Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another RPGCodex Bloodbowl league thread

Castanova

Prophet
Thanks for the tips. After a few more games, I'll prolly play a bunch of exhibitions with all the different races, though, to build up the experience. I haven't tried a AGI team yet.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Be sure to try a few matches in matchmaking as soon as you feel confident. Playing against a human player is something very different. The tactics you use vs. the computer (it can be good to just make a wall at the line of scrimmage, for instance), don't hold up against a human player.

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Totally true, I played around 50 games vs. the computer in last years free version and while I definitely found some good ways to develop some of my players it's almost a different game vs. real people tactics wise. Campaign and exhibition matches are pretty much to learn the rules, see some skills. Other skills you didn't need vs. the CPU are really great against a human player, side step for example. Since I'm also waiting for them to finish and a new season to start. maybe we can play some games. Since I haven't found a way to make exhibition matches online I guess we would have to play Auld World (correct me if I'm mistaken, guys) and create a new team each time we want to change races. Coach name is toastboy, GMT+1.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, this league looks like it could very well finish soon, so there'll be a chance to join up. Five matches for everyone to go, Mantiis said.

Mantiis

Cipher
I didn't realise this but the games weren't validated so I went ahead and validated all games. Which has moved the day on. I have updated the first post with the details of the new matches and the current ranking. OSK has taken the lead. League I am disappointed in you.

Dirk and OSK also have level ups as a result of the match validation.

I need to get tackle before I play him. :/

hof10.jpg

hof2u.jpg

hof3.jpg

hof4i.jpg

hof50.jpg

Mantiis

Cipher
I am still trying to work out 'Survivor', looking at the teams it has clearly got something to do with taken off of the pitch. Maybe it means this person was injured, taken off and survived (ie not dead?).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mantiis said:
I am still trying to work out 'Survivor', looking at the teams it has clearly got something to do with taken off of the pitch. Maybe it means this person was injured, taken off and survived (ie not dead?).

I actually suspect it is simply the amount of matches played. Kind of a boring statistic.

Castanova

Prophet
Grunker said:
Be sure to try a few matches in matchmaking as soon as you feel confident.

So I did a random MM in the Auld World league last night. Since I know the Norse the best, I picked them again. Ended up against a TV ~1300 Necromantic team. I named the match "Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't."

I received first and I failed to pick up the ball 3 times in a row. Plus, I knocked down a couple of his better players and tried to gang-foul them (one time I had 4 dudes assisting) and failed to injure anyone. Finally, I pick up the ball on turn 4 but wasn't able to run it in for a TD before the half ended. I did manage to KO two guys, though, on normal blocks.

Second half starts off well for me.. he only has 9 guys vs. my 11. I quickly took the physical lead and knocked the ball loose around turn 12 plus I KO'd another two of guys (all these KO's after giving up on foul attempts). So then I'm sitting pretty to get a TD with 2 re-rolls left... except I roll double skulls twice in a row, two turns in a row. I didn't even pick up the ball until turn 15! On turn 16, I ran a guy to the end zone for a desperate game-winning pass but he failed the GFI and stunned himself.

Ended up 0-0. Definitely learned my lesson about focusing on the ball and not the beatdowns. I was already up 11 players to 7 and yet I was wasting re-rolls on Blocks while my guy hadn't even picked up the ball yet on turn 12-14 in the opponent's side!

Fun game, though. Good experience. The other guy was lol'ing over how many guys I KO'd. He was lucky cuz no one got permanently injured.

Castanova

Prophet
good little toastboy said:
Coach name is toastboy, GMT+1.

I'm in GMT -5. Not sure what's the best time to play. If we tried for a weekday, I guess if I got home from work ASAP we could play around midnight your time. Do you work or are you a student? If you have free time during the day, I could probably play right before work... so like, 1:30PM your time?

Otherwise, a weekend would obviously be easy. I'm Castanova on there.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Grunker said:
Well, this league looks like it could very well finish soon, so there'll be a chance to join up. Five matches for everyone to go, Mantiis said.

I might have to get in on this if the new fan I installed can keep the game from crashing so much.

I'm not very experienced with the game, but it's pretty damn fun. I don't even know what teams I like the most yet, most of them seem pretty cool.

Mantiis

Cipher
Dirk and I just had our game and if the spectator score is any indication it was an average one:

There was a bit of talk before this game of stabbing and fouling so I was looking forward to the blood being spilt. As a result of the coin toss I was recieving first and as the kick off occurs a blitz event is rolled. "Bugger" I thought as Dirk had lined up the Dark Elves in a position which allowed a freny off of the pitch in the first turn. No matter. Anyway the ball was going to land near one side so I think the idea was to make a hole so that Dirk's dark elves could get into a position to recieve and so she blitzes one of my guys and rolls skulls and skulls on the re-roll(there may have been a both down in there somewhere which is useless against norse). Turnover. Turn 1 begins.

I am eager to start the piling on with my beserkers and I proceed to do so after I get some players near the ball. I believe in the first couple of turns there may have been one player taken off as a KO for the Darkies but no damage. I curse my luck, pick up the ball and make a little wall for myself but leave a risky blitz attempt for Dirk to see how she plays. High risk high reward as it turns out but smart about it. She gets people in position and then goes for the ball with a witch elf. From memory there were skulls and she falls flat on her arse. While all this was going on the Troll and his lineman friends were making a hole on the line of scrimmage so I decide to move the ball carrier to that general area as there was a line of darkies directly in front. I will point out now that I was doing my best to cause some damage but the best I could do was KOs. Even with the gang fouling.

The Elves were losing players to KOs so it was just a matter of time before I make a break for the line and do so with the ball carrier. I stall on the line for a turn but the elves dodge well and get some people back which worry me enough into scoring. Norse up 1-0.

As I kick off I believe there was a blitz event. The ball is going to land really deep and to one side so I make a hole and get a guy or two into the elves' half. On Dirks turn she gets a guy back there using almost all of her movement takes a couple of steps towards the other direction and launches a ball to a witch elf on the halfway line. Perfect pass and catch. "Crap" I think to myself "She can still score". The witch elf is on one flank so I migrate all my guys across and lock up as many as I can with the troll. I manage to frenzy a beserker into a position which was touching the ball handler but in my eagerness to do damage I choose to pile onto the fallen. Not only do I not do damage I now have a prone player where I could have pressured the ball carrier.

After a bit of pushing and shoving (and stabbing and fouling) the ball was knocked out of the Witch Elf's hands and into my thrower's hands (and still no injuries!). It was turn 8 and I wasn't going to score but for some reason I didn't even try a pass for spp. Ah well.

Second half and I have a full compliment on the pitch (so strange) whereas Dirk has about 9 on with the rest having a snooze in the KO box. I kick off and an event happens. God knows what it was. Anyway Dirk goes to pick up the ball and fails, a turnover occurs and I take the oppurtunity press up the field. I manage to get a player on one side of the ball (Go For It!) to make it more difficult for Dirk to pick it up. On Dirks turn she runs the player in, picks up the ball, dodges out, runs away (come back here!!) lines up the throw and even with the pass skill fumbles. Turnover. As the ball is now closer to the middle of the pitch I am able to get 4 players up to it and surround it. More players are getting knocked out and by players I mean Dark Elves. Still no damn injuries and we are both still fouling and stabbing.

After a few turns Dirk blocks a player onto the ball and the ball bounces into the hand of a werewolf. Lucky me. At this point I think Dirk was happy to get away from the game without injuries because there was a tendency to not pick up players that were prone (with norse covering them). The Werewolf did have some competition but because he had block he was able to get away and hold on the touchdown line. I proceeded to block, pile on and gang foul as many times as I possibly could. No send offs, no injuries and no blood. Dang it. On my turn 16 I decide to just run it in so that the werewolf would level. And he did. Norse win 2-0.

There was talk of injuries during this match, lord knows we tried with all the stabbing and fouling (both sides fouled!!) but we just couldn't get the blood flowing. Forgive us. :(

Did I miss anything Dirk?

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Mantiis and I managed to get our game out of the way, and was it a game full of bizarre consequences with little else.

I think he managed to KO about 6 of my players, no injuries whatsoever. Lots of fouling so it's really kind of strange that I managed to get so 'lucky.'

On the other hand I had several shit rolls at the start, some right after re-rolls were made. This resulted in Mantiis gaining an early player advantage and more or less keeping things locked down for the rest of the game.

A combination of good play on his part and some early shit rolls resulted in a game of 2-0.

EDIT: The write-up Mantiis gave sounds about right, it was pretty uneventful all-in-all. Which is quite a fluke for how much we tried and the teams we were using(I think only the troll had over 8 AV).

Castanova

Prophet
Man, this game is not very active in the U.S. apparently. I went on last night to try to find a random matchmaking game and couldn't find any opponent at all!

All the more reason to get in on the next season of the league ;)

SkeleTony

Augur
Yeah if you guys have an uneven number or otherwise need another coach I would like to give it a whirl. I have not played this game against human players(just AI) and have not played the tabletop BB game in 15-20 years I think so I will be of limited challenge to anyone.

I play orcs almost exclusively but would be willing to play a different team if need be.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
I think it would be pretty gnarly if we took on some new blood after this season is up, but I'm not really in the position to make that kind of decision.

Mantiis

Cipher
There is no reason to not take on new blood so when this league ends we can look at more coaches, hell some coaches might even leave the current league as there is still ~4 games each to go and that is what tends to happen around this stage in the past.

Castanova

Prophet
If I may make a suggestion: if we end up with 8 or more people in the next "season" it might be best to split up into two divisions. Each coach plays the other coaches in his/her division one time and then we end the season with a seeded single-elimination tourney... or something along these lines. Basically the idea is to keep the number of weeks committed down.

SkeleTony

Augur
Kool. I tried my first online match(via "Matchmaking") and lost 1-0 to a Chaos team(I was orcs) but I was just trying to get my feet wet anyway. Guy was obviously better than me and a veteran of the online matches.

Castanova

Prophet
What time zone are you on? I've been having trouble finding people through matchmaking when I go on.

That's a good result if the guy was a veteran, sounds like! Did any of your guys get injured?

Mantiis

Cipher
I have been playing vampire on the campaign (vs comp) and I think I like them although I am having horrible luck injury wise. 2 dead vampires and about 3 dead thralls in ~8 games. The vampires have regen too.

Bloodlust is very manageable and the vampires themselves are elves and chaos warriors in one. Having said all that I get the impression that I will rage a fair bit vs a real person. Seriously considering taking them up in a new league even if we keep the option of old teams.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, I played OSK. Gonna be a quick write-up, since I'm going to bed and he's, hrhrm, "not available for questioning."

For anyone interested, the replay is here.

OSK wins the coin-toss and let's me recieve. It should be said that I'm down a lot of players, so I have a mercenary on the pitch and no substitutes. On the bright side I got some inducement money for which I bought a re-roll and a wizard. The ball goes off field, and I hand it to Prosper. I cage up, some pushing and some fightan' start.

I knock out one of OSK's elves, he knock's one of mine out. Then he knocks out another one, and injure two. I use my apothecary on the last one.

Slowly but steadily my team, not very well leveled compared to OSK's, eats the grass. He knocks down Prosper, the ball goes to my blitzer instead. He knocks down that blitzer, picks up the ball, and goes for the end-zone.

BUT! I yet have an ace up my sleave. I click the wizard-button, select the lightning bolt, and HUZZAH: ...I roll a 1. Nothing happens.

It's 1-0 for the high elves.

Next turn starts with 8 Amazons vs. 11 high elves. OSK injures another Amazon, KO's another, and decides to cage up. Though this is typically not a viable strategy for high elves, my 6 remaining Amazons are powerless to stop them. One of the high elves has gotten Tackle, and wherever that motherfucker goes, Amazons fall like flies.

In the end, 5 Amazons are injured, 2 are KO'ed and one is sent off for fouling. That leaves, yes, 3 lonesome Amazons on the pitch, as OSK scores his second touchdown.

2-0 for OSK.

OSK is gracious enough to kick the ball within range of my throwers on the last turn. I pick it up by using a re-roll, clear the pass, and fumble the catch.

All in all a good game for those watchin' (lots of injuries and doom), a good game for OSK, but a horrible game for me. I didn't really feel I made obvious mistakes, but OSK played well, and combined with some good takedowns he took the game clean.

Final result is 2-0 for OSK.

Mantiis

Cipher
Awww I can't help but feel partially responsible for your loss.

I play OSK next again so hopefully I can damage him some. I must get tackle!!! And mighty blow! And cookies!

One game to go! I am looking forward to the nurgle/Orc game :)

grotsnik

Arcane
Mantiis said:
One game to go! I am looking forward to the nurgle/Orc game :)

I'm travelling out to the snow-bitten countryside this weekend, so the Comrade and I should be bashing violently early next week.

So to speak.

Castanova

Prophet
toastboy and I played a couple matches yesterday for fun. The first one I played High Elves vs. his Skaven. The first half was actually quite fun, I thought. Lots of back and forth and near misses on scoring attempts. He definitely outplayed me but if it weren't for one or two stupid choices in particular on my part I probably could have kept it tied 0-0 or even with a one touchdown lead for me. At the end, though, my passer got killed and then more of my guys got injured in the less interesting second half. He won 2-0.

Second game I played Norse vs. his Pro Elves. I chose to defend so I could receive in the second half versus his hopefully thinned out ranks. The basic gameplan worked as I got a lot of lucky injury rolls - by the end of the game he was fielding 6 guys versus my full 11. Not a super exciting game but I ended up winning that one 2-0. Norse are apparently best suited for games against Elf teams and I definitely felt that advantage.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom