Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alphaturd might get patched

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Refering to DU's post, after ~400 newsposts of mine how often did I *cross the line* with something unnecessary hostile/juvenile? 3 times? 4 times? Certainly not 40 times. So what's the big fucking deal?
Who says that it's a big fucking deal?
9 pages of thread solely on the topic of whether or not Alphaturd was anything from inappropriate to out-right scandalous tends to indicate some sort of a deal.

While some of those have been "THE JOKE DIDN'T MAKE ME LOL THEREFORE IT SUCKS MAKE IT FUNNY", some of those have also been "This place is pathetic.", "If VoD hates the game so much he should write a review.", just how "asinine and juvenile" we're allowed to be, how butthurt VoD is for defending his choice of title and even whether the topic itself is even newsworthy or not (the old "THIS IS NOT NEWS").

On those points:
  1. Plenty of jokes suck. Sometimes you hit, other times you miss. It's the nature of any attempts at humour. People can whine all they like about it "not being funny enough", my advice is: Learn to take the good with the bad.
  2. "This place is pathetic." Welcome to the Codex. Enjoy your stay.
  3. Writing reviews should never be a pre-requisite to criticism. It's not "the Codex way". We've always been free to criticise games in news posts, even before they've been released. That's not going to change. Much like the "BUT YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET!!!11!oneonetwothree" argument. If this upsets anyone, then I'd advise the Codex is not the place for them.
  4. The Codex has always had a juvenile and asinine streak. That includes Pete "Full of Shit" Hines, "What the fuck Tim?", the dumbfuck tag and everything else that goes along with it. It's part of the charm. If we crack down on VoD for this, it means we crack down on those other comments. That would also not be the Codex way.
  5. News posters have the right to defend themselves. ref: The Codex Way :smug:
  6. Other RPG news websites posted this as news too. I know, it's a terrible travesty that the Codex posted it as well. The horror. This will be rectified. From now on, the only news we post will be news that's not posted elsewhere as news. Oh wai...
If you want a prestigious news magazine that doesn't attack anything (unless it's a review), avoids all attempts at humour (because someone might think it's not funny!!1), isn't occassionally juvenile or asinine and bores everyone to tears as a result because it never gets more than 1 or 2 comments, I propose those people go here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/ or here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/

The Codex isn't like those places. The Codex is about people being free to express their opinions, whatever state the game may be at and whatever those opinions may be. That means taking the good with the bad.

Terror Teats

Educated
root said:
the good with the turd, you meant.

LOL....I don't know if this joke is funny or not.... LOL I think it's pretty funny, but it could go either way....LOL????

I guess it was alright, actually.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Well i'm on VD"s side. I'm all for barbed and negative news post titles, but this just makes us look like slobbering morons.

We're supposed to be the witty and educated elite of the gaming world, not your average joe consoleturd.

Im not one of the "decline" school but there is no way this would have happened under previous and better newsposters.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Nutcracker said:
Well i'm on VD"s side.
Of course you are. Here, let VD direct your opinion:

Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, VoD is a cool guy and a well liked newsposter.
Vault Dweller said:
That's because I love you.
:love:
Vault Dweller said:
Who says that it's a big fucking deal?

As for:
Nutcracker said:
I'm all for barbed and negative news post titles, but this just makes us look like slobbering morons.
While the question how many slobbering morons are in fact spamming these forums might be an interesting research topic, let's not overreact. It's not as if I was about to make a habit out of calling Alpha Protocol *Alphaturd*. You may not have figured it yet, but I also don't usually strife for *barbed and negative news post titles*, just for the sake of sounding negative. I'd wager previous (and better) newsposters were better known for that.

Nutcracker said:
We're supposed to be the witty and educated elite of the gaming world, not your average joe consoleturd.
Maybe you should read the forums more carefully and rethink that *witty and educated elite* business.

Nutcracker said:
Im not one of the "decline" school but there is no way this would have happened under previous and better newsposters.
That must be the reason why similar outrage happened before, as DU pointed out - to everyone of the previous and better newsposters. As soon as some feelings got hurt.
Well, if we learned one thing in this thread it's certainly that every single one of the resident *witty and educated elite* could do better newsposts than I. But they don't. Of course they could if they only wanted, but for some reason they don't want. That's too bad, because it looks as if you're going to have to deal with my subpar newsposting.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He still fucked up the meme of posting puns or rhymes of game titles. It's not a big deal, but it's what's making peoples sense of style and humour go haywire. They just can't articulate it well enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
VoD flame on, true patriot.
Little fanboy bitches were posting exactly the same amounts of drama when DU was making fun of The Witcher in newsposts. It's how they work.
9 pages of stupid drama pretty much mean fanboy butthurt, because a silly title never causes so much spam. They just need to find at least some reason to baawww because newsposters on the Codex don't scale to their level don't remain in the permanent dicksucking mode like in their favorite prestigious IGNs and Eurogamers.
If it was a pun on Bethesda's game the pricks wouldn't even react (if not join the bandwagon instead, posting even stupider attempts at humour)

Writing reviews should never be a pre-requisite to criticism. It's not "the Codex way". We've always been free to criticise games in news posts, even before they've been released. That's not going to change. Much like the "BUT YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET!!!11!oneonetwothree" argument. If this upsets anyone, then I'd advise the Codex is not the place for them.

If you want a prestigious news magazine that doesn't attack anything (unless it's a review), avoids all attempts at humour (because someone might think it's not funny!!1), isn't occassionally juvenile or asinine and bores everyone to tears as a result because it never gets more than 1 or 2 comments, I propose those people go here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/ or here: http://www.rpgwatch.com/

:salute:

Fucking Quality Poster

The News Comments section should represent the entire spectrum of Codexian thought. Calling AP 'Alphaturd' is one of the forms of thought that are so prevalent here, that of the 'everything sucks lol' group.

We've got Obsidian fanboys, Bioware fanboys, AP haters, Troika nationalists, FO1>FO2fags, and a whole bunch of other twatters. I wouldn't want any one of these people to ever try and hide their subjective bias in the case of writing news. Trying to achieve some imaginary middle ground to me seems immature and childish. I know that for me, when I am analyzing an RPG I always compare it to Arcanum, because that to me is the best RPG out there. For some others, it may be BG2, or FO1, or Wasteland...the point is we should enjoy these differences for they are what define us.

That said, if you have a problem with the news, how about you join the news team and post some news of your own?

Monocause

Arcane
I thought the whole point of this thread was just to tell VoD that many of us didn't enjoy the joke and that he should try harder next time. Is there anything more to be discussed here? I don't think so.

1. VoD is a p. cool guy.
2. He made a poor joke. Shit happens.
3. He gets some flak for the poor joke, as is usual on this site.

Now, why Alpha Protocol, "what is the Codex" and other fluff got introduced to all this remains a mystery. Face it, most of the internet already considers the Codex a bunch of nerdraging idiots if they're aware of the site's existence at all. It would be so even if we'd resurrect Pushkin to write out newsposts. An alphaturd doesn't matter.

PS. I'm still waiting for a "FUCKING PILE OF WORTHLESS SHIT GOT PATCHED/RELEASED/PREVIEWED" newspost.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MetalCraze said:
We've always been free to criticise games in news posts, even before they've been released. That's not going to change.
Skyway, surely you're smart enough to understand that nobody's complaining about the criticism but about replacing criticism with the word "turd".

Don't worry, Skyway is prepared for that

smoothtalker.jpg

Terror Teats

Educated
Turd Dweller has entered the thread! He has =-==TP and kkl SP (serotonin pickles)

TP: turd paper

turd

Terror Teats

Educated
A wild Turdpologist has entered the fray! He is critically low on SP (seminary pickelhaube)!

Finish him!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Skyway, surely you're smart enough to understand that nobody's complaining about the criticism but about replacing criticism with the word "turd".

On 10 pages? By posting shitty jokes and lulz? No sorry - 10 pages sound like massive butthurt. Hey I posted that this joke failed myself on one of the first pages, but it took just a single post.
10 pages say "finally I found a reason to get back at VoD for shitting on my dear Obsidian" - because same people complaining here post unfunny shit on a par with "turd" in Bioware and Bethesda newsposts.

Fucking Quality Poster

Skyway is acting like all his posts aren't shit.

Edit: Or that he's even played 1 second of Alpha Protocol, which he has not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom