Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alright, any recently-released RPGs that are good?

Efe

Erudite
Or it is expressed through your actions rather than arbitrary sliders like passionate/stoic, etc

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm curious which squad TB games have more depth then URR? Even better if they are somewhat recent.

JA2? Sure. But it's debatable whether it's an cRPG.
ToEE? Not in my opinion.

What else is out there that I've missed?

Goldbox, KOTC, BaK. Dark Sun, Proudfoot games and Voidspire Tactics are arguably contenders as well. Haven't played Alvora Tactics, but if it is anything at all like Voidspire, maybe that as well.

There are also some oldies with good reputation that I haven't tried like Aethra Chronicles and Disciples of Steel that are supposedly great as well.

Blackguards had potential but was poorly balanced and too easy to break, even compared to the others.

Low Magic Age looks like it has potential, but it is pretty much an incomplete dnd combat engine at this point.

Thank you for the reply.

GoldBox, KotC I haven't played. Might get around to KotC eventually.
BaK: A good game, but please remove your nostalgia goggles. Combat doesn't compare to URR complexity.
DrakSun: I really don't remember them being very complex or interesting combat-wise?
The further ones I didn't play also.
Blackguards I wasn't impressed about from my short time with that game.

So yeah, so far... ToEE. I strongly disliked the patched version I once tried to play. Tiny characters, very difficult to control UI. Also kept crashing. I hardly managed to leave the initial area. Maybe I need to look for another version/put more effort.
Haplo in this thread:
"I haven't played any of the game mentioned so they don't count. I know very little about the genre i am discussing in general. Obviously i must be right".
:retarded:

Edit:
Also: JA2 is only "debatable" if you are a retard. Might as well debate if TOEE or KOTC or Wizardry series or Golden Box games, etc... are crpg. In fact all those mentioned games probably have less of features commonly seen in crpgs these days than JA2 has.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"I haven't played any of the game mentioned so they don't count. I know very little about the genre i am discussing in general. Obviously i must be right".
:retarded:

Or maybe, you know, the games were listed following my request, after my initial post. To see what else is there.
My impression is that not particularly much. Even less that can match or exceed URR.

And I didn't need to play all of the mentioned games to realize Underrail is very good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or it is expressed through your actions rather than arbitrary sliders like passionate/stoic, etc

One could argue that every strategy is a role playing game then (and that would be incorrect).

Efe

Erudite
i honestly don't know how you make these jumps.
Do you really think every strategy game has fully customizable squad loadout, skill gain, etc?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
i honestly don't know how you make these jumps.
Do you really think every strategy game has fully customizable squad loadout, skill gain, etc?

XCOM does. :M

Efe

Erudite
so you downscaled from "every strategy game" to x-com 2?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
so you downscaled from "every strategy game" to x-com 2?

You're defining RPG as a collection of features rather than a game that allows/acknowledges your role playing. :M

Efe

Erudite
acknowledging role playing decisions is not a feature now? if you piss people off they give you old "fuck off". is that not consequential enough?
xcom has dress up dolls while ja2 has characters. looting enemies, mail ordering equipment vs magically cloning researched guns. fixed story missions and limited play area vs free form nature of ja2.
but i guess you were just going for low effort bait and this is a wasted discussion.

Lhynn

Arcane
Roguey is right.

The game straddles the line, but in the end its a very in depth strategy game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
acknowledging role playing decisions is not a feature now? if you piss people off they give you old "fuck off". is that not consequential enough?

That's one of those ~simmy~ features, adding the ability to piss people off, but giving a heavy disincentive for doing so. You play it the right way, or you just make things needlessly harder for yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom