Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good historical war RPGs?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Anyone know of any good ones? Silent Storm is a good strategy/rpg hybrid until the mech suit things kind of mess it up. Have I missed anything worth playing?

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hammer and Sickle obviously. It's kind of an advanced mod for Silent Storm but standalone. Very difficult, too.
C&C, interesting characters, challenging.
You are basically a russian agent that wants to prevent WW3 from happening though you might as well cause WW3 voluntarily or involuntarily if you don't use your brain enough.

Also, if you like Jagged Alliance 2 you might give Vietnam SOG '69 a shot. Awesome mod for Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business, you play a SOG commander that wreaks havoc in 'Nam. Not really much of C&C, though, even more tactics than Hammer and Sickle.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Grom, but not much of an RPG and not much historical either.
Lionheart, RPG with historical premises.

Fez

Erudite
The "No PK mod" was a great idea. For anyone that felt annoyed by the introduction of those robot tank abominations it should improve the game a good deal.

Romitch

Novice
Hmm, I was gonna check out at least the demo for Hammer & Sickle and Silent Storm, but it sounds like H&S has starforce on the demo? Does the SS demo have it also?

And I've seen that the full versions both have starforce. Should I not waste my time?

Also - Ion Flux, are you looking strictly for turn based?

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think there are different versions, some with some without Starforce. The 3CD version should be fine for instance. If you can't find it I could send it to you via IRC or something.

Ebonsword

Arcane
There's Operation Darkness for the Xbox 360 (if you consider werewolf commandoes and vampire Nazis "historical").

The reviews for it have not been very good, though.

Durwyn

Prophet
Erm... Teudogar and the alliance with rome. Can't belive nobody mentioned it.. Maybe it's not war but surely historical

cutterjohn

Cipher
...and Spiderweb games did an RPG set in Roman Britain allowing you to play either Romans or Britains. IIRC he re-did the game a few years back, but the name escapes me ATM... (It's not really totally historical as it does feature fantasy themes and premises not present in teh real wurld...)

There's not really much of a selection of "historical" games other than tactical/strategy games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cutterjohn said:
...and Spiderweb games did an RPG set in Roman Britain allowing you to play either Romans or Britains. IIRC he re-did the game a few years back, but the name escapes me ATM... (It's not really totally historical as it does feature fantasy themes and premises not present in teh real wurld...)

There's not really much of a selection of "historical" games other than tactical/strategy games.

*rolls d20 for knowledge check*
*success*
The name was "Nethergate"

Ion Flux

Savant
Sorry, got busy with work and failed to keep up with this thread.

Thor Kaufman said:
Hammer and Sickle obviously.

Yeah, I probably should play this. I heard mixed reviews on the Codex, but if it uses the Silent Storm engine, I'm sure it's worth the time.

Thor Kaufman said:
Also, if you like Jagged Alliance 2 you might give Vietnam SOG '69 a shot.

Yes, it's great. In fact, I need to reinstall UB and play it again because I never managed to finish it the first time.

LCJr. said:
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/
Look in the files section for Cookie's No PK mod.

Thank you! I'm going to check this out.

FrancoTAU said:
Wasn't there a game Another War that was a World War 2 RPG?

Yeah, I played the demo for this years ago and I remember it being pretty awful. I can remember eating lots and lots of cheese to regain my health. Cheese.

Romitch said:
Also - Ion Flux, are you looking strictly for turn based?

Not necessarily. Just good ones if they exist.

Durwyn said:
Erm... Teudogar and the alliance with rome. Can't belive nobody mentioned it.. Maybe it's not war but surely historical

Yeah, this looks really intriguing. I'll have to check it out.

LCJr.

Erudite
Ion Flux said:
buccaroobonzai said:
Twilight 2000 is a war RPG, in a post-apoc setting.

Is this PnP only? I couldn't find any references to a cRPG with this title. I'm way too nerdophobic for PnP play.

It's an oldie by Paragon so hit the abandonware sites. Suppose I should also mention it really sucks and I used to play the PnP version.

FYI you play computer games and you've registered on a CRPG forum. Whether you want to admit or not you are officially a nerd. Deny it or revel in it your choice.

Ion Flux

Savant
LCJr. said:
Ion Flux said:
buccaroobonzai said:

Is this PnP only? I couldn't find any references to a cRPG with this title. I'm way too nerdophobic for PnP play.

It's an oldie by Paragon so hit the abandonware sites. Suppose I should also mention it really sucks and I used to play the PnP version.

FYI you play computer games and you've registered on a CRPG forum. Whether you want to admit or not you are officially a nerd. Deny it or revel in it your choice.

No, I understand that I am a nerd. It's just that if I give myself over to it completely, then it's really tough for me to pretend that I'm cool ... occasionally.

LCJr.

Erudite
You didn't say but have you tried Jagged Alliance 1+2?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
LCJr. said:
Ion Flux said:
buccaroobonzai said:

That was the first PC game I ever bought and dare you say it sucks! I spent many hours playing that fucker. It was difficult and once I was able to get the "Corporal" patch, many years after I originally bought the boxed version, the game was far better.

I never played the PnP version.

Romitch

Novice
I think there are different versions, some with some without Starforce. The 3CD version should be fine for instance. If you can't find it I could send it to you via IRC or something.

Good to know that Silent Storm has a potentially non-starforced version. Are there any [legal] versions of Hammer & Sickle without starforce - boxed or digi distribution? Of course if the demo apparently has invasive drm, prospects aren't looking so good on the full version. How are the choices and consequences in Silent Storm (versus H&S)?

It's too bad there aren't more historical, non-fantasy/scifi rpgs, but I guess at least some options exist. Decent American wild west rpgs would also be nice to see.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Mission_Crush

1194475773-00.jpg

Try 50 mission crush. It's not an rpg like we know it, nor a flightsim or a wargame. It's however something extremely addictive.

Fez

Erudite
Trash, you can't hotlink images from MobyGames. It will just display a blank image to everyone else who hasn't been to that page. If you want to display the image you have to host it somewhere and then link to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom