Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Another OMG!THIS GAEM IS SO AWSOME!!! Oblivion preview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

There is an absolutely <a href=http://spong.com/article/9721/Elder+Scrolls+IV:+Oblivion+%96+New+Screens?cb=894&cb=705>idiotic Oblivion preview</a> at <a href=http://spong.com>Spong</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Now, to non-RPG fans, all of this is probably enough to have made you think you won’t need to bother yourselves any more with all this fantasy tosh. Think again. Once you have played this game for anything more than five minutes, we challenge you not to be enthralled and enraptured. It is stunningly beautiful, fully immersive (an overused word in games journalism, but not in this context) and one of the most perfectly balanced RPG’s ever made.
<br>
<br>
By perfectly balanced, we are particularly referring to the tutorial section of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Now this is usually the stage at which we - and many other gamers too, we suspect - become turned off role-playing games. We are just not that interested in spending time reading and learning all about bafflingly complex systems of character stats and suchlike. We want to play games, and learning about statistics is about as much fun as, well, doing mathematics.
<br>
<br>
In this game there is none of that nonsense.</blockquote>Good to know.
<br>
<br>
<br>
This news post is dedicated to <b>GhanBuriGhan</b>
<br>
<br>

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
You know, my first reaction was a nice laugh, then I saw that the previewer actually meant what he wrote... and sadness took me.

Micmu

Magister
This preview looks like as if written by a typical ESF ADD kiddo.

The game, according to another of SPOnG’s RPG-fanatic friends, is “...so much more than ‘the sequel to Morrowind’ – it should be billed as the next Half Life 2…
:lol:
Xboy "journalists" never cease to amaze me.

Thrawn05

Scholar
micmu said:
This preview looks like as if written by a typical ESF ADD kiddo.

The game, according to another of SPOnG’s RPG-fanatic friends, is “...so much more than ‘the sequel to Morrowind’ – it should be billed as the next Half Life 2…
:lol:
Xboy "journalists" never cease to amaze me.

WHERE THE HELL DO THESE PEOPLE COME FROM!!!?!?!?!!??!!?!?

ShinAli

Novice
I like how everyone is thinking HL2 raised the bar in something but I've yet to find what it is. Presentation? Voice-acting? Designing cute girls? Having really crappy vehicle controls? No idea.

I'd wish these previews would stop being written as if they were talking to the general gaming audience. Even GamersMark leaned toward this dumb, unspecific style.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
ShinAli said:
I like how everyone is thinking HL2 raised the bar in something but I've yet to find what it is. Presentation? Voice-acting? Designing cute girls? Having really crappy vehicle controls? No idea.

I'd wish these previews would stop being written as if they were talking to the general gaming audience. Even GamersMark leaned toward this dumb, unspecific style.
Far Cry raised the bar. HL2 is a mere rail shooter with a crappy ending and small levels.

VasikkA

Liturgist
Headlines from the frontpage(15 newsposts in total):

Another OMG!THIS GAEM IS SO AWSOME!!! Oblivion preview
Pete Hines interview at Gaming Trend
GamersMark's detailed Oblivion criticism
Oblivion fighter quests - the IGN preview
Oblivion preview & shitstorm at Wired Blog
Oblivion mage quests (highly intricate stuff)
VE plays Oblivion
Oblivion impressions at Gamers with Jobs
Oblivion hands-on preview at GameSpot
Pete Hines interview at eToychest
Hilarious Oblivion/Fallout 3 audio interview

aiee.gif

Thrawn05

Scholar
VasikkA said:

VE plays Oblivion

Oh my. :roll:

Wait until the game is released. :twisted:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
By perfectly balanced, we are particularly referring to the tutorial section of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Well, it's good to know we can learn about the special attacks in a perfectly balanced way!

Edit:
Thrawn05 said:
VasikkA said:

VE plays Oblivion

Oh my. :roll:

Wait until the game is released. :twisted:
Dear God, no.

Gamerswithjobs.com brutally convinced by angry TES mob!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ok, if someone played Oblivion for a few hours then the "it's stunningly beautiful and fully immersive" comment might be justified for him, but saying that it's "one of the most perfectly balanced RPG’s ever made" is complete bullshit (as you can positively judge a game's balance only after playing it for a long time)...

...until you discover what he actually means by "balanced": having a tutorial in which the game holds your hand through the usually painful, oh so painful process of learning how to play.

And the "thank God no mathemathics" comment is just embarassing. Embrassing and sad.

VD, are you catering to demands of the mass market by posting an idiotic preview once in a while? :D (I'm not sure why this post is dedicated to Ghan, though...)

edit: K, now I know.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The previewer perfectly represents the target market of Oblivion ... and you still wonder about "blunt axes" :roll:

Zeb

Novice
Todd Howard, executive producer of The Elder Scrolls series, has said of Elder Scrolls IV that, "With Oblivion, we're taking the idea of a virtual fantasy world as far as it will go."

...what down the toilet?

Gwendo

Augur
Well, I guess there are people who have more to do than studing D&D-like rules. Some people just want to spend some time playing, stress out and not much more. Their lives don' evolve around gaming.

Certainly I won't repeat the error with ToEE, where I spent one week reading the manual before starting to play the game (too little time, that's why I took so long). Right now, I might say I've played less than read. My ToEE game is in pause.

HardCode

Erudite
I didn't realize that the game "journalists" were some of the retards included in the target market.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
This news post is dedicated to <b>GhanBuriGhan</b>
Too much honor!

I knew you guys would love this one the second I read it :) .
In fairness, you should of course also have mentioned one of the two or three reviews that mention specifically how many options, classes and skills Oblivion has, more than ANY other RPG ;) Which is bullshit of course, but of course neither is it as "dumb" as many, many other games on the market.
I a way i am looking forward to hearing everyones opinion after the game is out - that may actually bring some blood back into this tiresome discussions. I honestly wonder if at least some of you will find it (or aspects of it) enjoyable (and admit it). Your review better be good, VD, or I am gonna tear it apart just like you do with the others. :D Oh what fun!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Your review better be good, VD, or I am gonna tear it apart just like you do with the others. :D Oh what fun!
It's a date then.

Section8

Cipher
Todd Howard, executive producer of The Elder Scrolls series, has said of Elder Scrolls IV that, "With Oblivion, we're taking the idea of a virtual fantasy world as far as it will go."

It makes perfect sense; you just have to consider the words in context.
  • "taking" - To have sex with, esp. nonconsentual sex
    I walked to in to see Stalin Brando taking a Siam shemale over the kitchen bench.
  • "idea" - a theoretical notion, not yet put into practice
    The very idea that there might be something more revolting than Tubgirl out there terrifies me.
  • "virtual" - characterised by ugly use of polygons, limited interactivity, and utter disappointment (see virtual reality)
    Dactyl Nightmare brings a virtual fantasy world filled with dinosaurs to wretched unlife.
  • "as far as it will go" - the degree of sex acts willing to be performed by the participant
    Anal was as far as (she) would go, which meant skullbuggery was out of the question.

So, now we correctly comprehend Todd's quote as "With Oblivion, we're raping the very theory behind a poorly realised fantasy world and subjecting it to as many perversions as it's willing to accept."

Now that's nextgen!

[edit] I know I shouldn't point out the obvious, but - "With Oblivion, we're taking the idea of a virtual fantasy world as far as it will go...and then nerfing everything across the board, because the combination of poor decisions with regard to production, and poorly optimised code means it won't actually run on the intended platform."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom