Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Another Oblivion fan interview

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well I don't think it makes the game 'less complex' or even easier for that matter. In my opinion it makes your choices more drawn out. In Morrowind, your skill choices just seemed like "few of many" unimportant skills, since most of them weren't really important enough on their own and offered very little impact on the building of your character.

LlamaGod

Cipher
The other big change is that these items do not recharge on their own, you must do it. So you use soulgems to recharge items, or can get them recharged in town.

Why the hell does Bethesda keep making NPCs that do every single specific thing for you? Whats the point of specializing in that area if the NPCs can do it just as good, except for omg gold cost, because you know gold is so hard to find.

They had NPCs that raise your skills to maximum, make you spells and magical equipment and now they got NPCs to recharge the equipment too. Why not actually have them as abilities for people to do if they want to persue that instead of just having NPCs to do everything for you?

Sandelfron

Scholar
Sol Evicted said:
As for the "Paladin" comment: Sandel, unless you played Wizardry which was what I was referring to, your response does not apply. My point was that Wizardry had so many different classes and hybrid classes that the majority of the time, 90% of these classes were completely useless because they didn't perform anywhere as well as a party made completely out of 'pure class' characters who excelled in their roles. As a party based game, it makes no sense to distribute your skills all around because you end up shooting yourself in the foot in the end-game when the game puts you against pure-class enemies.

I've played Wizardry 6,7 and 8. They are a different kind of rpg; you control
a party, not a single individual. Even then, I remember doing well with much
of the party multiclassed with cleric, which adds upto more clerics 'distributed'
across rounds so you aren't caught with your pants down with 1 hp.

geminito

Liturgist
Why is vault dweller allowed to post on the main page? His comments are moronic.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, if we allow dumb dicks like you to post in our forums, I don't see any problems with me posting on the front page.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You mean they actually hire stupid people willing to buy PR bullshit on purpose? Oh, my...

Roger P

Novice
No, I think many news-posters here are quite good. They don't beat you over the head with the "PR bullshit" stick in every post. Unlike youself.

corvax

Augur
The "if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all" rule doesn't apply here. As over-opinionated VD's spin alley can get, there's wisdom to be found in it. Sometimes the fucker gets a little annoying though :wink:.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Codex commentary on Oblivion has become more of a joke than the fanboys at the TES site. You guys have such a hard-on for a game you won't be playing, it's truly mystifying.

It's not like these posts are made for any purpose other than to whine and moan about how it's not Fallout, but I guess that's the only purpose the Codex serves anymore.

Roger P

Novice
I understand that Vault Dweller is a valued member of the Codex and his views are generally respresentative here. I just think his "OMG RETARDS" style of posting news is getting old.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roger P said:
No, I think many news-posters here are quite good. They don't beat you over the head with the "PR bullshit" stick in every post. Unlike youself.
I guess you disagree with my comments. What exactly did you find so offensive that you decided to register and express your disappointment?

I understand that Vault Dweller is a valued member of the Codex and his views are generally respresentative here. I just think his "OMG RETARDS" style of posting news is getting old.
Ah, I see. Well, in that case, please forward your complaint to those retards who constantly inspire my news posting style. Don't blame me for pointing that out or for not pretending that all that crap actually makes sense.

Vault Dweller

Developer
fnordcircle said:
Codex commentary on Oblivion has become more of a joke than the fanboys at the TES site.
Excuse me for having opinions on features, design, and gameplay elements.

You guys have such a hard-on for a game you won't be playing, it's truly mystifying
Are you suggesting that we should cover only games we like?

It's not like these posts are made for any purpose other than to whine and moan about how it's not Fallout.
Riight. If we criticize games, it's only because it's not Fallout. 'Cause there are no other reasons whatsoever. As for the purpose, it's a news site, get it? If there is a new interview, review, preview, we'll post it. I know, it sounds crazy, but that's how it works. That's why there are so many Dungeon Siege 2 dedicated news posts, not because Saint is a huge fanboy, but because that's what's being reviewed at the moment. Duh!

Kuato

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
Well I don't think it makes the game 'less complex' or even easier for that matter. In my opinion it makes your choices more drawn out. In Morrowind, your skill choices just seemed like "few of many" unimportant skills, since most of them weren't really important enough on their own and offered very little impact on the building of your character.
You lose more of the creative aspects of building a character when you severely limit the choices, I wonder if some of these "unimportant skills" are just skills that wouldnt benefit every single character design, but when combined with more complementary skills in a strategic character design they become far more useful, but again that would require more brain activity and careful planning from the player. Skill synergy makes the character as a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Roger P

Novice
Uh, I don't consider you or most Codexers as retards. What are you implying?

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
In recent Patrick Stewart (OMG LOL!!!) news, he was on the newest episode of Ricky Gervais's new show "extras". He was pretty fucking hilarious in it.

"and then Posh Spice walks in-"
"and her clothes fall off?"
"instantly"
"sure..."

teehee

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I don't actually see anything of major disappointment in 7 major skills for leveling vs 5+5.
What a lot of cockamany (sp?)

I hereby recind my codex licence due to lack of required cynicism.

Bye.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Vault Dweller said:
Excuse me for having opinions on features, design, and gameplay elements.
What next, are you going to tell me that you thought this was America?

Here's a newsflash, having an opinion doesn't exonerate you for being told you're an ass for repeating that opinion ad nauseum.

No I'm stating that after about 15 fucking threads it's pretty obvious where the codex stands on Oblivion and continuing to bitch and moan about it is beyond repetitive and childish.

Seriously, VD, everyone has heard how you feel and your little opinions are validated by all the sycophants here so can you find something else to throw a daily fit over?

Kuato

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
I don't actually see anything of major disappointment in 7 major skills for leveling vs 5+5.
What a lot of cockamany (sp?)

I dont think its a major disappointment, just another inch in the wrong direction which will add up someday.

Sandelfron

Scholar
geminito said:
winge winge whine grizzle..

1. Opinions of the posters accompany news items otherwise there'd just be a link
so you could read it on originating site.
2. For balanced news coverage the news posters cover games which they dislike
as well as games they like.
3. Posters may have a negative opinion of a game.
4. Stop blubbering you bunch of big girl's undergarments.

Vault Dweller

Developer
fnordcircle said:
No I'm stating that after about 15 fucking threads it's pretty obvious where the codex stands on Oblivion and continuing to bitch and moan about it is beyond repetitive and childish.
Ok, so it's pretty obvious where the Codex (assuming I represent the entire site, which I don't) stands on Oblivion, now what? Should we stop posting about it, should we stop commenting on it, using obscure references like "you know what we think about this nonsense!!!", or what? Just curious.

Once again, go bitch at Bethesda for the answers, or argue that the design ideas expressed in the interviews are, like, totally awesome and you can't wait to play this amazing game. Or ask Saint to relieve me of my news posting privileges.

Seriously, VD, everyone has heard how you feel and your little opinions are validated by all the sycophants here so can you find something else to throw a daily fit over?
I'm very sorry that the game you like sucks. Welcome to the Codex.

Sandelfron

Scholar
The amount of threads about this game is attributable, in part, to the
fact that any negative criticism of that game causes a magic Bethsoft
fairy to appear and play barrack-room lawyer.

Even in a thread that has nothing to do with that game the fairy may
sometimes appear, surrounded in a scintillating aura of monomania.
When it leaves the thread is transformed into another clone thread.

RGE

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I think that Bethesda people just suck at balancing so they keep reducing the number of skills untill all that's left are DEADLY WEAPAN!!! & MAGIK SPELL!!!
I don't mind seeing developers who know their limitations. Arcanum had 16 skills that were somewhat balanced, and then a whole heap of spells and scientific degrees which were hardly balanced at all. 21 skills sounds good enough for me, and 'tagging' 7 of them also sounds like a good balance between too wide and too narrow.

But yeah, whatever gets people (and especially developers) posting. :roll:

The signal to noise ratio has gone way down from an already low value, but I suppose that if I cared enough I'd still read every Oblivion thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom