Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Alpha Protocol gets a preview

Lurkar

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Now, this sounds like some good news. Dialogue where the first impression actually counts, unlike most other RPGs where you can just quit the convo and talk to the NPC again, this time trying out different choices.

Not exactly. Sure, there "may" be some differing outcomes, but this good comes with the terrible malady of the whole "first impression" being a total crapshoot. The "stances" seem to be basically only the tone in which you do something, they probably don't tell you how your character is going to "act". And by act, I mean take action. For instance, if I'm a suave fellow, and happen upon some sort of big guy picking on the little guy scenario, there's at least two "suave" ways to deal with the scenario. One "could", in "reality", elect to be a suave nice guy who diplomatically stomps the big mean guy by using his suaveness to humiliate or emasculate him, or perhaps "suavely" applies a ju-jitsu joint lock and follows it up with a corny line. One could also choose to be a suave douchebag and curry the favor of the big mean guy by "suavely" joining in on the fun, whether with words or violence. So if the stance system is the only method of conversation, as it has seemed to be in all the previews so far, as opposed to a filter for dialogue trees, it's going to be like Mass Effect's extremely idiotic cousin with the player's choice having a huge disconnect from the character's actual actions, which is a bad thing in a role-playing game...a really bad thing.

From what it sounds like, though, you don't JUST choose a stance - from there, you choose other options on what to say. It's not the Mass Effect system where you chose two words and it makes the whole sentance for you, or at least it doesn't sound that way.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, but still overall optimistic.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Lurkar said:
It's not the Mass Effect system where you chose two words and it makes the whole sentance for you, or at least it doesn't sound that way.
But haven't they already said that you will choose only smilies, not even words?

Suchy

Arcane
Alpha Protocol’s over-the-shoulder chase-cam action does seem to be a step up from your average RPG.
meh

Combat will have you running and gunning, taking cover or sneaking about the place - but that’s not to say you won’t be able to build your character towards the hand-to-hand fisticuffs recently in vogue.
meh

honestly i think i'm expecting fallout 3 to be more fun...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Hamster said:
Lurkar said:
It's not the Mass Effect system where you chose two words and it makes the whole sentance for you, or at least it doesn't sound that way.
But haven't they already said that you will choose only smilies, not even words?
I've only read the Game Informer preview and now this one, and all they've said about it so far is that you choose a stance and from there choose options appropriate for that stance. They haven't told us a lot about it yet. They haven't said a thing about smilies, that's just the Codex poking fun at the game.

Personally, I hope Lurkar is right. It would actually be a good system if that's how it works.

Bond stance - suave dialog options

Bourne stance - 'no bullshit, serious business' dialog options

Bauer stance - EXTREME dialog options, collar grabbing

tunguska

Liturgist
I have no problem with codex skepticism, and with a title coming from any other developer other than Obsidian (aka. Team Torment) I would agree, but I wish some of you would just cut these guys some slack. I can't tell much from these previews. Obsidian aint gonna be making anything like Fallout 3 any time soon. Obsidian is not Bethesda and never will be. MOTB was released not too long ago. Most of these guys are on our side. I don't care how bad the previews sound if MCA is doing the writing. Marketing is always about "embrace and extend". If we give up on Obsidian then who do we have left?

Alright, I'm increasingly sceptical to the "superpowers", and a wee bit on edge when it comes to the "every dialogue is rewarding"- though I can't seem to find that exact quote. Crossing my fingers that it's Torment-rewarding and not Oblibbibon-rewarding.

Other than that, my penis is growing. Just to clarify, the system is just select the stance and watch what happens. I'm getting more exited by the minute reading about it. As I've argued before, I think it will prove to be an interesting mechanic. Now, for all the dorks who really go out of bounds to misinterpret me, I have to clarify that I don't think it's neither an improvement, supplement or even replacement for good old dialogue trees. It's an altogether different mechanic. If the game turns out to be an interactive spy-thriller with RPG-elements, so be it. I don't give a shit about it being a TRUE RPG or not, despite all of Obsidians efforts to tout it as one. As long as it's an entertaining game, which I really really think it's going to be, I'm a happy sport.

Also, what's wikipedias notability-rating on gamesradar, I don't ever think I've been there before, and they have the second preview? When are we going to get the Codex preview, hmm?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm with DP. somebody from the journalist team of this prestigious RPG Codex magazine must be sent to Obsidian to get his hands on a preview. we sucked their cock because of MotB after all.

or at least ask VD. he has the keys to MCA's heart.

I'm with DP.
icon_dance.gif

Noceur

Liturgist
I wonder how advanced the sneaking will be... Thief/Splinter Cell-style or more simple? How much sneak skill vs hide in in-game shadows will there be?
We really ought to send someone to Obsidian.

I've been wanting to sneak around with a silenced gun in an RPG since Deus Ex... VtM:B had some good sneak-entertainment, especially coupled with hacking which I really loved in that game (rather close to DX1, actually).

Yeah, and totaly not follow the videogamejourno's "rules of engagement" when it comes to previews. You could pretend to whore out, just to get the plane tickets, and then be all WHAM, SUCK IT DOWN, if you find out it sucks.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
However, one of the main contributors in look and tone was Syriana

I can't believe I read this. There seems to be no limit in Obsidian's retardness. They couldn't find a more pretentious and pathetic movie than this to pigeonhole themselves as pseudo-intellectuals (although this is evident already just by playing their games).

TrustNo1

Scholar
" Pretentious" and " pseudo-intellectuals" are my favorite words. Along with "decadent".

Krancor

Scholar
It's hard to believe they had the nerve to peg this as the spiritual successor to fallout and torment in their press release.

Just because it's Obsidian doesn't make this an RPG. It's less of an RPG than the GTA series. Why is this even being covered by the RPG codex at all?

Lumpy

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
to pigeonhole themselves as pseudo-intellectuals (although this is evident already just by playing their games).
Do elaborate, please.

Soulforged

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:

I can't believe I read this. There seems to be no limit in Obsidian's retardness. They couldn't find a more pretentious and pathetic movie than this to pigeonhole themselves as pseudo-intellectuals (although this is evident already just by playing their games).
Do you agree by any chance that the story of "Mask of the Betrayer" was pretentious and contrived?

Disconnected

Scholar
I'd really, really like if cRPG devs started doing phased top-down combat instead of all the pathetically limited real time FPS shit. It baffles me anyone would dump decision-free combat into a game that's all about decisions.

The influence thing sounds fucking fantastic, but I'm a bit worried the mission resolutions will be jammed down one's throat NWN2-style, and that their outcomes will have similar limited consequences.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
skyway said:
I'm with DP. somebody from the journalist team of this prestigious RPG Codex magazine must be sent to Obsidian to get his hands on a preview. we sucked their cock because of MotB after all.

You'll have to wait a while, regardless.

The Feral Kid said:

I can't believe I read this. They couldn't find a more pretentious and pathetic movie than this

I agree with the above (though not necessarily with the rest)

ricolikesrice

Arcane

hrm, looking worse and worse as more info gets revealed - though i admit it mostly boils down to personal preferences...... would have enjoyed a bond-like spy cRPG, i.e. not taking itself too seriously. all this references to jack baur, bourne and syriana however..... no thanks =/ screenshots dont look that hot either, pretty much have "generic" written all over them, from the main character to the locations.... it s missing that little something, hard to describe i guess, just my impression.

loved MOTB and have faith in obsidian.... but not really much in alpha protocol anymore.... bring on aliens cRPG info please .

TheLostOne

Savant
STFU about Syriana! It was the first movie ever made with the balls to speak the truth!

Finally a movie to wake Americans up and show them the conspiracy that's going on every day while they get fat at barbeques and watch pro-sports on their FOSSIL FUEL POWERED TVs!

Figures you unenlightened fucks would think this movie is pretentious. The TRUTH is, it just hits a little to close to home.

Squirm more, bitches.

fastpunk

Arbiter
TheLostOne said:
STFU about Syriana! It was the first movie ever made with the balls to speak the truth!

Finally a movie to wake Americans up and show them the conspiracy that's going on every day while they get fat at barbeques and watch pro-sports on their FOSSIL FUEL POWERED TVs!

Figures you unenlightened fucks would think this movie is pretentious. The TRUTH is, it just hits a little to close to home.

Squirm more, bitches.

+1

Also, to those who think Syriana is pretentious: Why do you believe that? Please, share!

TheLostOne

Savant
fastpunk said:
TheLostOne said:

Squirm more, bitches.

+1

Also, to those who think Syriana is pretentious: Why do you believe that? Please, share!

Ehm... Either my sarcasm detector is broken, or yours is.

fastpunk

Arbiter
TheLostOne said:
fastpunk said:
TheLostOne said:

Squirm more, bitches.

+1

Ehm... Either my sarcasm detector is broken, or yours is.

My bad then. I liked Syriana. All the self-interest and hunger for power were presented in a good, believable fashion. It might not tell anything we didn't know (eh, some don't...) but the movie didn't feel pretentious to me.

denizsi

Arcane
skyway said:
in the recent years slo-mo became more like a gift for retards who simply just can't hit that target which is 5 meters away from them.

That's good news! In 10 years, they will "invent" turn-based combat!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom