Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Another opinion on Fallout 3

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Of course it's possible to fail Speech checks and other stat checks in Fallout 3. E.g., I got an option marked [Unarmed] to threaten Jericho, chose it, but failed because my skill was too low. I didn't see what the threshold was, for obvious reasons. When it comes to Speech checks, the % chance you see just means how confident you are about pulling something like this in front of the given character, it's your character's own assessment of his chances, so you can base your decision on that.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was kinda referring to Fallout 1+2, as opposed to Fallout 3. That was the whole point of my debate with Mr. Poo.

I didn't know you could fail when using [tagged] lines in Bethout, though.

Shit, I gotta get back to playing Bethout. For about two weeks now I've just been tinkering with mods and shit. That's why I modding for this kind of game. Just make the game good from the start, FFS.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Elwro said:
(...) it's a deliberately facetious way of referring to the fact that true Fallout fans are the only group of people on Earth which cannot be negatively surprised by Fallout 3. In fact, they have a higher chance of enjoying the game than someone who never cared about the franchise but e.g. liked PS:T or Arcanum, and never really explored past Fallout games and Bethesda's history.
Are you saying that I might enjoy being kicked in the nuts because I expected to to get my head ripped of?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If you expect that a certain situation will make your head get ripped off, and you pay to enter that situation, you're a retard and your head getting ripped off would be beneficial to humanity.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
cares said:
DarkUnderlord said:
cares said:
That said, Fallout 3 is a game for all Fallout fans.
Fallout 3, despite being called "Fallout" and bearing a suggestive number, is not a Fallout game.
what?
Dude, learn to understand some fucking context. It's like when it comes to Fallout reviews, people read one line and shit their pants as they flip into HYPER INDUCED NERD RAGE without reading on a bit.

umm...what's the context?...here, let me make an analogy...

Nukular Tetris is a game for all Fallout fans...it's not really a Fallout game, but you should enjoy it anyway because it's a good game and the interface is Fallout-themed...duh...

anyway, the premise for this review, that a FPS with good writing, humor, etc. can be a proper sequel is shit...
Read Elwro's entire paragraph:

Elwro said:
That said, Fallout 3 is a game for all Fallout fans. This is, of course, because any true fan of the original series would have had their expectations sink so low that any good feature of the new game would have to be seen as a positive surprise. Any Tim Cain disciple knows that Fallout 3 shouldn't be played as if it attempted to be a proper sequel to the previous games (as outlined in the previous paragraph); doing so, knowing Bethesda's history, would be plainly retarded. Still, if anyone's still wondering: no, Fallout 3, despite being called "Fallout" and bearing a suggestive number, is not a Fallout game. Not if from Fallout games you expect the things I wrote about above.
"That said, Fallout 3 is a game for all Fallout fans" isn't a literal statement. He's making a bit of a joke. You can tell that because as you read on, he points out that the Fallout fans would be expecting such a steaming pile of shit that having one or two decent quests from Bethesda is like "OMFGWTFBBQ!!".

Now let me make an analogy... Nukular Tetris is a game for all Fallout fans... This is true because all the Fallout fans were expecting Nukular Tetris to be a turd wrapped up in a nice little plastic baggie. So if you've bought it knowing that, you'll actually be surprised to find there are real oats in there, not just a brown piece of shit.

hiver

DarkUnderlord said:
umm...what's the context?...here, let me make an analogy...

Elwro's entire paragraph:

Elwro said:
That said, Fallout 3 is a game for all Fallout fans. This is, of course, because any true fan of the original series would have had their expectations sink so low that any good feature of the new game would have to be seen as a positive surprise. Any Tim Cain disciple knows that Fallout 3 shouldn't be played as if it attempted to be a proper sequel to the previous games (as outlined in the previous paragraph); doing so, knowing Bethesda's history, would be plainly retarded. Still, if anyone's still wondering: no, Fallout 3, despite being called "Fallout" and bearing a suggestive number, is not a Fallout game. Not if from Fallout games you expect the things I wrote about above.

"That said, Fallout 3 is a game for all Fallout fans" isn't a literal statement. He's making a bit of a joke. You can tell that because as you read on, he points out that the Fallout fans would be expecting such a steaming pile of shit that having one or two decent quests from Bethesda is like "OMFGWTFBBQ!!".

Now let me make an analogy... Nukular Tetris is a game for all Fallout fans... This is true because all the Fallout fans were expecting Nukular Tetris to be a turd wrapped up in a nice little plastic baggie. So if you've bought it knowing that, you'll actually be surprised to find there are real oats in there, not just a brown piece of shit.

Ouch... thats a "bit" different.
elwro, consider my previous statement never written. my sincere apologies, hehe...
Im Off! to delete it.
:throws black cape over a shoulder:

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Elwro said:
If you expect that a certain situation will make your head get ripped off, and you pay to enter that situation, you're a retard and your head getting ripped off would be beneficial to humanity.

So few people I respect tells me that F3 is enjoyable game; sure, it have it's flaws but it's fine. On the other hand I expect nothing but bad things from it. So I get a copy, try it myself and it turns out to be little better than I thought but still not good enough to enjoy it.
Yeah, that clearly makes me a retard.

Black

Arcane
How dare you not like the best beth's game since daggerfall- as if it meant anything!

hiver

Yeah... i changed my mind. My previous statement still stands...you know, on its own.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I'm pretty sure that Elwro is more than capable of forming his own opinion.

too bad he ain't capable o' writing such an opinion. repetition is okie dokie in advertising, but when coupled with some tedious run-ons and given his seeming utter lack o' style, elwros comments is pretty much a dare: can anybody other than a true codexian read elwro's review in its entirety?

Gromnir failed to meet el's dare... though we did learn that el grinds his coffee manually, for whatever that is worth.

HA! Good Fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom