Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any Gothic 1 mods/patches/whatever?

Stabwound

Arcane
About to attempt Gothic 1 again. The first time I played it was on an older computer with a bug that made all items in the inventory invisible, so it was far too much of a pain in the ass to play.

I'm just wondering if there are any graphical mods or ways to force AA so it looks a little less like a festering pile of brown vomit. Not to get into a graphics debate here, but you can't tell me it doesn't look kind of shitty.

Anything that will enhance the game experience, I'm all for.

edit: also, anyone know how to fix the issue with videos not playing (including the intro videos, etc)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
There is an unofficial patch, made by those who did the unofficial patch for Gothic 2, but I do not know what it's worth. I do know however that I got some quest bugs with their G2 patch, solved as soon as I removed it. I'll probably play G2 100% vanilla if I ever replay it again. If anything I advise caution if you want to use their G1 patch.

Did you have the latest patch already installed when you previously G1? I think I heard about the invisible inventory before but I'm not sure if it was in a patch log or somewhere else.

I think there is a graphic update mod but I wasn't interested so I didn't touch it. You can probably find some info about it there: http://www.worldofgothic.com/

When you say the video do not play, do you mean they do not play at all or they actually play and you can hear the sound but the screen stays black? If it's the latter, I can help you: open your gothic.ini file and disable video scaling. The file should already have help notes within but look for something like "scaleVideos" and change the value to "0". If the videos do not play at all, then I don't know what could cause that.

Stabwound

Arcane
Gragt said:
There is an unofficial patch, made by those who did the unofficial patch for Gothic 2, but I do not know what it's worth. I do know however that I got some quest bugs with their G2 patch, solved as soon as I removed it. I'll probably play G2 100% vanilla if I ever replay it again. If anything I advise caution if you want to use their G1 patch.

Did you have the latest patch already installed when you previously G1? I think I heard about the invisible inventory before but I'm not sure if it was in a patch log or somewhere else.

I think there is a graphic update mod but I wasn't interested so I didn't touch it. You can probably find some info about it there: http://www.worldofgothic.com/

When you say the video do not play, do you mean they do not play at all or they actually play and you can hear the sound but the screen stays black? If it's the latter, I can help you: open your gothic.ini file and disable video scaling. The file should already have help notes within but look for something like "scaleVideos" and change the value to "0". If the videos do not play at all, the I don't know what could cause that.
Hey, thanks a lot. That did fix the in-game videos.

I'm not sure which patch I was using before, but now I read that it is an issue with modern ATI video cards. This computer also has an ATI card, so I'm hoping I don't have the same trouble. =\

I also figured out that you can put any resolution you want in the gothic.ini and it'll work. It actually looks pretty nice on 1920x1080 with forced 8xAA and 16xAF, it's surprising. I also used a texture mod, but I don't even know if it's better or not because I don't remember what the originals are like. There's also a mod to remove the framerate cap of 25, which is like night and day.

Not too bad.

So the videos not displaying was an issue with ATI cards? Well good to know, I looked them up on youtube my self after having "viewed" then while playing the game.

Apart form that the game ran very well for me, no crashes or so except for the very end. There appears to be a bug that when a sound file (or possibly other file) is missing the game crashes. In the ending dungeon you have to fight several creatures that have some of their sound files missing. Thus causing the game to crash, updating to latest patch doesn't fix it to my knowledges, I remember fixing it by getting a file extractor, unpacking the game files and moving the sound file to the correct folder.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only mod I know of that hasn't been mentioned is the mod that adds the In Extremo performance back into the game for the Englsh version.

Stabwound

Arcane
Is there a way to unstick NPCs from solid objects? Twice now I've had it happen, and I've only played a few hours. The first time I had to just reload the game, because a mosnter got stuck in a tree and the guy with me just froze in the spot. The second time was an NPC that got stuck in a table in his house, and if I entered the house he got angry. I imagine it'll probably happen again.

bhlaab

Erudite
DON'T install the fan patch, it will bug the NPCs so that when you KO them they immediately stand back up and you can't loot them. There aren't any major bugs in the patched retail version besides Gorn flipping out at the mines and that sort of fixes itself.

However I do recommend:

-Widescreen mod to force any resolution you want
-Framerate unlocker, vanilla game is capped at 25
-Hi res texture pack (mostly textures taken from Gothic 2 so don't worry about some cunt modder taking 'artistic license')

denizsi

Arcane
bhlaab said:
-Framerate unlocker, vanilla game is capped at 25

:x I didn't know this. I've always thought either my system was too shitty for the game or the game had shit optimization.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, it's so much nicer at 60fps compared to the standard framerate. I didn't even know about that mod the first time I tried to play it.

Still having problems with sticking faggot NPCS though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom