Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Anito chat conclusion and log

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Anino Entertainment; Anito: Defend a Land Enraged

The <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=85">chat log</a> with <A href="http://www.aninoentertainment.com/">Anino Entertainment</A> about <A href="http://www.aninoentertainment.com/products/anito/index.php">Anito: Defend a Land Enraged</a> is up and ready for reading. Here's a sample:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>[</b>Saint_Proverbius<b>]</b> Can one of you guys explain why you say there's adventure game elements in this RPG? Isn't that redundant?
<br>
<b>[</b>Dark`Machine<b>]</b> Allow me to peruse, and I'm sure I'll have better questions. ;)
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> almost nobody has heard of our game... that's why we're here to promote it
<br>
<b>[</b>BlackAsz<b>]</b> go gabs!
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> they Trigun. glad you made it
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> hey
<br>
<b>[</b>TrigunPsx<b>]</b> yup
<br>
<b>[<u>purploony</u>]</b> Trigun!!! :D Hi!
<br>
<b>[</b>TrigunPsx<b>]</b> Hi!
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> Some parts of the game play more like adventure
<br>
<b>[<u>marc</u>]</b> hello trigun! though i dont know who you are. haha
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> you use this item with this to make that
<br>
<b>[<u>purploony</u>]</b> marc: he's from www.pinoypsx.com
<br>
<b>[</b>VicViper<b>]</b> hi trigun...
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> or you interact with an item to do a quest
<br>
<b>[</b>TrigunPsx<b>]</b> Hi Viper! is everyone here now?
<br>
<b>[<u>gabusch</u>]</b> there are a lot of quests that aren't combat related</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Quests that aren't combat related, never a bad thing to have.

Rosh

Erudite
It is nice to see someone who is completely fucking clueless about the roots of CRPGs make one and make the remarks about "adventure game elements", despite that the adventure genre is a wide one with many sub-genres, the sum of which combines into the form of CRPG we are familiar with today. Bloody hilarious.

Again, I think I'll pass unless the ignorance is unrelated and they managed to pull something out.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, like I said in another thread, I wasn't too thrilled by what I saw of the game at the official site. I'm gonna wait until the reviews start rolling in and see what the general consensus of the game around here is before rushing to buy it.

It's really sad, you know. I remember a day when I couldn't wait for the next CRPG to hit the market so I could sink my teeth into it. Nowadays though, I'm extremely leary about the stuff. I look forward to the day when CRPGs get back on track.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Well it seems like a nice game.

I would like to buy it but how ?

No credit card and i doubt that it is ever going to be distributed in greece.

But i want to comment about that formal training to make games.

Well i doubt that outside USA / England /France/Japan there is any formal training about how to make games.

Probably that is a reason why only teams from those countries make the moist games.

So kudos to those people for learning by themshelves.

Rosh

Erudite
Learning how to make games from anything other than experience, especially from a course tailored for it, is perhaps one of the more damaging things to the industry right now. Many people teaching use flimsy methods and other programming methods that are quite sleazy.

It all boils down to learning the programming language(s) and methods, and having enough observation to be able to put a design into reality. That is how the industry started.

That's probably why games often suck lately, is because the focus is in the wrong place. The "colleges" put too much emphasis on flimsy design schtick than what matters, such as a solid game world, clean interface, and of acceptable programming integrity.

That is why many game developers are where they are. They don't break with anything stellar because they are taught just enough to be passable instead of a strong foundation in programming. Hence why most game developers are paid less than 1/3 of a programmer in a different field.

All that is needed is a good knowledge of what you are working with, how you are working with it, and how to make it. Sorry if I step on anyone's toes (well, not really), but to say that a CRPG has adventure elements is just blithely stupid or is a weak attempt at marketing. To delineate them as separate puts doubt as to the construction of the game. Either that, or the mentality of "CRPG = SHTATS!" rears its ugly palsied head again.

Vic Viper

Novice
Of course gaming still depends on experience. But the colleges gives these students a chance to learn the important things withing developing a game. Which are not easy to accomplish when you don't have a guide. At least it gave people a chance to do be able to learn gaming who don't know about all those things that are required to know about making them. And from what I've seen, they are taught to discover something new and learn the good ideas from the bad.

Anino did something no one in the Philippine country has done. Make a game and distribute it. They don't have any background making programs in C++ or 3D design or writing in an interactive field. In that sense their 2 years of work was very risky, since they don't have any kind of income that supported their work, at least there were sponsors to help them through the way.

If they did have any learning experience at least from actual programming in C++ and 3D then they may have done a better engine, a better design. Of they may have released the game earlier than it's release date.

But what ever the case, Anino has given the Philippine country a start in the gaming world. Because of this, it has given aspiring Filipino game developers a hope to make games locally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom