Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am i the only one here who was dissapointed with fallout 2 ?

Svartberg

Ballistic Interactive
Developer
Re: Am i the only one here who was dissapointed with fallout

kris said:
That it is a game is totally irrelevant to this. If it is RPG, then it should have the situations in the game present in a realistic way as for its setting.

grasp the idea of a game oriented towards solo playing and a game oriented towards party play.
in fallout 1 you wouldn't randomally encounter 12 mutants because there would be no chance for you to get out, in fallout 2 you might encounter quite a lot of enclave troopers which would be a suicide if you're going solo.

bryce777

Erudite
Re: Am i the only one here who was dissapointed with fallout

Svartberg said:
kris said:
That it is a game is totally irrelevant to this. If it is RPG, then it should have the situations in the game present in a realistic way as for its setting.

grasp the idea of a game oriented towards solo playing and a game oriented towards party play.
in fallout 1 you wouldn't randomally encounter 12 mutants because there would be no chance for you to get out, in fallout 2 you might encounter quite a lot of enclave troopers which would be a suicide if you're going solo.

The only time that would normally happen is towards the end of the game. Since fallout 2 is much bigger, you are far more prepared for supermutants by then.

I remember when I played fallout 1, I was about 10th level when I got to the master's lair originally. Supermutants were extremely hard to deal with for me.

When you get to the point you are facing the enclave, you will be around 20th level if you play the game normally. Also, the only place you will find huge encouters like that is in the random encounters around navarro...and you will probably have a sum total of zero of them if you aren't farming for experience.

If you are soloing, you'll also automatically get recruited at navarro, which means that you will not even fight at navarro unless you try to or have a character too stupid to trick that mechanic guy (and you only fight 2-3 actual troopers at a time, anyhow).

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
My take on the tribals is that (aside from the ludicrous Temple of Trials), they aren't *totally* nonsensical, except that parallel to the tribals you have the ultra-high tech resurgent world everywhere else. If you want to have the theme that lifespans have gotten significantly shorter (say, 35 years), that people were totally reliant on technology to record information and lost that technology, etc., you could probably get to tribal levels within 80 years. (Although isn't FO2 like 30 years after FO1? I can't remember how laughably bad it was . . . .) What makes it absurd, though, is that the tribes are like an easy walk from areas with decent tech, which are themselves a caravan trip from areas that are basically doing just fine.

wendigo

Novice
Lyric Suite said:
Fallout 2 was disappointing only to Fallout standards...

Very true. And that's only plot/atmosphere-wise. The game mechanics were much better in FO2, as well as the balancing. FO1 got *very* easy for me near the end, and I wasn't even really trying to be a munchkin about it.

Pop culture references in FO2 aside, both games could be pretty silly at times, too.

rei1974

Scholar
I agree that the plot/atmosphere of FO2 was worse than first episode, but overall I liked better FO2, less buggy and with much more improvements.
Maybe the setting wasn't anymore a surprise after the first one...

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Been through this discussion only about 1,200 times now so to cut to the chase: I enjoyed most of the aspects of Fallout 2 over the first. Both games are still defintely my favorite games ever, so that's not saying a whole lot. I thought New Reno was fantastic though--a sort of climax "town", and that the car was a great addition...so what the hell do I know?

Venom

Scholar
Wow.

I skipped Fallout since I thought the second would rape the first...and now you tell me the first is better.

Fallout here I come.

Temoid

Scholar
I played the second one first, and because of that, the first fallout was always like that little retarded brother to me.

almondblight

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Fallout 2 was disappointing only to Fallout standards...

Nah...I couldn't even finish Fallout 2, the game just burns out. On it's own I guess it's alright, decent but not so good, still a bit disappointing though. Compared to the first it's garbage. Instead of fixing and improving the first, they just made it bigger, added pointless sex gags and other juvenile humor buts, and threw in pop references and ghosts and aliens.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Technically, the trunk space wasn't unlimited. If you put in enough crap eventually the game would glitch and you'd lose everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom