Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any more nice games from teh east?

baronjohn

Cipher
I've played the Pathologic, The Void, Cargo, Boiling Point, Xenus 2, Precursors, STALKERs and liked them all. What else am I missing?

Raapys

Arcane
The easterners are actually pretty good at making games. Well, if you ignore the bugs, that is. Is it because of lower salaries, thus allowing them/investors to take more risks?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Actually soviet countries suck at making games harder than anyone else (well except the dudes from India - but that's the bottom). There are of course good ones, but they are very very rare and West has much more good ones.

The reason why it seems that Sovok can into games to you is because only mediocrity and better gets published by 1C in your country. Even indie games will seem like something good compared to what Sovok devs churn out 95% of the time.

Raapys

Arcane
Ah, yeah, guess that makes sense. Still, I'm glad we have them. Stalkers, Space Rangers, Pathologic&Void, etc., are actually a steep incline from what the west's been producing lately.

Though it looks like Stalker might be taking a turn for the worse, next game being a console title and whatnot.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Play Death to Spies.

In this game you can:

-Disguise yourself as the enemy with various levels of disguises affecting the suspicion level of your enemies.
-Look through keyholes for potential dangers
-Hide the bodies of killed/incapacitated enemies
-Pick locks
-And more!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stalkers, Space Rangers, Pathologic&Void, etc., are actually a steep incline from what the west's been producing lately.

If we'll count EU as a part of "West" then not really. Eurodevs also make worthwhile games.
It's just the Kwa that really sucks.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Get Blitzkrieg series and Codename Panzers Phase one and two for some good WW2 action. Used to play them like crazy back when tactical RTS was cool. I still fire up Phase two when I feel nostalgic. Oh, and Rush for Berlin and its expansion Rush for the Bomb is good shit too. Get those first.

Raapys

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Stalkers, Space Rangers, Pathologic&Void, etc., are actually a steep incline from what the west's been producing lately.

If we'll count EU as a part of "West" then not really. Eurodevs also make worthwhile games.
It's just the Kwa that really sucks.
Well, you've had Piranha Bytes, but what other western-european developers have made a good game the last ten years? Remedy, Blue Byte, Ubisoft, Lionhead, Crytek, Rockstar North, DICE, Funcom, they all suck. You've Sports Interactive and Creative Assembly I guess, but they're still making the same games they made over ten years ago. Like 13+ similar Championship Manager games and 7-8 Total War games with very few differences with the exception of the Medieval->Rome jump.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Another two - Paradox (Swedish) and Cyanide (French)

Granted you may say that BBLE is good because of the original (e.g. boardgame) while Cyanide just ported it and Paradox's neverending addons are more like DLCs (if not patches) and you'll be right - but those games are still good, complex and very addictive.
I may add certain Czech devs too for some butthurt.

You may say - but that's not much and you'll be right again. However Sovok gamedev became pretty stale as well - many games recommended in this thread are 5 years old or more and if we are to dig through eurogames of that time we will find just as good examples.

Would've added Battlefront with Combat Mission series but damn they just keep releasing content packs with online DRM instead of improving their current games.

baronjohn

Cipher
Thanks guys, I've made notes and I'll check out the games as time permits.

I've looked at Space Rangers 2 but the UI looks like it's got cancer so I'm discouraged. I'll get to it eventually.

I've only played an hour or so of Cargo but what I saw was awesome

I should mention that I've also played You Are Empty and They're Alive and liked them both, even though they're generally considered to be somewhat bad, so feel free to suggest bad games too

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've looked at Space Rangers 2 but the UI looks like it's got cancer so I'm discouraged. I'll get to it eventually.

SR2 UI is very comfortable so quit whining, play it and don't miss out on a great sandbox game.

Raapys

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Another two - Paradox (Swedish) and Cyanide (French)

Granted you may say that BBLE is good because of the original (e.g. boardgame) while Cyanide just ported it and Paradox's neverending addons are more like DLCs (if not patches) and you'll be right - but those games are still good, complex and very addictive.
I may add certain Czech devs too for some butthurt.

You may say - but that's not much and you'll be right again. However Sovok gamedev became pretty stale as well - many games recommended in this thread are 5 years old or more and if we are to dig through eurogames of that time we will find just as good examples.

Would've added Battlefront with Combat Mission series but damn they just keep releasing content packs with online DRM instead of improving their current games.
Completely forgot about Paradox of course. Yeah, they're definitely good, even if they are still basically just making Europa Universalis again and again. Less sure about Cyanide. That's the guys who keep spamming us with cycling manager games, isn't it? Blood Bowl was decent, but yeah, not exactly an original IP or idea.

I guess I just feel the games coming from the east are somehow more creative and daring. They take chances and crash and burn most of the time, but every now and again there'll be a (buggy) gem showing up.

baronjohn said:
Thanks guys, I've made notes and I'll check out the games as time permits.

I've only played an hour or so of Cargo but what I saw was awesome

I should mention that I've also played You Are Empty and They're Alive and liked them both, even though they're generally considered to be somewhat bad, so feel free to suggest bad games too

Only faggots don't play SR2. Amazing game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Metro I guess if you like shit like stalker.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Star Wolves 1 is fun. 2 is horrid shit. Never played 3 but it is deemed to be good again.

Death to Spies and its sequel are like unpolished hardcore hitman games. Missions take ages and even a tiny slip up will fuck you up. Awesome.

The Witcher was a nice action rpg. 2 is looking good as well.

King Arthur was a very fun and interesting Total Waresque game with lots of text based quests and c&c. Quite an unexpected little gem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom