Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anachronox Install problems

Whipporowill

Erudite
In my quest to play the nuggets of yore I may have missed I've again come to try my luck with Anachronox. Last time I failed miserable since it crasched during a re-install (tried to get around video crasching) and now I can't fully remove it - so no new installation is possible. I tried the boards over at planetanachronox, but I can't seem to get out of the loop.

I've tried several regedit programs (registry mechanic amongst other) and even used my l338 skills to manually look for entries related to "eidos", "ion storm","Anox" and "Anachronox" of which I have found several. But still it won't budge - it's still mentioned in my add/remove programs as a 1.09 mb app. The recover option does nothing, and trying to install the game just gives me the opportunity to modify (no go), repair (nothing happens, though stated otherwise) and remove (zilch even though it says so).

So, what do I do? Seems like I won't be able to play the game...

dunduks

Liturgist
In which registry trees were you looking?
To make it dissapear from uninstall window, try looking in
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
or
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

what happens when you do a reinstall?

dunduks

Liturgist
So, did you try to remove registry entries from uninstall and then installing (you should try and remove all entries about anachronox)? Also are you sure that your cd's are fine, perhaps try to copy contents of cd's to harddrive and run setup from there. Once doing a clean install, do you get any errors or other messages?

littleboy

Liturgist
A similar thing happend to me when I installed McGee's Alice, but there was a patch and help.
Never played anachronox, was it any good?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Anachronox is a really good game. It's got a great story and FF7-esque combat. There are some nasty bugs however, but overall it's a great console-style RPG.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Yes, definitely patch the game to the last official patch. There is also an unofficial patch that's highly recommended, but it's up to you.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Hey. That uninstall thing in the registry was the beef... for some reason neither regedit or any registry cleaners failed to find it. Now to try to get it to install... reporting back.

dunduks

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
I'm using the 46 update, but the game lags during dialogue - very odd. They keep repeating themselves...
Lags as in the last sound loops? What kind of soundcard do you have? There are 2 things you can try: first update sound drivers and/or second - go to dxdiag -> sound and move the sound acceleration slider one notch left.

Whipporowill

Erudite
The lag in the sound occurs at the same time as slowdowns in the animations - like when the camera swoops or there's some kind of lighting effect. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, so the card shouldn't be the problem - unless there's some compatiliy issue.

dunduks

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
The lag in the sound occurs at the same time as slowdowns in the animations - like when the camera swoops or there's some kind of lighting effect. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, so the card shouldn't be the problem - unless there's some compatiliy issue.
Check this thread, it has various workarounds, but basically you should update your ATI drivers (or try different releases).

Whipporowill

Erudite
I have the catalyst 4.9 driver, so I don't think there's much chance of finding a more updated one...

... but I'll make sure to check the thread. Great game this far, after approx 2 hours game time.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The 4.9 drivers might be the issue. Grab the 4.8 drivers from ATI.com

ATI pulled the 4.9 drivers back and advises every Radeon user to grab the official/WHQL tested 4.8 drivers that they released a week ago. Compatability issues galore with the 4.9's and all of the tweaks they made for Doom 3 in the 4.9 come in the 4.8, so you should be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom