Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

American Hare II: Origins

Chefe

Erudite
2009 - American Hare becomes the best selling indie game ever, shipping 1 billion copies. It revolutionizes the world of video games. No longer is the mainstream worried about graphics and bloom and voice overs - it's all about choices and consequences. In that vein I am proud to announce the upcoming in-development prequel to that epic - American Hare II: Origins.

During the early 1700's, you awaken on an island to the sound of chanting. During a ritual to summon the spirit Ogdum, something went wrong, and the gasping crowd soon falls into silence as you open your eyes and stand up. You don't know who you are or where you came from, but you do know one thing. You are a rabbit and the people standing before you are shoddily dressed black people.

American Hare II: Origins is the tale of a fallen god. If what the oracle says is true, you have been cast out of the spirit world, and heaven, and you must figure out why that is. Traverse 18th century Haiti in search of yourself. Change the world with the decisions you make. Will you help the young slave boy Franc, or will you team up with the slaveowners and punish your people? Every choice has a consequence.

Discuss!!

You know, fuck making American Hare a game, just write it out as a choose your own adventure type book

Chefe

Erudite
I would, but I deleted the original design documents out of shame and pity. I had like 8 full pages of write up - real font, not that shitty 12 point double space arial bullshit. 10 point, single spaced, time new roman. Besides hypertext is not RPG. American Hare II: Origins will be awesome though, trust me.

Chefe

Erudite
It's a c&c heavy RPG, focusing more on how intelligently you navigate the world moreso than your stats. Stats are important though, and your three stats are Mind/Body/Focus. They affect everything from how well you brandish a gun, to how effective you are at spotting when someone is lying. Everything is handled through dialog (it's essentially a text rpg, but the next logical evolution, so you don't have to worry about memorizing a bunch of obscure keywords or moving "right, left, right, forward, etc." It is very open ended and freeform. You are given a map and can click on the different hot buttons to go to the different areas between the local map. Combat is also handled through dialog, and allows things that games normally do not, like using the environment or using someone's body against them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chefe said:
Did you guys really think I had talent?

Let's just say you had a good idea and executed it well. And you do have talent to make a text-heavy game with lots of C&C. Too bad American Hare was never intended to come out, was it?

Chefe

Erudite
Initially it was a joke. I think the first title for the thread (aka the name of the game) was "The Rabbit and The Mexicans" before it was American Hare. Then I got real caught up in it, looked up real design docs and based mine on those, and bought a book on C++ programming. Then I kind of came to the realization that it was a ludicrous plot and wasn't really interested in doing the programming. For some reason I decided to just delete my design doc that I had worked all those hours on. That's when it turned into a joke again.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Chefe said:
Initially it was a joke. I think the first title for the thread (aka the name of the game) was "The Rabbit and The Mexicans" before it was American Hare. Then I got real caught up in it, looked up real design docs and based mine on those, and bought a book on C++ programming. Then I kind of came to the realization that it was a ludicrous plot and wasn't really interested in doing the programming. For some reason I decided to just delete my design doc that I had worked all those hours on. That's when it turned into a joke again.

I really enjoyed this story.

Chefe

Erudite
What story? The story of the American Hare thread, the story in the game itself, or the story you just quoted?

You know what the worst part is? My rep is so tarnished that I could never make this thing. No one would ever trust me or want to get behind it.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Chefe said:
What story? The story of the American Hare thread, the story in the game itself, or the story you just quoted?

You know what the worst part is? My rep is so tarnished that I could never make this thing. No one would ever trust me or want to get behind it.

I enjoyed all three. Most recently the story I just quoted.

I want to see American Hare get made.

Redlands

Arcane
sportforredneck said:
It would be fairly entertaining for American Hare II to be made before American Hare.

A similar thing worked for Leisure Suit Larry.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do it, Chefe. Fool us once, and we fall for it. Fool us twice, and we'll still think that this time you're serious. As long as the game really gets made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom