Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any "new" WWII flight sim out there worth playing?

Suchy

Arcane
I think I've covered all the old good WW2 sims, the last one being that russian game which name escapes at the moment. Pretty decent one, loads of different planes, mission types, realism and good looks (for early 2000's). Early missions take place over russia, then the campain advances to Germany.
But is there anything modern worth checking out? I wanna make use of my 3D monitor and head tracking, so probably something from 2007+ would do. But I don't want any arcade shit, decent realism is a must.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
There have been several expansion packs and sequels to IL-2 Sturmovik, the game you likely played, so that would be the best place to start. Il-2 1946 has all of the content in one giant compilation. You can get it at gog or steam, and I think physical copies are still in print.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Might not be what you're looking for, but in some ways Men of War is quite realistic (at least to my uneducated ass, and definitely when compared to its far more successful and patently inferior competitor, Company of Heroes).

At the very least, it's hard as balls. And good fun!

[edit]

OHHHHH. You meant flight sim. Feel free to ignore my post.

bhlaab said:
Call of Duty World at War

sigh.jpg

random_encounter

Educated
IL2-Sturmovik: Birds of Prey just came out for PCs from the same crew that did the original IL2. Although it came out for consoles first, it's definitely not what I'd call an arcade flier unless you choose to play it at the lowest realism setting.

Set Realism to maximum, and all you have is head-look, instrumentation in your cockpit, and harder flight dynamics (i.e. stalling is only one problem). You'll have to eyeball your enemies to find them. Damage to certain parts of the plane will have an affect on performance. Having a flight stick almost goes without saying at this level.

Suchy

Arcane
Sweet, somehow I totally missed IL2's sequels. Definitelly gonna play 1946 and Birds of Prey. Just that "quest" compass for consoletards...
Rise of Flight looks decent too, might be next in the queue.
Thanks for suggestions.

Luzur

Good Sir
"Steiner... is a myth. Men like him are our last hope... and in that sense, he is a truly dangerous man."

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
ecliptic said:
IL-2 has a good mod community too, if I'm not mistaken.

All Aircraft Mod... you know you want to fly the ME-323 Gigant, you just know it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom