Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amazon ships an MMORPG - New World

Codex Year of the Donut
According to an early alpha tester, New World's dev team had shockingly little experience in MMOs which explains why they implemented failed systems from Ultima Online like criminal flagging.

That seems like positive to me not negative.

All those who have experience only make wow clones.
Having people without experience working on centralized networked games is how you end up with all these various issues they're having with regards to exploits, economy going to shit, etc.,
Design? Sure, yeah, throw all of them in the trash.

Perkel

Arcane
Having people without experience working on centralized networked games is how you end up with all these various issues they're having with regards to exploits, economy going to shit, etc.,

Those happen either way for every new MMO and in general for RPGs.

Codex Year of the Donut

Those happen either way for every new MMO and in general for RPGs.
No, they don't.
It was apparent it would happen here the moment they announced it uses EAC -- the only reason to use such is because the game is at least partially client authoritative.

Perkel

Arcane
No, they don't.

Ok give me MMO which didn't have any problems when it launched and had actual people playing it.

Remember WOW "killer" FF14 ? It was so bad that they had to cancel whole game and start from scratch. New World problems are nothing compared to that.

Codex Year of the Donut
No, they don't.

Ok give me MMO which didn't have any problems when it launched and had actual people playing it.

Remember WOW "killer" FF14 ? It was so bad that they had to cancel whole game and start from scratch. New World problems are nothing compared to that.
just look up a list of MMOs and most of them don't have issues anywhere near what nu world has

Perkel

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
just look up a list of MMOs and most of them don't have issues anywhere near what nu world has

And no one plays them.
Not every game can have bezos-levels of money to shill for it.

I am talkin enough people to not fail after few months level. Any of those would instantly combust into flames if there was same amount people playing it as new world or whateverfuck name it has.
Maybe they should have used that bezos money to hire a professional instead of interns lol

unknown.png

edit: not real :(

Codex Year of the Donut
honestly kinda impressive that a company which afaik owns the most servers in the world is having so much trouble keeping a game online
feels like one of those things you'd have to work pretty hard at

Caim

Arcane
New World is at 30k players in the weekend now, with more than double that two months ago. That's hardly a win.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
New World is at 30k players in the weekend now, with more than double that two months ago. That's hardly a win.
Those numbers are still not bad. Especially for how much bad press it got I was expecting it to dip into triple digits by now. The game is salvageable and there's clearly a market for it so in theory they could pull a ff14. However, this is me being extremely optimistic and completely ignoring the fact that it's AGS at the helm who has proven their ineptitude time and time again.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Was giving this another try. They must have merged most every server as the server selection at least in my neck of the woods is minimal. The controls are pretty janky. The slow run speed doesnt match the hectic pace the running animation present. The world is looks fairly nice early on. The dodge mechanic is poorly implemented. Blocking has an unsatisfying amount of feedback. The Warhammer I think its called has been my favorite weapon type along with throwing the Hatchet. It appears you only get three moves per weapon type while being able to swap two weapons? Everything else is passive. And yet its not on consoles? Hmm. The gathering/crafting appears to be pretty in depth. The main hub or at least the one I am at is very active but I guess thats a consequence of the servers being merged as only 17k people are playing on Steam and its the weekend. I doubt i'll keep playing as it seems to be a bit of a timesink and I have better games to play but I might spend another day or two giving it a go. There appears to be bots perhaps doing gathering.

Question for anyone who is actually having fun. What is your average day like in New World? A lot of pvp? Dungeons? Gathering/Crafting? Would be interested to hear what people who like the game have to say about what an average day of playing plays out like.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Old World on the other hand seems pretty solid.

ADL

Prophet
Greatsword added New World is saved
New Egyptian-themed zone is 3x the size of other zones in the game
First 25 levels revamped with plans to overhaul the whole thing
Good changes to territory management

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom