Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
no joining, but building up his trust by acting like a pro during the flashforwards only to be able to brutally sodomize him when he doesn't expect it was pretty neat.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Mina was used as bait but I let her die due to Westridge revealing she ordered the missile strike
heh, that explains a lot. you wouldn't happen to know what triggers that?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No idea, but it was quite a revelation to me, and it made sense when you heard it.

And you mean you can't slam Leland's face to the table if he doesn't have a good impression of you? Cool.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
dunno if you can't, will have to try really pissing him off next time, but the sequence with the buildup was satisfying on a personal level.
also have to try to accept marburg's offer both during endgame and in rome. or see what happens if you kill him in rome.

Vaarna_Aarne

Not sure if you can kill him in Rome. I stopped the bombs, and he promptly escaped after our fight.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
What's the deal with SIS?
In my play-trough I didn't pay her much though, but apparently you can talk to the Albatross guy about the locked she gives you.

Writing guides for this game must be hell.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Jack said:
In my play-trough I didn't pay her much though, but apparently you can talk to the Albatross guy about the locked she gives you.
You lose 2 rep with Alba and gain 2 with Sis in one of the best exchanges in the entire game. It's very subtle and very awesome.

1eyedking

Erudite
Monocause said:
SuicideBunny said:
Seems killing Leland is a popular choice. Did anyone spare him or join him?
I joined Halbech. Couldn't get Marburg to help, even though my relationship with him was maxed (10 - Friendship). Mina somewhere in the middle got killed (presumably by Scarlet from what I've read), got a boss fight against Darcy, and a final boss fight against Westridge. Killed him. Leland guided me through the whole ordeal. I chose to betray him in the end, and escaped in the boat with Scarlet, to whom I had sent all the Halbech data I could find during the game.

When Leland asked how I could dare form my own secret agency I cited Scarlet (10 - Friendship), Alan Parker (who severely disliked [-5] me - though he flip-flopped after I went all rational on him) and Steven Heck (who hated [-8] me and even betrayed me) as possible associates. Very inconsistent ending, to be honest.

MetalCraze

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Because, well it's not a platformer or an open world game, making a jump animation that looks good/decent in all situations without breaking the forth wall is rather difficult.
:lol:
That's your excuse? No really?

Making running animation is also difficult of Obsidian it seems. Guess they never heard of mocap - as not everyone is Ubisoft Montreal.

The majority of jump's I've seen are scripted events to get onto certain platforms. Allowing the player to jump anywhere opens up a new can of worms, like, how do I keep a player within the bounds of the level I've set up? How do I keep him from seeing the flaws that become obvious from certain angles.
:lol: I can't believe my fucking eyes. I never saw such pathetic points even on ESF.

Well that explains why you like shitty console shooters. You have never played older, better, games (wonder how all of them perfectly lived with jumps? In fact some of them even had double-jumps!). And will not. Guess just like the majority posting in GRPGD now. Ah sweet ignorance.

We've established that not all games are open world RPG's. Get over it.
And linear RPGs didn't have quest compass in linear corridors either. And AP is a primitive corridor shooter. What's your point?

In oblivion once you know how it becomes easy.
In AP you don't even need to know anything. It's easy by default.

thief screenshot
Oh you've torrented it. Now play it and learn.

IT'S A BLOODY GAME BASED OFF OF SPY MOVIES, that is standard stuff for the genre.
So you didn't see spy movies either?

Quite, it's been done in a couple movies. Was ridiculous there too, once again it's par for the genre in ridiculousness.
Care to name them? I'm interested to know in which movies spies disappeared in plain sight by the will of the mind.

Dialogue and story seem to take more time than the action.
Cutscenes are long and tedious, yes. But they certainly don't take the majority of the time. Most of the time you play missions in between them. Which consist of nothing but action.

How is everything flawed, explain? Gameplay is a vehicle for story in any RPG that's not a wizardry clone. Fallout, VTM:B, PST and Arcanum can attest to this.
So you haven't played Fallout either? Fallout has next to none story. In both games there are just few frames and a video that tells you what happened, then in the middle of the game you learn who is the bad guy and then in the end you kill them. That's all there's to them.
Or are you talking about Failout 3?
Same with Arcanum - "omg you may be the chosen one" - and after that the whole "story" is just an excuse for you to move from one town to another. And that's it.
Wizardry clone? Jesus! Wiz wasn't even the first computer TB "first person" dungeon crawler.
Besides ever heard of RoA trilogy (especially 2nd and 3rd parts especially where devs did a huge job on mistakes)? It is story driven, it is linear yet it has an awesome combat and other very RPG-y gameplay elements (like it actually simulates hunger, illnesses in your party - heh even adding the whole party management layer, with the need to set guards when you go to sleep, the need to hunt and gather flowers and stuff for medicine). And lots of "random" encounters on the global map and inside dungeons. Somehow story didn't make it suck. Oh and yeah it had puzzles which you needed to solve with your brains, no quest-compasses and all that shit at all and hints were cryptic (and you had to look for them).
It's a 15 years old game - and any modern "RPG" is pathetic in comparison to it.

If you hate us that much why do you keep posting here, seriously if you find us that repulsive, go elsewhere
I mainly post in strategy subforum as it's the only forum that didn't suffer from moron invasion simply because console shooter fans are not interested in anything else. There are lots of good discussions with logical arguments to be had and quite a number of strategy games still come out, ranging from passable (SoaSE with two addons) to very good (Blood Bowl).
Besides I didn't post on Codex much in the recent months and when I checked GRPGD recently what I saw there was shocking to say the least. I mean I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but absolutely ignorant and moronic posts there make me look like a talented debate participant.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Not sure if you can kill him in Rome. I stopped the bombs, and he promptly escaped after our fight.
oh, but you can, using suave in the conversation after the fight, before he escapes.
might depend on your dossier completion though, because you use those infos to taunt him.

Vaarna_Aarne

SuicideBunny said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
oh, but you can, using suave in the conversation after the fight, before he escapes.
might depend on your dossier completion though, because you use those infos to taunt him.
Damn this game is full of this awesome stuff. I was too busy having Thorton channel GREAT JUSTICE at him.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
SuicideBunny said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Did you by any chance have negative rep? Because I had a good dossier(no special option though) but positive rep(8ish or so) and he ran from me even when I taunted. Or perhaps there is deeper C&C at work.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
KalosKagathos said:
Jack said:
You lose 2 rep with Alba and gain 2 with Sis in one of the best exchanges in the entire game. It's very subtle and very awesome.
Are there any real consequence for that?
Except for the points I mean.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fun stuff

ending spoilerz:

Had Steven Heck as handler, although I could also choose Sie, which was surprising, since I never bothered with her. The third choice was supposed to be Albatross, apparently, but he was greyed out and unavailable, no idea why. Maybe because I executed Sis back in Moscow, but I was in pretty good standing with G22, they even helped me in the final Taiwan mission.

Before escaping, I had a conversation with Marburg and used dossier info to shake his loyalty.

Made Parker flip-flop and give me all the data about Alpha Protocol, rescued trapped Mina, found imprisoned Scarlet, and while I freed her, I didn't join forces with her.

Never met or heard from Westridge. Final debriefing just said that he ran away and went into hiding. Maybe it was because of having Heck on my side, since in one place he was rambling about what funny things he wants to do with Westridge's anatomy.

Kicked the shit out of Darcy. Was satisfying.

Had a bossfight with Leland, after beating the shit out of him Marburg appeared but my previous conversation with him made him not give a fuck, and he just walked away. Beat the shit out of Leland some more and got him arrested. Then I sailed off to the sunset with Mina ~roll credits~

Good stuff. I'll definitely try another playthrough with a rambo character and other choices.

Also, from reading the other end-game spoilers so far, I really like how no one had a scenario identical to mine. I really like that. Each endgame seems different in some way.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
KalosKagathos said:
Jack said:
Are there any real consequence for that?
Except for the points I mean.
No idea. I haven't finished the game yet.
Spoiler: For me it caused Sis to appear twice in the final mission.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I didn't talk about the locket, maxed Albatross friend stat and she appeared two times for me too.
I guess it doesn't have an effect, perhaps if you let Alba die when he gets captured...

racofer

Thread Incliner
2ns1dok.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Posting the details of my final mission in proper spoiler tags just because:
I had Alba as my handler. Declined offer to Join Leland and got captured and restrained by Marburg, but not before sowing the seeds of discontent using dossier information.

Sis saved my from my incarceration, and I then proceeded to make Parker flipflop by pointing out flaws in his analysis. I then saved Mina, but I didn't see Scarlet, even though Leland mentioned having captured her(bluffing? How.... unbethesda of you), I did miss one door though. While protecting Parker Sis showed up again, then nothing interesting happened for a while(I fought a helicopter and Darcy).

I then defeated Westridge. Leland called for Marburg to help him, but he refused because of my previous actions. I then decide to let Leland live, but before anything can happen I get a sniper round in the shoulder. Shot by Scarlet. I did not see that coming, I knew she had a secret, but nothing like being an assassin. Anyway, I distract her by offering more money than Leland, allowing Mina to take her out with a sniper round to the face. Leland is once again spared and gets to account for all his crimes in court.

Thorton Rides away on the omega-yacht with Mina.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Jaedar said:
Did you by any chance have negative rep? Because I had a good dossier(no special option though) but positive rep(8ish or so) and he ran from me even when I taunted. Or perhaps there is deeper C&C at work.
igot that from the obsidian forum, haven't done it myself, but considering the whole thing about bad rep from the tutorial, it is rather likely that bad rep might be a requirement for something like taunting.

roll-a-die

Magister
MetalCraze said:
roll-a-die said:
Because, well it's not a platformer or an open world game, making a jump animation that looks good/decent in all situations without breaking the forth wall is rather difficult.
:lol:
That's your excuse? No really?

Making running animation is also difficult of Obsidian it seems. Guess they never heard of mocap - as not everyone is Ubisoft Montreal.
Mocap, a good animation, does not make. IIRC Morrowind used early mocap tech, as did Oblivion. What I'm saying is that Animation is hard to make universal. 1 jump animation, 1 fall animation, these don't look good in all situations. See Oblivion where the jump animation is complete shit.
The majority of jump's I've seen are scripted events to get onto certain platforms. Allowing the player to jump anywhere opens up a new can of worms, like, how do I keep a player within the bounds of the level I've set up? How do I keep him from seeing the flaws that become obvious from certain angles.
:lol: I can't believe my fucking eyes. I never saw such pathetic points even on ESF.
Once again IT'S NOT AN OPEN WORLD GAME! And even in open world games you run into the same issues. Game design is an art form, people make mistakes and have to make cuts. Floating trees in oblivion and every other open world game can attest to this.
Well that explains why you like shitty console shooters. You have never played older, better, games (wonder how all of them perfectly lived with jumps? In fact some of them even had double-jumps!). And will not. Guess just like the majority posting in GRPGD now. Ah sweet ignorance.
Some of the most fun you can have in Deus Ex is literally breaking it via the level design cuts they had to make and things they forgot to remove.
We've established that not all games are open world RPG's. Get over it.
And linear RPGs didn't have quest compass in linear corridors either. And AP is a primitive corridor shooter. What's your point?
Simply that you seem to think everything should be non-linear open world bullshit.
In oblivion once you know how it becomes easy.
In AP you don't even need to know anything. It's easy by default.
It is in oblvion as well, just take the mooncalf power at start, toggle invis and kill someone or steal something expensive. Repeat every day from then on.
thief screenshot
Oh you've torrented it. Now play it and learn.
Indeed I did torrent it, but I also played in on release, I just had to sell most of my video games and comics to pay off some of my atrocious college debts.
IT'S A BLOODY GAME BASED OFF OF SPY MOVIES, that is standard stuff for the genre.
So you didn't see spy movies either?
Every James Bond from The Spy Who Loved Me onward. And a few before then.
Every Borne movie and book.
A bunch of Tom Clancy books.
And a few other miscellaneous one here in there that I can recall the names of because I'm terrible with names of any sort.
Quite, it's been done in a couple movies. Was ridiculous there too, once again it's par for the genre in ridiculousness.
Care to name them? I'm interested to know in which movies spies disappeared in plain sight by the will of the mind.
A few manga's have done it, as have a couple Chinese spy movies, I can't recall the names because I have next to no memory recall for names of things.

The body positioning and language stuff does work to a lesser extent inside of crowds. If you want a video game that does it kinda right, see assassins creed.
Dialogue and story seem to take more time than the action.
Cutscenes are long and tedious, yes. But they certainly don't take the majority of the time. Most of the time you play missions in between them. Which consist of nothing but action.
Why are you calling dialogue cutscenes? Cutscenes can feature dialogue yes. But in general a cutscene is a video you watch with no option or choice involved, see every JRPG and Western Shooter ever. And what of reading dossiers and emails at your hideout.
How is everything flawed, explain? Gameplay is a vehicle for story in any RPG that's not a wizardry clone. Fallout, VTM:B, PST and Arcanum can attest to this.
So you haven't played Fallout either? Fallout has next to none story. In both games there are just few frames and a video that tells you what happened, then in the middle of the game you learn who is the bad guy and then in the end you kill them. That's all there's to them.
Or are you talking about Failout 3?
Same with Arcanum - "omg you may be the chosen one" - and after that the whole "story" is just an excuse for you to move from one town to another. And that's it.
Wizardry clone? Jesus! Wiz wasn't even the first computer TB "first person" dungeon crawler.
Besides ever heard of RoA trilogy (especially 2nd and 3rd parts especially where devs did a huge job on mistakes)? It is story driven, it is linear yet it has an awesome combat and other very RPG-y gameplay elements (like it actually simulates hunger, illnesses in your party - heh even adding the whole party management layer, with the need to set guards when you go to sleep, the need to hunt and gather flowers and stuff for medicine). And lots of "random" encounters on the global map and inside dungeons. Somehow story didn't make it suck. Oh and yeah it had puzzles which you needed to solve with your brains, no quest-compasses and all that shit at all and hints were cryptic (and you had to look for them).
It's a 15 years old game - and any modern "RPG" is pathetic in comparison to it.
And you have just proved my point IN ALL GOOD RPG's Gameplay is a vehicle to propel the story. Combat in fallout and Arcanum sucks, but the story within them and the quests you take more than make up for it. RoA seems much the same. But gameplay being a big bonus, I'll have to locate a copy of these, provided I don't have it in my big folder of torrented old RPG's.

Also a good plot doesn't have to be over arching, Fallouts was good because of the fact that you did move from town to town. And the many smaller better plots made up for the decent larger plot.
If you hate us that much why do you keep posting here, seriously if you find us that repulsive, go elsewhere
I mainly post in strategy subforum as it's the only forum that didn't suffer from moron invasion simply because console shooter fans are not interested in anything else. There are lots of good discussions with logical arguments to be had and quite a number of strategy games still come out, ranging from passable (SoaSE with two addons) to very good (Blood Bowl).
Besides I didn't post on Codex much in the recent months and when I checked GRPGD recently what I saw there was shocking to say the least. I mean I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but absolutely ignorant and moronic posts there make me look like a talented debate participant.
Really now? For the first 4 pages of your post record I see 1 strategy gaming post, the rest being general RPG, general gaming or a scant few GD. On the fifth there are 2 more, The majority being GG and GD. In the first ten page's there are around 17 strategy gaming posts, but around 70 GRPG and 70 GG posts. Seems to me you are lying.

Monocause

Arcane
I've dug up something interesting at Obsidian forums, a massive spoiler:

"From: the womb
In my game with Albatross as my handler for the Graybox, I contacted Parker and told him I saved his daughter in Rome. Later there was a scene where Parker shoots Marburg, Marburg kills Parker, and I had a boss battle with Marburg."

Seems like saving Madison has something going for it. She was a bit rushed IMHO, it wasn't difficult for me to sacrifice her, she was around too short for me to even start liking her. Had a bit of a laugh afterwards when Leland tried his mindgames - the decision to leave Madison to her fate was the easiest one in the whole game for me

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Clockwork Knight said:
Popamole is supposed to be a joke. Is there anyone who uses it seriously?
Actually, it's an useful term because "over the shoulder perspective shooter with cover system" is a bit too long for a name of a subgenre. It gets pretty ridiculous when it is used in completely different context ("is Doom the original popamole?").

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom