Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good games to play with Rhasody of Fire?

Heresiarch

Prophet
You know, epic hack and slash games in which you can kick orcs and demon asses with two handed swords and awesum magiks, while listening to Emerald Sword, yelling "FOR THE KING, FOR THE LAND, FOR THE MOUNTAINS!!1" is pretty exciting gaming experience.

I had similar experience playing Demon Stone but too bad it's too short. Recently I've been playing Shin Sangoku Mosou 5 and it was awesome, very good for blowing off the steam after being bossed around by my boss. Unfortunately I don't think Rhapsody of Fire style does really fit ancient Chinese background. :|

So, any good recommendations?

Don't recommend:

Dragon Age
Diablo

These two above just doesn't fit power metal.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Baldur's Gate 2, mainly SoA, but also ToB. It's basically all you could hope for if you're looking for an 'epic' rpg experience.

I think IWD and IWD 2 also fit the role nicely, tho not as good as BG 2 SoA.

While this might sound strange at first, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 would really work well with such music.Exploring the land with a band of warriors and wizards, befriending dragons to aid you in your quest(s), besieging castles with a loyal (yet small) army, all that you could hope for! (of course, most of this would happen only if you'd play a well scripted, nicely written map/campaign, but don't worry, there are zounds of these, the game having easily over 6k maps)
Personally, 40-50% of my fond gaming memories are related to this game (WoG having an amazing campaign, especially A Life of A-D-V-E-N-T-U-R-E. Too bad I was playing an earlier version of WoG, in which the campaign wasn't complete. I really should retry it one day). I also strongly recommend the custom campaign The Song of Valorin, which is very, very nicely done (and there are several more, but sadly, since I haven't played the game for almost a year, I can't remember their names).

These are the ones that sprung through my head right now, I'll post more later on.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Nah, I'm too el33t to own stupid consoles.

Actually I'm too poor to buy PS3.

Now I wish Koei will make a game like Caesar Musou, Spartan Musou or Arthur Musou, using a hybrid mix engine between Musou series and Total War series. Imagine controlling a Caesar equipped like a spartan warrior hackn' and slashn' through hundreds of Gauls or hoplites with a rune carved gladius using Dante (the DMC one) and Kratos style huge combos on a big, semi-sandbox style battlefield...that'll be HEAVAN

Garm

Learned
I think you should concentrate on finding good music before worrying about games. :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Heresiarch said:
Nah, I'm too el33t to own stupid consoles.

Actually I'm too poor to buy PS3.

Now I wish Koei will make a game like Caesar Musou, Spartan Musou or Arthur Musou, using a hybrid mix engine between Musou series and Total War series. Imagine controlling a Caesar equipped like a spartan warrior hackn' and slashn' through hundreds of Gauls or hoplites with a rune carved gladius using Dante (the DMC one) and Kratos style huge combos on a big, semi-sandbox style battlefield...that'll be HEAVAN
Warriors: Legends of Troy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cyyOF6QZVU

I think there was a Spartan beat-em-up for the Gamecube, though not Koei.

Also, I haven't found the time to play it yet, but in the Kingdom Under Fire series you can switch between commanding your army as an RTS and playing as a single hero character. KUF2 is coming out soon, and will be on the PC too.

I love the Musou games too. Just something about playing as a soldier in an army is awesome. I don't even care that I can slaughter everyone, actually. Though everybody says they're mind-numbing and repetitively easy, they can get quite hard when facing a tough NPC and when you need to race around and make sure your allied NPCs that you need to keep alive aren't dying. If only hard mode meant better AI (especially that of generic soldiers) instead of more damage, then Musou would be glorious.

I really do mean to play the Kingdom Under Fire series though.

Well, it needs to be a cheesy game, surely. I would recommend against an RPG, because RPGs are too slow to keep up with the awesomeness. It would need to be a fantasy themed hack n slash. With dragons. It needs dragons. Ummm....

God, Rhapsody of Fire is so gay.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Oh, also, Gundam Musou 2 is probably the best of the more recent musous. In terms of better AI, and the ability to dash.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Shagnak said:
Heresiarch said:
So, any good recommendations?
I don't know about good, but there's Sacred 2.
It even has a power metal theme song (by Blind Guardian, I think).

Wow, that looks pretty awesome. I'm definetly going to try it.

I can't believe I'm dropping games (with awesome music) like Deus ex, PS:T, Lazarus and go for cheesy power metal and braindead hacknslashes.

Martin

Educated
Is that one of them retro romantic medieval bs "power" metal bands?

Something actiony like mentioned above, severance if you have the patience, maybe Rune, Mount and Blade vanilla or with a good mod.

Or just do some head banging if you have long enough hair to do the spin thing while drunk/high or whatever.

BUT Speaking of Mount and Blade does anyone know if there is going to be a "The last days" mod version for the current Mount and Blade version anytime soon?

I know I know its LOTR, but it was a great Mount and Blade mod, wtf happened to that project?

Micmu

Magister
Since this is powar "metal" you're torturing yourself with, any game with gay romance will do.
There, I said it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom