, years ago, i still remember everything about it
The story, the setting, the 6 elite bosses at the end. Thre premise , the music the everything
i really wanna play something like that again
Anyone can help me?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'll bite. What about Breath of Fire is so special to you? If you are more specific it might be easier to recommend a game that is is similar.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'll bite. What about Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter is so special to you? If you are more specific it might be easier to recommend a game that is is similar.
I assume the main feature is the resource which makes you very strong but must be carefully used through out the game, or it is Game Over. The horror setting, claustrophobic atmosphere and rare save spots also slighty contribute to the constant feeling of being insecure.
Unfortunately I don't see any other game like this (Sweet Home and Koudelka have the horror setting in a small area, but I wouldn't say they are closed to Dragon Breath 5, in Sweet Home at least you feel insecure though, but that can be said of Dark Souls or The Dark Spyre too for example).

Emily

Arcane
I'll bite. What about Breath of Fire is so special to you? If you are more specific it might be easier to recommend a game that is is similar.
I assume the main feature is the resource which makes you very strong but must be carefully used through out the game, or it is Game Over. The horror setting, claustrophobic atmosphere and rare save spots also slighty contribute to the constant feeling of being insecure.
Unfortunately I don't see any other game like this (Sweet Home and Koudelka have the horror setting in a small area, but I wouldn't say they are closed to Dragon Breath 5, in Sweet Home at least you feel insecure though, but that can be said of Dark Souls or The Dark Spyre too for example).

Pretty much this, also I would add the combat system was good, and story was exillent, I still remember how weird it was first going into it, but now I fully understand it after thinking about it so much
It truly is one of the most epic stories in a JRPG. I also love hard games,i don't like games that have no challenge ...

I finished dark souls already sadly

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that Treasure Hunter G has a similar combat system, but it was so long ago that I played it that I am not sure anymore. It doesn't hurt to look it up.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Shadow Hearts has the horror theme. Persona does to a certain extent as well, but I can't think of anything that plays the way you want.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Games similar to Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

None.

I have yet to find a game similar to the major game mechanics of this game.

BobNotHerbert

Novice
It's a unique one, for sure. Maybe Lightning Returns. I seem to recall they ripped off Dragon Quarter elements for that. But I cannot legitimately recommend that mess of a game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a unique one, for sure. Maybe Lightning Returns. I seem to recall they ripped off Dragon Quarter elements for that. But I cannot legitimately recommend that mess of a game.
I only played the demo, but that felt more like Valkyrie Profile influenced it. Not strange when you consider the involvement Tri-Ace had in the game.

Ayreos

Augur
I agree with the general sentiment. No game really matches BoF5 when you consider it as a whole. You could even say it has rogue-like elements. In that light you might consider some rogue-likes, but you'd still be losing the great story.

Vagiel

Augur
The battle system vaguely reminds of valkyrie profile 2. The way enemies move when you move. Other than that I have nothing.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Maybe not exactly like Dragon Quarter, that one is pretty unique in the jrpg world.
But to some extent Radiant Historia used a great "playing through from multiple perspectives and timelings" mechanic, the Dark Cloud games (and to a lesser extent Terranigma) have an unconventional reincarnation/world building system, and maybe the Persona games for actually doing something interesting with the weabo formula.

Baroque, maybe. Similar bleak atmosphere and "don't fret about dying because that'll be happening a lot" attitude towards the player.

edit: dat video thumbnail. You could put it on the dictionary next to "JRPG" and it would convey the meaning perfectly

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dragon Quarter didn't give me a 'don't fret about dying' vibe. It had limited hard saves and penalized your score for using them. I played it nearly in hardcore mode, kept tension pretty high.

Emily

Arcane
Bravely Default gives you that same feeling if having to replay the same content over and over again. ;)
U dont really have to replay tho,you can win on first try if you are quarter of a dragon hehe.
The Dragon form pretty much can beat any enemy.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Baroque, maybe. Similar bleak atmosphere and "don't fret about dying because that'll be happening a lot" attitude towards the player.

edit: dat video thumbnail. You could put it on the dictionary next to "JRPG" and it would convey the meaning perfectly

PS2 version is a fucking disgrace together with the Wii version. Beating your way through the Saturn and PS1 version (even w/ zero knowledge of Japanese) is actually a more enjoyable effort.

I mean, who the fuck thought that this:
Screen-Shot-2016-02-12-at-9.57.gif

Is better than this:
baroque-ps1.gif

Hell, someone wasn't lazy to write an article about this: http://www.ribbonblack.com/2016/02/baroque-comparison-what-was-lost-in.html

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Bratislav

I fucking loved BoF Dragon Quarter and to this day I dont think theres anything that really resembles it or plays just like it.

It is hard as fuck and I loved it for being so; on an aesthetic level I found the simple story and pared down relationships to be a very welcome repose from the overwrought happenings in BoF 3 and BoF 4.

incredibly tight and layered tactical turn-based combat and game play systems that added up to more than the sum of their parts I think BoF Dragon Quarter is one of the very few ((eperimental)) JRPGs that actually succeeded in justifying its indulgence in transmogrification.

Viata

Arcane
I found the simple story and pared down relationships to be a very welcome repose from the overwrought happenings in BoF 3 and BoF 4.
Funny. I love BoF 5, it's my favorite on the series. But I remember a lot of people hating it because it is not the same as 3 and 4.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes it is the most hated BoF game and possibly the reason the franchise died. normies hated it.

It is also my favorite in the series.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only other game I can think of that had a similar long term essential resource like that was some walk along beat-em up Spawn themed game. Never played it much though, and it's obviously nothing like BoF5 in any other way.

I REALLY liked the setting for BoF5, the feeling of slowly approaching the surface and feeling tangible progress as the surroundings changed steadily was really cool. It also felt tense because it seemed like a very real possiblility that something might set your progress back by forcing you to retreat in some way.

At least the series died on a high note.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom