Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Going by the latest top RPG list, very few people even care about AP here. You have nothing to worry about.

Tagaziel

Scholar
That said I enjoyed AP because my character build made me super badass stealth pistol guy. It had good gameplay, for me personally.

Alpha Protocol is quite varied in that aspect. Granted, it is wonky in some places, but playing a super-stealthy-Garrett-wannabe is markedly different than playing a bloodthirsty Hobo Mike that shoots everyone in the face (my latest playthrough, alienated and/or killed everyone save for Steven Heck; soft spot for the psycho).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Meanwhile I'm doing my third playthrough as a veteran, and the game now is laughably easy.
I literally run through combat/stealth and rather focus on making the decisions instead of cooling down from frustrating moment (though had none of them).
Point is? Game is rather enjoyable when you got a grip on it (and fix lagging).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not sure "laughably easy" = "enjoyable", if that's the point you're trying to make. Actually, that is one of the reasons that made me abandon my second AP playthrough.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'm not sure "laughably easy" = "enjoyable", if that's the point you're trying to make. Actually, that is one of the reasons that made me abandon my second AP playthrough.
If stealth and combat weren't so flawed, I would probably enjoy those parts of the game. Even hacking and lockpicking seems like a nice distraction from poorly implemented stealth, and playing as a veteran allows to get through sometimes frustrating combat sequences rather fast. Because of that, 60-70% of my playthrough is reading and making decisions.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If stealth and combat weren't so flawed, I would probably enjoy those parts of the game. Even hacking and lockpicking seems like a nice distraction from poorly implemented stealth, and playing as a veteran allows to get through sometimes frustrating combat sequences rather fast. Because of that, 60-70% of my playthrough is reading and making decisions.

Yeah, I know, that is precisely the way my playthrough went. It's just that the combat/stealth parts are so underwhelming that I couldn't even get through the game the second time I played it. :(

A shame, really, 'cause C&C are p. well done indeed.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Yeah, I know, that is precisely the way my playthrough went. It's just that the combat/stealth parts are so underwhelming that I couldn't even get through the game the second time I played it. :(

What was your ending?

Crooked Bee

Patron

What was your ending?

I don't recall the specifics anymore, but I do remember sailing away with one of the love interests.

zwanzig_zwoelf

What was your ending?

I don't recall the specifics anymore, but I do remember sailing away with one of the love interests.
Well, that's just a usual part of it.
Luckily, not everyone is exactly a 'love interest'. On my first I was sailing with Heck (or alone, can't remember right, but Mike ended up being a virgin and I didn't even realise that he could screw anyone).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Fair enough. I'm just saying the game didn't quite live up to its potential, due to the non-dialogue gameplay that pretty much sucks.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Fair enough. I'm just saying the game didn't quite live up to its potential, due to the non-dialogue gameplay that pretty much sucks.
Not to mention the fucked up filesystem, which is (most likely) causes lags.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The one thing that will never change, however, is that you would have still died during the tutorial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom