Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Foregone looks pretty nice.

It's a crime how underappreciated Aeterna Noctis is. It's a great metroidvania and I'm 100% playing the DLC and Aeterna Lucis when it comes out. Hopefully, that DLC and sequel means that it did well enough money-wise for them.
Aeterna Noctis and Death's gambit are amongst the greatest 'vanias.

randir14

Augur
I just finished the demo for this one. Good animations and responsive controls, but the level design is kind of boring.

Infinitum

Scholar
Playing Aeterna Noctis on the harder difficulty, have gotten to the 7th door in the temple of kings/the mothership and considering it calling it quits. Game was good up until the teleport arrows, like a more choppily animated hollow knight with slightly upped difficulty. Now it just feels like a chore what with how clunky their controls are and how every platforming segment has to be designed around them. Spikes everywhere works in games like IWBTG and SMB because they have simple, precise and responsive control schemes whereas Aeterna just.. doesn't.

Also why the fuck isn't standing still whilst aiming the default in a game where just about every shot is spike-adjacent in freefall. It can be changed in the settings by double-binding the dedicated button but sheesh.

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
Playing Aeterna Noctis on the harder difficulty, have gotten to the 7th door in the temple of kings/the mothership and considering it calling it quits. Game was good up until the teleport arrows, like a more choppily animated hollow knight with slightly upped difficulty. Now it just feels like a chore what with how clunky their controls are and how every platforming segment has to be designed around them. Spikes everywhere works in games like IWBTG and SMB because they have simple, precise and responsive control schemes whereas Aeterna just.. doesn't.

Also why the fuck isn't standing still whilst aiming the default in a game where just about every shot is spike-adjacent in freefall. It can be changed in the settings by double-binding the dedicated button but sheesh.
Bro, why are you doing that to yourself. The harder difficulty is for elite pro gamers. Just change the settings and enjoy the game. I won't tell anybody.
Also, complaining about something that can be changed in the settings while acknowledging that it can be changed in the settings...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Also, complaining about something that can be changed in the settings while acknowledging that it can be changed in the settings...

Because it's retarded not to have it as the default

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Bro, why are you doing that to yourself. The harder difficulty is for elite pro gamers. Just change the settings and enjoy the game. I won't tell anybody.
As someone who has beaten both modes back to back (harder was the second run), there's.... quite a noticeable difference in difficulty in the temple of kings' doors, especially in the latter ones. The easier mode is definitely the one that should be tackled first.

Infinitum

Scholar
Like you have someone who'd listen. Anyhow, why are you even bringing up the difficulty? I certainly didn't. Pointing out that the control scheme and overall platforming design is funky doesn't detract from the good bits (and they're in there). The developer seem to have this From Software thing going where most everything is well designed and interesting, and then there's just some inexplicable jank from the left field like the aforementioned drifting-whilst-aiming or not being able to double-jump whilst pressing down or whatever that should have been fixed day one of playtesting.

HansDampf

Arcane
I gave HAAK a shot and played it for one hour. Maybe I played too many MVs latey, but I find it exceptionally boring. What's supposed to be so great about it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom