Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol taken down from Steam because the licensed music rights have expired

ADL

Prophet
Hard truth: Alpha Protocol would actually have been better as a straight up Call of Duty single player campaign with choice & consequence dialogue sequences (I exaggerate, but only a bit)

I've only heard of SEGA demanding they add the stealth system, not more meaningful reactivity. It was Chris Avellone who was concerned about that (which eventually resulted in Brian Mitsoda getting booted off the project)
I don't agree that it should've gone more linear at all but this is a good chance to mention Call of Duty Infinite Warfare which did a lot of interesting things with it's single player campaign.

Shame the normies didn't play it because it's the closest the series has come to :incline: in many, many years. Supposedly the new Modern Warfare has branching dialogue too.

Last edited:
And nothing of value was lost...

How do you make an action RPG with terrible combat and even worse stealth better? You make the dialogue real time! So you target a bunch of people who are so autistic, they can't handle combat being real time, and you make the dialogue real time instead!

Robert Erick

Educated
Alpha Protocol has (had?) everything going against it. The terrible ad that made it look like a CoD TPS where you shot moslems, the high probability of crashing or bugging out, the smug voice of the MC, the terrible balance, the shoddy stealth. But it ended up being one of my most favorite games of all time and I can say that I have finished it 5 times (Including a Rookie and Veteran playthrough). I'm sad to see it go from Steam, and even sadder to know that it'll never get a sequel, though perhaps that might be for the best considering the quality of Obsidian's latest projects.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How do you make an action RPG with terrible combat and even worse stealth better? You make the dialogue real time! So you target a bunch of people who are so autistic, they can't handle combat being real time, and you make the dialogue real time instead!

Brian Mitsoda doesn't care about ESL people.

(nor the status of Rome's skyline. :M)

Repressed Homosexual
Why are people excited about this turd? It is so bad that it gives me a headache just thinking about it. All I remember about it is that it consisted of nothing but brown environments and that everything about it was generic and mediocre.

People are still seriously looking up to Obsidian as the saviors of RPGs, when they never made a good game. Face it, they are not fundamentally any different than the AAA publishers you all despise so much.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you like spy stories and like Obsidian's writing and choice and consequence, and can tolerate Splinter Cell style popamole, then it's worth playing. I don't think very many would call it a masterpiece. Not hard to figure this stuff out but please do continue with your try-hard "oh wow you want to play THIS game???" shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom