Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol - my impressions after training mission

1eyedking

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
MetalCraze said:
In no way you can "forget" that Thief 3 had enemies calling for help, enemies having patrol routes and trying to look for you dynamically, free approach, speed of movement affecting detection

Sounds like Alpha Protocol...
You wish. AP's AI was such an afterthought in their priority list that when you make some noise and later sneak somewhere else, enemies magically sense your new position and run towards you directly without even stopping to check the noise source's location.

Moreover, speed doesn't affect detection because there's no lighting nor surface modifiers.

Come on, Darth, Skyway's an asshat sometimes but he's definitely right about AP's stealth being utter shit, particularly when much of the game revolves around it. For fuck's sake, the game doesn't take floor surfaces nor lighting into account - that alone should be enough for one to discern it's bad.

none of which are present in AP when you are "stealthing" - all you do in the end is stay behind enemies.

... oh, sorry then. I guess I didn't play the game.
He's partially right. Even when he's not right, it still sucks ass: you're 7 meters away in plain light and still enemies don't spot you.

Face it. AP's stealth deparment is pure shit and can't be salvaged. You should really cling to the game's "stronger" points if you want to convince your liking it being due to the immense quality of its design. Because this...

...this...

...is too easy.

1eyedking

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
What about the Invisibility spell in AD&D? Is that a stupid mechanic too?

Yeah. But it gets leeway because magic = asspulling bullshit, anyway
Oh really? Why don't you make an argument of it, out of change?

Anyway, you said that you noticed it was shit on your 2nd playthough. How was the 1st?
Gameplay mechanics: terribly bad. Skills didn't count for shit, just breezed through the game on Hard without EVER buying a single weapon/armor/gadget (at one point I even forgot I could). Never used a single cooldown ability.

Let's just say I carried myself through just so that I could comment on C&C without my head stuck in my ass, given the game doesn't allow you to fucking quicksave/load.

And Don't you dare pull that card.

C&C: didn't know, they seemed gameworld-affecting at first. Story was mediocre and full of lame plot twists (of the no clue given, "ZOMG I WAS ACTUALYL AN ASSASSIN LOLLOLOLOL" kind)

On my 2nd go, C&C turned out to be just flavor. Check the other thread for an example.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
MetalCraze said:
In no way you can "forget" that Thief 3 had enemies calling for help, enemies having patrol routes and trying to look for you dynamically, free approach, speed of movement affecting detection

Sounds like Alpha Protocol...
No it doesn't.
Enemies guard walls and you just press the magical "sneak" button and something happens to their hearing, as well as sight because they can't seem to hear you running. And as for calling for help? Haha.
Or care to give me an example of how and where this happens in AP and where is the free approach in a completely linear map? And how about other points?

none of which are present in AP when you are "stealthing" - all you do in the end is stay behind enemies.

... oh, sorry then. I guess I didn't play the game.
You didn't play Thief that's for sure. Nobody in their right mind will put an equal sign between Thief and AP stealth mechanics

Clockwork Knight said:
1eyedking said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Crimhead, dumb mechanics are alright if you have a nice setting excuse, like cybernetic augments, chips that somehow make you stronger or vampire magic
What about the Invisibility spell in AD&D? Is that a stupid mechanic too?

Yeah. But it gets leeway because magic = asspulling bullshit, anyway
How about not being a faggot for once and telling how exactly is it a stupid mechanic in a magic world?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
1eyedking said:
you make some noise and later sneak somewhere else, enemies magically sense your new position and run towards you directly without even stopping to check the noise source's location.

Try using the sound generator and confront your own opinion again.

Moreover, speed doesn't affect detection because there's no lighting nor surface modifiers.

Try approaching someone using crouch walking, then try approaching someone using sprinting and confront your own opinion again.

He's partially right. Even when he's not right, it still sucks ass: you're 7 meters away in plain light and still enemies don't spot you.

The beginning Al-Samad terrorists or some tracksuit mobsters, maybe. The CSP commandoes in Taiwan or G22 seem to have telescopic eyesights and can spot you from a large distance even if you have the top stealth armour + steath generator mod (or whatever it was called) + at least advanced concealment from stealth.

Face it. AP's stealth deparment is pure shit and can't be salvaged. You should really cling to the game's "stronger" points if you want to convince your liking it being due to the immense quality of its design. Because this...

I stealthed through the whole game and didn't really notice it being supershit.

skyway said:
Enemies guard walls

I'm sorry, I stopped reading there.

1eyedking

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Try using the sound generator and confront your own opinion again.
Try making non-scripted (in analogy non-linear) noise. The kind of noise you'd make in Thief and Splinter Cell.

Try approaching someone using crouch walking, then try approaching someone using sprinting and confront your own opinion again.
Oh, look: the system covers the bare bones basics! Bravo! That doesn't make it good, though, right? They forgot to include stuff like lightning, shadows and floor surface parameters.

And in case you're pulling the what now seems to be popular "it's an RPG" card, why the hell does it have minigames? Why the hell must you aim your weapons manually? At least start making some sense, FFS.

The beginning Al-Samad terrorists or some tracksuit mobsters, maybe. The CSP commandoes in Taiwan or G22 seem to have telescopic eyesights and can spot you from a large distance even if you have the top stealth armour + steath generator mod (or whatever it was called) + at least advanced concealment from stealth.
You're exaggerating. If you're crouching, you're practically invisible anywhere in a 10 meter radius against anyone.

"Oh look, it's a hunched humanoid shape with all sorts of colored lights on it. Whatever. Probably a Christmas tree."

I stealthed through the whole game and didn't really notice it being supershit.
Arguments. Please explain why the no surface/lighting/jumping system is better. Otherwise, why don't you just admit these features are missing and are very important for a stealth-based game?

skyway said:
I'm sorry, I stopped reading there.
Hehe, it's fun because they actually do. I found a lot of guards just staring at what must have been some pretty awe-inspiring walls during my run.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
1eyedking said:
Try making non-scripted (in analogy non-linear) noise. The kind of noise you'd make in Thief and Splinter Cell.

That I also did a few times, and sometimes they go to your location after you hide, sometimes they don't.

Oh, look: the system covers the bare bones basics! Bravo!

1eyedking: Speed doesn't affect detection.
Darth Roxor: yes, it does...
1eyedking: WHOA, LIKE, WHOA, IT MAY DO THAT BUT IT'S BARE BONES BASIC

I see you're an apprentice of Skyway-Fu.

That doesn't make it good, though, right? They forgot to include stuff like lightning, shadows and floor surface parameters.

I didn't say it's superfuckingstellar anywhere, now have I? And the lack of lighting also bugged me.

And in case you're pulling the what now seems to be popular "it's an RPG" card

Check all my early impressions of AP where I clearly state it's not an RPG in almost any way.

You're exaggerating. If you're crouching, you're practically invisible anywhere in a 10 meter radius against anyone.

No. I'm not. Crouch-walking reduces sight range only slightly, it's mainly sound-dampening. If you stand in someone's line of sight he will spot you, especially if they're commandoes like the CSP, G22 or VCI.

Arguments. Please explain why the no surface/lighting/jumping system is better.

Find me a quote when I say it's better.

Otherwise, why don't you just admit these features are missing and are very important for a stealth-based game?

Find me a quote when I say they aren't missing.

Hehe, it's fun because they actually do. I found a lot of guards just staring at what must have been some pretty awe-inspiring walls during my run.

I found maybe two or three who would really stare at walls. The others that are looking at 'walls' are folks that look through windows or are obvious lookouts on the roofs etc, and these are still pretty rare.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
racofer said:
AlaCarcuss said:
And this is the comment all you fucktards who've played through no more than 5% of the game should be making - anything else you say is redundant.

It was taking long for the "YOU HAZ NOT PLAIED IT NOUGH U CANT COMENT!" bawwing crowd to show up.

So tell me. When you'd just seen screenshots/vids and a handfull of less than favourable reviews of Bloodlines that existed after it was first released, did you run off at the mouth as you're doing now?

I certainly thought that game would be shit until I played it. Not to mention it also was a buggy mess for quite a while after it's release.

Edit: Actually, it seems to me that if they've got the core mechanics of story and C&C right - with patches (both dev and user made), AP could indeed end up in a similar state as Bloodlines - point is, neither you or I know for sure....

1eyedking

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
That I also did a few times, and sometimes they go to your location after you hide, sometimes they don't.
Lies. They always go to where you are, even if you crouched your way out of there.

1eyedking: Speed doesn't affect detection.
Darth Roxor: yes, it does...
1eyedking: WHOA, LIKE, WHOA, IT MAY DO THAT BUT IT'S BARE BONES BASIC

I see you're an apprentice of Skyway-Fu.
More like the game has three stances speeds, sorry, am I right? Holding down "Forward" while crouching doesn't make noise even on marble, am I right? Just like in Thief and Splinter Cell, am I right? Those games didn't totally have, like, eight speeds that sounded different depending on the surface, right?

Right?

I didn't say it's superfuckingstellar anywhere, now have I? And the lack of lighting also bugged me.
That's a relief. Your IQ is in three digits, at least.

Check all my early impressions of AP where I clearly state it's not an RPG in almost any way.
That is reasonable. Most people here aren't. But to the point: if it's not an RPG, then we must argue in another genre's terms, right?

No. I'm not. Crouch-walking reduces sight range only slightly, it's mainly sound-dampening. If you stand in someone's line of sight he will spot you, especially if they're commandoes like the CSP, G22 or VCI.
I attest against this. It's true, it's a variable that depends on the type of enemy, but it still ass-close for what it is. Any man with his eyes intact would spot you if you wore black against a well-lit background at the distance they don't, and this is being fairly generous in account to it being a game.

Find me a quote when I say it's better.
Then you say it's good? Why do you say it's good? Against what other games and genres are you gauging it?

Find me a quote when I say they aren't missing.
They are missing, yet you're OK with this?

I found maybe two or three who would really stare at walls. The others that are looking at 'walls' are folks that look through windows or are obvious lookouts on the roofs etc, and these are still pretty rare.
Yes, this is true. Some of them look at "scenery walls", so to speak, but plenty of others like staring at immovable crates instead of the weapons cache nearby. It would be could if these were the annoying guards in Thief that you had to risk luring out of their posts because they were guarding something very important, or water all the nearby torches to cross unnoticed, or throw one of your two moss arrows behind him to walk past the metal grates, or look for another point of entry to avoid him altogether, or firing one of your expensive Gas arrows and be done with it, or planting a Gas mine nearby, or... (see what I did there?)

1eyedking

Erudite
Nostradumbass said:
meanwhile nearly everyone else is enjoying AP, for what it is. :smug:
And what is it?

An RPG? Minigames LOL, manual aiming LOL, no dialogue trees lol, no strength/agility/intelligence/etc stats lol, no world exploration lol, no inventory management lol, flavor C&C LOL...

A stealth action game? No lighting LOL, no surface-based sound LOL, no jumping LOL, stupid AI LOL...

People are enjoying shit but because they must keep their insurmountable egos unhurt they're trying to keep the thousands of leaks the game has from flooding their self-biased views with a web of excuses and apologies that makes for a truly sad read in what was in another time a SERIOUS BUSINESS RPG discussion forum.

kris

Arcane
Having played a third of the game.

Pros
- Well written dialogue (actually one of the most classy I seen)
- There is a consequence to almost everything you do.
- There is varied missions
- Nice atmosphere
- Like the e-mail system that you also can use is a not time dialogue system

Cons
- Missions are to linear. This is bad in several ways, as you are forced to finish missions as they want it. No sneaking in the other way.
- To much "commando" more than "spy"
- Map layout to more or less prevent sneaking your way through it.
- Hack minigame. I hate it, but at least EMP can circumvert it.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot and I think the conversation system has worked really well, even if I would want it in all games.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Darth Roxor

"Sounds like Alpha Protocol..."

Go play Thief again, and i mean the first one. Do the first mission, the one with the least amount of possible tools and tricks for the player to load up and the most predictable enemy patterns. Notice that even then there are, in the very first mission, diferent ways to approach the map. Many diferent ways, and notice how in the highest dificulty setting you must be really careful not to make anyone notice you. Careful as in you misjudge a jump, or the sound made by a surface, or the distance between you and the guard, or the timing of a route and must restart or reload. To do even the first mission of Thief in high dificulty requires, if you aren't really into the stealthy and let's plan every momevent and break each and every pattern gameplay, a very high amount of reloads.

Now move to the later Thief missions. Still in the hardest mode, with a really big amount of tools and tricks to pick before each mission. Given the way the levels are built there are many ways to face every single challenge there is in a level combining the potions, the arrows, the mines, the layouts, and the patterns of the guards themselves. Even with all your arsenal of tricks and tools you need to be really careful.

Then watch how a boss fight in a stealth game is done. Ideally, the boss never even notices you presence. You...

... pattern his movements, time your own ones right, take the eye, place the fake one in it's place, return to the shadows, giggle sadistically. You just tricked a God into killing himself, LOL. And all of this happens in a very little room, so you must really time it right or get your ass handed back to you by evil thingie.

Are you sure comparing that level of stealth gameplay with anything in Alpha Protocol is fair? And that was one of the very first stealth games. Are we asking less of an stealth game released in 2010 than we expected from one released in 1998 and when the genre wasn't even defined?

I think i have been pretty open to Alpha Protocol and even accepted when i got some information wrong, sure, but let's be honest here. Alpha Protocol had the potential to be a Thief level game, sure, and the fact you can pick your equipment before going to missions, buy extra intelligence and objectives, have to get your own funds, and stuff make it look like it could have been. But none of those ideas are taken all the way to even Thief levels, the first one, the definer of the stealth genre, and much less surpass it. And the stealth itself, the place all those ideas would find it reason to be, is weak in comparison to Thief. Really weak.

Like, Thief II had cameras. Steampunk cameras, even. And they had not a big green spotlight, because the game wasn't build from the ground up around the idea you were a retard unable to understand a big mechanical eye in the ceiling had to be evaded when was looking not your way. Any of the Thief games has way more tools and tricks than if you get all the sneaking skills and tools in Alpha Protocol combined, and not even this incredible amazing bag of tricks makes the missions a non issue. You even get invisibility potions with a really short duration, just like the skill on Alpha Protocol. The diference is in that you have to buy them, they aren't cheap, the duration is really short, your funds are really limited, and if you play your cards right you will not need it. They don't break the game, and they can easily break your chances of making it through the mission (do you have an idea how many rope arrows and water arrows you would have bought with that one potion?). That's a choice with some big consequences for you, and it did not even need of writing and QTEs. That's the mark of a well designed game.

"Try using the sound generator and confront your own opinion again."

You mean they have a sound generator, something bloody Commandos and bloody Desperados did right already, and got it so wrong it is a contention point? It was already done. It is not new. It is not rocket science. Thief has decoy arrows, man. Sound generators on a flying stick. It's not that hard to do them right, and no one ever found the way they were done on those games to be a point of contention and debate. You use them, they work each time. When they don't, it is clear why they didn't. Mechanically simple and transparent, as it must be. And there was nothing to argue about. If Obsidian can't get that right, don't you think people is allowed to discuss they can't design for shit?

"Try approaching someone using crouch walking, then try approaching someone using sprinting and confront your own opinion again."

They are not discussing sprinting. Like, if you are sprinting around and they are oblivious to that the game is worthless and you all are retards, period. The point is that carefully and slowly moving around should not be a move freely card as it is. You still need to time when you step on diferent surfaces to be sure no guard is on the sound range, taking in consideration the echo and the sound mechanics in the game. Crouching and creeping are not get out of jail free cards, they are tools. They have conditions that must be met, pros and cons. It is not a choice between move carefully and sprint to the fucker. It is a choice between diferent movement types combined to the speed of the enemies, the patterns they follow, the surfaces you must move through, and then timing it all. In Thief the first you have creeping, crouching creeping, walking, crouching walk, running, and crouching running. Then you have the diferent surfaces, and the mechanics that control the way sound works. It is all common sense, even, and it honors Looking Glass that they managed to make lots of variables without they ever being non related to common sense, there's almost no gameisms in Thief.

It is just me or i'm starting to really sound like a fangirl here? D:

"The beginning Al-Samad terrorists or some tracksuit mobsters, maybe. The CSP commandoes in Taiwan or G22 seem to have telescopic eyesights and can spot you from a large distance even if you have the top stealth armour + steath generator mod (or whatever it was called) + at least advanced concealment from stealth."

That's crappy design. Why make the first bunch of enemies retards and then the later ones amazingly incredible percetive guys with ESP? Make the first guys good at what they do. Then go adding guys that do diferent things that complement those, and create diferent situations and rooms exploiting the diferent advantages and disadvantages of each kind of guard and monster and mob to challenge the player in diferent ways. In Thief (I'm no fangirl! It's a lie!) the guards on the first level are as deadly as the guards later on, and the hammerites on the second level are as deadly as the hammerites on the last ones. The patterns, the level design, the route design, the surfaces and lighting and many other things change the dificulty of the levels, not the retardness of the first guards and the mystical development of the latter ones.

Also, Garret is hot and Mike is an ugly jerk.

emotwordsy.gif
Thief is better
emotwordsy.gif
Alpha Protocol sucks
emotwordsy.gif

@ 1eyedking

"A stealth action game? No lighting LOL, no surface-based sound LOL, no jumping LOL, stupid AI LOL..."

...no ghosting LOL, no really big variety of tools with diferent pros and cons LOL, no multiple entry points LOL, no free movement on the premises LOL, no enemies checking one another's state LOL, no enemies reacting to changes in lighting LOL, no enemies reacting to changes in their route LOL, guards with the attention span of a goldfish LOL.

And in a diferent paragraph go the bloody boss fights on a stealth game. Because there's stupid, and then there's boss fights on a stealth game. D:

@ Kris

"- There is a consequence to almost everything you do."

What i do want to know is if there are important, meaningful consequences to anything you do. Like, are there diferent routes or just one route with slight changes? Is there the posibility to get you, through your choices, into a corner from which you can't go anywhere but to total failure? As in congratulations Mike! Thanks to your retardness the world will be plunged into total war while the villains giggle evilly. You really suck at this, man. No go back to the begining and try again, this time thinking. Thank you. or are you on a straight line to victory and are only allowed to switch some victory conditions around and speeches around? Are there routes that lead inevitably to Failure, as in if at a certain point you have certain combination of past choices the game goes down a route, with their own set of choices and consequences, maybe shorter than the other ones but at least several hours long by itself, that has no positive ending, and in which winning is impossible? Does it even have points through the main routes, or the only route, where past decisions put you in a situation impossible to win, as in the consequence of your past choices is failure so try again?

Are diferent sets of chapters that you squeeze into or lock yourself out of because of your choices? Are extra paths based on your choices that go far beyond the normal set of endings and into a much more detailed set of choices and expositions? Do your choices inside a route or path change the last set of chapters into totally diferent ones, to the point they totally change the sense and meaning of the story, or even the great revelations themselves?

Do they pull an evil trick almost at the end and make you choose from among a dozen diferent places to go while the clock is ticking down, you only have time to visit one, and the right answer was revealed in a totally unimportant description on the prologue? Well, maybe I actually can live without that one. Where was Akiha's room, again? Where could Sara have gone, as the submarine habitat begins collapsing under the pressure? :(

For a game so advertized for its Choices and Consequences (Choice is your weapon, LOL) so far i have heard nothing even at the level of a quality Visual Novel, and i'm not talking about the very best ones. Even some CYOA books were less casual than how i understand Choices and Consequences work on Alpha Protocol, and that's really low.

I get the feeling most people here really talk of choices and consequences, sure, but don't have a much clearer view on what they are suposed to be than, say, Biotards, that go on and on talking about how a diferent email and some extra initial funds in Mass Effect 2 is the crown of Consequencing. So far Alpha Protocol is on a higher level than Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2, sure, but it still is on a lower level than...

* Black Cat uses her XP to get +1 Dirty Fighting skill *

... Bible Black, and that's, like, not even considered serious Choices and Consequences material. It's porn, actually. Bad porn, even.

Multi-headed Cow

"Also, Garret is hot and Mike is an ugly jerk."
Only part I read but I'm just gonna post I agree with it. Garrett, greatest videogame antihero.

Multi-headed Cow

Wait, fuck, I just noticed porn C&C while reading my own magnificent post. I want to know more.

Black Cat

Magister
You are really new at this of Choices and Consequences, eh? I had thought everyone on the Codex would have at least tried the porn first. Get yourself Bible Black, if you are a vile degenerate who only wants cheesy porn with occult references, or either Tsukihime or Fate/Stay Night, if you want really cheesy porn with really cool plots, which are actually so cool most people play the versions without porn because they feel it was just tacked on to get greater sales.

If you are really sick go get Tactic's Moon, too. It is horrible, though. And making enough wrong choices can make the game unwinable in several even more horrible ways. And i you don't feel like vomiting thrice or more you have no soul nor heart, that thing is bloody awful. I was curious because, like, i said, psychological mystery visual novel with a female protagonist? That's weird, let's have a look. D: Never again. Oh, god. Never bloody again.

If you are into the entire cheesy spy movie thing, though, go get Eve Burst Error and Adam Double Factor, though those i never played by myself so i don't know how good or bad the choices and consequences are, and the porn is edited out in some versions so if you are into that you'll have to check for yourself.

That's for a good start. Then start looking for yourself, it is not like there are few porn visual novels with good C&C, nor few dating sims. And, like, asking a girl for porn with choices and consequences is going to end with you playing something Yaoi, like...

gal_enzai11a.jpg

... and i don't think you want that. I hope not, at least.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Clockwork Knight

+1 Reputation

Now you have to explain to me how do you know it. I really want to know. :yaoifangirl:

Dragula

Augur
The visual novels would be alright if it wasn't because of the fucking art style and the fucking Japanese crap.

Black Cat said:
Now you have to explain to me how do you know it. I really want to know. :yaoifangirl:

Younger CK: "Oh lol, I didn't know this "hentai" thing existed...oh, there's games too, I like games :) - wait, what does "yaoi" me- AAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Metalcraze said:
How about not being a faggot for once and telling how exactly is it a stupid mechanic in a magic world?

1eyedking said:
Oh really? Why don't you make an argument of it, out of change?

Herp derp, there's no argument to be made, it's fucking magic. No bullshit justification like "implants" or "skill" or whatever the fuck you call it on a given setting. It's still retarded because it's one of those things that should change the world completely, like resurrection, create food or detect alignment, but like those, is treated like one more silly spell to assist the party in sum orc killing.

1eyedking said:
Gameplay mechanics: terribly bad. Skills didn't count for shit, just breezed through the game on Hard without EVER buying a single weapon/armor/gadget (at one point I even forgot I could). Never used a single cooldown ability.

Let's just say I carried myself through just so that I could comment on C&C without my head stuck in my ass, given the game doesn't allow you to fucking quicksave/load.

And Don't you dare pull that card.

C&C: didn't know, they seemed gameworld-affecting at first. Story was mediocre and full of lame plot twists (of the no clue given, "ZOMG I WAS ACTUALYL AN ASSASSIN LOLLOLOLOL" kind)

On my 2nd go, C&C turned out to be just flavor. Check the other thread for an example.

Cool, thx. Don't worry, that card is retarded anyway (I still find it a little masochistic, but you were doing it for the greater good :salute:)

Black Cat

Magister
@ Dragula

Regardless of your, or mine, or our opinion on their art style or their japaneseness they still have far more choices and consequences than Alpha Protocol without even trying nor advertising it, and have been around since, like, forever. So, comparatively speaking, just as Alpha Protocol's stealth is bad when compared to the stealth games that came before it and its action is bad when compared to action games that came before it and its role playing is bad when compared to the games that came before it, its choices and consequences are bad when compared to what came before it. And Alpha Protocol does not even has an Art Style to criticize, so let's not go in there.

So what's the point of Alpha Protocol? To be a porridge of half assed and badly implemented elements of other genres, and that somehow makes it a good game? Bad choices and consequences, bad stealth, bad action, bad production values, bad role playing elements does not a good game make, regardless of how much you try.

And the only positive comparisons that have been made where outright lies, like comparing its stealth gameplay to the Thief games. All other comments on how good the game is are along the lines of but i like it. Sure, I like, no, I actually love crappy MMO with cute races and cute pets and truly cosplayable armor that would cause my dad a cardiac arrest if i actually tried to cosplay it. Does that make those games good? Having fun means nothing at all, and the only good things said about Alpha Protocol is hey, everything said against it is true but, man, it's fun!

@ Clockwork Knight

I see. I know that feeling, yes. That's more or less how i found about Moon, and the scars will never heal.

Edity Edit: Corrected all instances of Mass Effect to read Alpha Protocol. That's my subconscious for you. x3

Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:
If you are into the entire cheesy spy movie thing, though, go get Eve Burst Error and Adam Double Factor,

Why do manga always have these weird nonsensical names?

Magic Knight Rayearth (魔法騎士レイアース, Mahō Kishi Rayearth?)
(and Magic Knight Rayearth II sequel)
Clamp Kodansha Tokyopop
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (アベノ橋 魔法☆商店街, Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai?) Satoru Akahori Kodansha Tokyopop
Magical x Miracle (Magical X Miracle, Majikaru Mirakuru?) Yuzu Mizutani Ichijinsha Tokyopop (NA)
Madman Entertainment (Aus/NZ)
Mahoromatic (まほろまてぃっく, Mahoromatikku?) Bunjūrō Nakayama and Bow Ditama Wani Books Tokyopop (NA)
Madman Entertainment (Aus/NZ)
Maiden Rose (百日の薔薇, Hyakujitsu no Bara?) Inariya Fusanosuke Ookura Shuppan Digital Manga Publishing
Maison Ikkoku (めぞん一刻, Mezon Ikkoku?) Rumiko Takahashi Shogakukan Viz Media
Mai, the Psychic Girl (舞, Mai?) Kazuya Kudo and Ryoichi Ikegami Shogakukan (serialization)
Media Factory (collections) Eclipse Comics (single-issue form)
Viz Comics (collections)
Maka-Maka Torajirō Kishi Jive Media Blasters
Make Love & Peace (ラブにピース, Rabu ni Pīsu?) Takane Yonetani Ohzora Shuppan Aurora Publishing
Mamotte! Lollipop (まもって!ロリポップ, Mamotte! Roripoppu?) Michiyo Kikuta Kodansha Del Rey Manga (NA)
Tanoshimi (UK)
Man of Many Faces (20面相におねがい!!, 20 Mensou ni Onegai!?) Clamp Kadokawa Shoten Tokyopop
Man's Best Friend (Inu mo Akeruba) Kazusa Takashima Biblos Blu
Mao-Chan (陸上防衛隊まおちゃん, Rikujō Bōetai Mao-chan?) Ken Akamatsu Kodansha Del Rey Manga
MÄR: Märchen Awakens Romance (メル, Meru?) Nobuyuki Anzai Shogakukan Viz Media
Marionette Generation (マリオネット ジェネレーション, Marionetto Jenereeshon?) Haruhiko Mikimoto Kadokawa Shoten Viz Media
Marmalade Boy (ママレード·ボーイ, Mamarēdo Bōi?)

It's not even that they're bad Engrish translations, but they don't seem to make sense even in the original. WTF?

Magic Knight Rayearth
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Mai, the Psychic Girl
Man of Many Faces
Man's Best Friend

These make sense (first one should be "Magic Knights of Rayearth", though). Maison Ikkoku means something I don't remember right now, and Marmalade Boy is explained in the story(an analogy, iirc)

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Black Cat said:
So what's the point of Alpha Protocol? To be a porridge of half assed and badly implemented elements of other genres, and that somehow makes it a good game? Bad choices and consequences, bad stealth, bad action, bad production values, bad role playing elements does not a good game make, regardless of how much you try.

Welcome to the last 10-12 years of CRPGs the Codex loves

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
1eyedking said:
Lies. They always go to where you are, even if you crouched your way out of there.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

More like the game has three stances speeds, sorry, am I right? Holding down "Forward" while crouching doesn't make noise even on marble, am I right? Just like in Thief and Splinter Cell, am I right? Those games didn't totally have, like, eight speeds that sounded different depending on the surface, right?

The point was whether creeping/running/sprinting have different levels of noise making. They do, so stop weaseling out with 'BUT... BUT... BUT... IT COULD BE BETTER' because if you used the 'IT COULD BE BETTER' shtick, every game could be labled as banal shit boring.

That is reasonable. Most people here aren't. But to the point: if it's not an RPG, then we must argue in another genre's terms, right?

But it's not a full-time stealth game either, so arguing about it in another another genre's terms isn't really fine either.

I attest against this. It's true, it's a variable that depends on the type of enemy, but it still ass-close for what it is. Any man with his eyes intact would spot you if you wore black against a well-lit background at the distance they don't, and this is being fairly generous in account to it being a game.

Remember the beginning of the last mission in Taipei? To the left of the starting point, there was a garden house with a guard and a computer controlling the explosives set to a nearby bridge. There was also another guard patrolling the route from the house to the starting point. It was definitely more than 'ass-close' or '7 meters' or whatever. When I was crouching at the stairs to the house, with top stealth armour and advanced concealement, the patrolling guard could spot me from the opposite point of his patrol route.

Then you say it's good? Why do you say it's good? Against what other games and genres are you gauging it?

I say it's good because it actually works. It's not a useless gimmick that lets you bypass 2-3 fights in the game. It's a way to play through the whole game, except for a couple of rare moments where you just have to make a stand, like at the radar dish in the ruins in Rome. For instance, getting through the G22 building in Taiwan where you have to bug some servers and disable a radar jammer on the roof without a single kill OR takedown was extremely satisfying.

They are missing, yet you're OK with this?

They would enhance the gameplay a real fucking lot, but in its current state, it is pretty ok without them.

Are you sure comparing that level of stealth gameplay with anything in Alpha Protocol is fair?

No.

Then why the fuck do you people keep doing it, I wonder.

You mean they have a sound generator, something bloody Commandos and bloody Desperados did right already, and got it so wrong it is a contention point?

WAT?

Why make the first bunch of enemies retards and then the later ones amazingly incredible percetive guys with ESP?

Because obviously there's nothing in between, right?

not the retardness of the first guards and the mystical development of the latter ones.

'mystical development'. Durr. Because, obviously, some random guy in a tracksuit has the very same training and awareness as an ex-covert ops operative.

I just won't reply to anything else from that wall of text of yours because everything that matters you've already said in the very first sentence after the spoiler, but somehow, it didn't shut you up:

Are you sure comparing that level of stealth gameplay with anything in Alpha Protocol is fair?

Alpha Protocol is not a stealth game, like Splinter Cell or Thief or Hitman. It is also not an RPG, like Torment or Wizardry or Gothic. It's a fucking TPP game with stealth (usable stealth that allows to go through levels with no shots fired) and rpg elements (stats, abilities, 'random' hit chance, customization).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom