Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Alpha Protocol Design Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Adding to what janjetina said: I hate mouse-dex dependant minigames. If an *RPG skill* only leads to unlocking a minigame as in ME1, that is just WRONG. You might as well remove the skill completely and just leave the minigame in game as ME2 did it. The reasons why I didn't mind the ME2 minigames much (except planet scanning) were 1) they were pretty quickly solved 2) solving them was easy 3) solving them didn't involve mad mouse&keyboard skillz.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
If an *RPG skill* only leads to unlocking a minigame as in ME1, that is just WRONG.

The only game that did it right was System Shock 2, and only because the minigame in question didn't last for longer than 3 seconds.

Jora

Arcane
Games should follow the Return to Krondor model for lock picking and expand it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
janjetina said:
Says Merrian-Webster:
Main Entry: cin·e·mat·ic
Pronunciation: \ˌsi-nə-ˈma-tik\
Function: adjective
Date: 1916

1 : of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures <cinematic principles and techniques>
2 : filmed and presented as a motion picture <cinematic fantasies>
Context?

Game implies interactivity. Where is interactivity in that?
You have a fixed amount of resources (time/money/workforce). Will you spend them on gameplay or on "cinematic experience"?
First, in the gaming context cinematic does NOT mean non-interactive movie. It means as close to cinematic experience as possible [without losing interactivity]. Game aspects that are usually referred to as cinematic are combat and dialogue, and both require constant player's input.

In my opinion, the flashing mouse buttons worked well in Mass Effect 2. You watch what's happening on the screen and instead of being interrupted by a large dialogue screen with specific text options, you can press a button and your character will react accordingly. Even though it was just a mouse click I can't say that at any moment the action that followed took me by surprise. That's cinematic. Instead of reading and comparing text options, you react to what you see on the screen.

First person/third person games were always going for the different kind of immersion - immersion through graphics and cinematics (tracing runes with your mouse, trying to put you IN the game, going for realistic visuals and feelings that you're actually there, swinging your swords, dodging enemy's attacks, feeling the impact of a strike, etc). It's a different way, that's all.

Look at what Bloodlines did with the characters: facial animations, mannerism, voice-overs, etc. Tell me it was a waste of money.

Yes. A "cinematic game" is an oxymoron.
You sure like unsupported statements.

That's a little better, but it doesn't change the fact that a player will spend much less time thinking about the decisions and making them than watching the action unfold without his participation.
Do you play RTS games? Do you not make decisions there or do you helplessly watch the unfolding action?

Show me the error of my ways then. How are such simplistic choices, devoid of the nuances of the full sentence expression, not inferior to full sentence choices...
They are not inferior. They are different (which probably explains the "kill it with fire" reaction).

One can easily argue that the player who reads dialogue options, clicks on the best option, gets to the next screen with the NPC response and new lengthy dialogue options is not playing a game but reading it. Choose your own adventure books, basically. Are you absolutely certain that it's a 100% better way than watching an interactive movie?

The main flaw of full dialogue lines is that you get very specific lines that may or may not be exactly what you want to say. The keyword design, which, btw, have been around since the Ultima days, fixes this problem (but introduces new ones), thus being neither superior nor inferior, but a different choice. Like I said, it's a different type of immersion: watching the events and reacting vs reading and pondering.

I can't help but associate such a system (in light of modern technology) as pandering to the lowest common denominator, the people who consider any complete sentence "TLDR".
Ultima7-bg-exult.png

There are Stealth, Sabotage, and Technical Aptitude.
I know they exist, but are they effective, or do they only lead to player reflex dependent minigames?
You tell me. You are the one with a strong opinion.

Soulforged

Scholar
janjetina said:
Game implies interactivity. Where is interactivity in that?
You have a fixed amount of resources (time/money/workforce). Will you spend them on gameplay or on "cinematic experience"?
Again, what is a game and what is not a game is difficult to tell. But if you take it that the essential element of any game is interactivity between the player or players and the medium then:

Can you honestly say there's no interactivity in the game?

I believe you're exagerating a little bit, this is only the case for conversations and the cinematic is only pertaining to presetantion aspects, substantially you still possess full control on the flow of the conversation. Therefore: interactive dialog.

Would it make a difference for you if it was presented from an isometric perspective or from first person view?

Yes. A "cinematic game" is an oxymoron.
What's a cinematic game? Would you consider "Phantasmagoria" a cinematic game? Would that imply that any game with cinematic elements or presentation of those elements is a "cinematic game"?

If the answer is yes, then it's not an oxymoron, if it's no, then please do explain yourself.

Show me the error of my ways then. How are such simplistic choices, devoid of the nuances of the full sentence expression, not inferior to full sentence choices (except in that they can cover for potential writers' inability to express the intent, but Obsidian (and particularly Avellone's) games are well written, as far as computer games go)? I can't help but associate such a system (in light of modern technology) as pandering to the lowest common denominator, the people who consider any complete sentence "TLDR".
Of course they appeal to the lowest common denominator, as all comercial products do, that doesn't change the fact that the system can still be apealing to a variety of people.

As for the dialog system in itself, think of it this way: if you already have fully voiced and captioned dialog, then what will be the purpose of overexposing dialog pieces? There isn't any, and you're specially stretching it when you say that there could be a "potential writers' inability to express the intent" when it would be the same writers acting as guionist for the dialog, voiced or otherwise.

Vault Dweller

Developer
There are plenty of examples. Most old classics had keyword-based dialogue systems: Daggerfall, Realms of Arkania, Wizardry, Ultima, etc.

Sannom

Augur
janjetina said:
That's a little better, but it doesn't change the fact that a player will spend much less time thinking about the decisions and making them than watching the action unfold without his participation.

Well, that's linked to the timer, not the fact that each conversation subject or attitude is summed up into one to three words. And of course, the three-words max summarization is also due to the timer. Which is there for entirely different reasons.
In games where your character really "speaks" (not Morrowind, then) and is not voiced, you need to see what your character says, and it's easier to show it before the dialogue, in the choices.

janjetina said:
Show me the error of my ways then. How are such simplistic choices, devoid of the nuances of the full sentence expression, not inferior to full sentence choices?

Well, because that system was used successfully in many other games, not all pertaining to the RPG category. I played Morrowind that used a similar system, and I also saw it in the first Broken Sword game. Alright, the devil/angel choice when facing the Assassin on top of that cliff was really annoying and unclear, but that's the only instance in the whole game.

janjetina said:
I know they exist, but are they effective, or do they only lead to player reflex dependent minigames?

According to some previews (the ones from the Prague event), they tend to make the mini-games a lot easier (as in, trying the mini-games with no skill is a guaranteed recipe for failure), bypassing them completely for the easiest "obstacles". I think it has the same thought process than the fighting : throw some randomness into player skills, asking mad skills or some kind super-computer-powered brain to perform any task without the corresponding character-skill.

janjetina said:
That is a great feature and should be employed in RPGs with classic dialogue system. Dialogue trees should be pruned and no takebacks or mutually exclusive choices should be allowed.

Are take-backs so common in other RPGs, at least for the important and non-expository dialogues? The main difference in AP seems to be that when you choose a subject among two choices, you can't go back on the other ones. The same for choosing an attitude, too often in other RPGs have I seen the possibility to choose a stance, see that it doesn't work, and then came back with a "better" stance.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Chris Parker: The biggest problem we ran into was trying to balance the action game and maintain the things we think are important in RPGs. For example, you can't have a high action shooter with bad weapon mechanics - so when you are figuring out how you want your RPG system to work, you need to work against some of the typical RPG clichés like having your ability to-hit determined by skill. Instead you need to embrace all the great things about the first or third person shooter, and then figure out how to make your RPG without screwing those things up.
Looks like Chris Parker doesn't know what's going on in his own fucking game where shooting is still influenced by console unlockables +10 to some shit as can clearly be seen from videos (especially circle of doom changing size). And especially the absolutely retarded "target for 5 secs to crit" shit.

we were okay with making the player actually aim, shoot, and take cover via action controls and not a tactical menu were you select attack or defend
And in RPGs you don't aim at enemies/manoeuver/take cover - you just select ultratactical options "attack" or "defend" and your character does everything for you. Yet it's AP that has a dedicated button that makes your character take cover by glueing it to specially placed stone bricks to play some of that popamole

From there, we knew we wanted the game to be theoretically beatable if you never used any RPG skills but were just ridiculously good at action gaming - not because we wanted the player to ignore the cool abilities we offer, but because giving the player the choice to put points anywhere means we can't make progression contingent on any one ability - so we were okay with skills you didn't invest in getting less useful vs. enemies rising in power as the game goes on - there's just never any obstacle that requires any one certain skill.
No Skyway - when they said that skills don't matter they didn't mean that, you just like to bitch! AP is gunna b a troo rpg!!!

but because giving the player the choice to put points anywhere means we can't make progression contingent on any one ability
Bahaha lazy talentless fucks. Fallout rape from Obsidian will be something. Because Fallout has progression tied to abilities, like whole chunks of content being locked away from your character if it sucked at something.

AP is everything that is wrong with the neverending stream of console shooters these days.

Sannom

Augur
MetalCraze said:
Looks like Chris Parker doesn't know what's going on in his own fucking game where shooting is still influenced by console unlockables +10 to some shit as can clearly be seen from videos (especially circle of doom changing size). And especially the absolutely retarded "target for 5 secs to crit" shit.

He does say they needed to find a way to put "RPG" in the basics of the TPS. That shows in the game.

MetalCraze said:
And in RPGs you don't aim at enemies/manoeuver/take cover - you just select ultratactical options "attack" or "defend" and your character does everything for you.

That's how most "real-time" RPGs function, yes. Order to attack or hold position, with the occasional activated ability/spell thrown in. Probably why fighters and rogues were so boring to play in Baldur's Gate 2 and Torment. No wait, that last one was designed only for the mage class in mind, my bad.

MetalCraze said:
Bahaha lazy talentless fucks. Fallout rape from Obsidian will be something. Because Fallout has progression tied to abilities, like whole chunks of content being locked away from your character if it sucked at something.

Well, AP does look you completely from some content, but not from skills but from some of the choices you make. Don't expect to ever meet Albatross if you kill Sis. Same with Sie.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
I'll recapitulate:
1) Basically remove combat skills and replace them with player skill so that the game <i>is beatable if you never used any RPG skills</i>. This will net you proper <s>shooter</s> modern RPG combat.
2) Remove social skills as well, because they're dumb in the first place and don't make for <i>much of a choice</i>.
3) Add a few *RPG skills* like Technical Aptitude and Sabotage, which actually (at least I presume it) unlock Minigames that again require player skill.
4) Add a couple of Extreme Skillz for the lulz, like an Invisibility spell for proper *stealth gameplay* or a skill like Biotic Charge in ME2 which makes for fun moments.
5) Don't forget the most important RPG elements: collargrabbing dialogues and emotionally engaging romances.
There you have it: a modern RPG.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com">ITS</A>

I agree, Deus Ex, Thief and SS2 sucked ass didn't they :roll:

Damn SS2 didn't have a SINGLE dialogue skill, neither did Deux Ex or thief? How could they POSSIBLY be good games? Fuck, you didn't even have a stealth skil in Deus Ex! What a shit game that must have been!

[sarcasm off]

Their points of comparison so far have been SS2, Deus Ex and Thief - NOT Fallout and PS:T. It's a little retarded to rip on AP for not having features that SS2, Deus Ex and so on lacked as well.

What next, criticise Starcraft 2 because it lacks turn-based combat and exp/skills?

The biggest problem with these points of criticism is that they are deflecting attention away from the very real issues that could plague that genre. For example, it has NEVER benefited from 3rd-person viewpoint. Sure, Hitman series used 3rd-person for stealth cheese, but in the hybrid games of SS2 and Deus Ex a 3rd person camera just kills the immersion - give me lean ability and skills to augment stealth anyday over 3rd-person viewpoint cheese. In fact, I'd almost say scrap stealth-skills ala Deus Ex - just give some upgrades that help 'augment' stealth so you can still switch and change for different scenarios, with rough 'builds' making some more viable than others. Eg in Deus Ex it was a strength that I could always 'stealth' around, but it was my build that determined whether that stealthing was useful for accessing a computer terminal, or a sniping/GEP spoit, or whether it was of only marginal use before opening up with run+gun.

Secondly, 3rd-person viewpoints tend to lend themselves to linear corridor gameplay that completely fucks hybrid gameplay. You need the interactivity of 1stperson maps - the ability to stack and climb boxes, smash and enter windows etc.There's no reason why you CAN'T do thta from a 3rd person view, but the gameplay conventions of the over-the-shoulder shooter genre seem to preclude it. See, for example, Dead Space (and I liked that game) - you couldn't jump even the lowliest pipe, let alone stack shelves or knock things over for cover, or jump balconeys. In that genre it's an established and expected feature of the gameplay: tension is created by enemies having full access to all parts of the corridor map. while the player is limited by 3cm-high pipes in his way.

That kind of corridor-play makes proper stealth-play impossible as well, and for much the same reasons,

Yes, all of that CAN be overcome while retaining a 3rdperson viewpoint. But I am yet to see any footage that shows whether it will or won't.

And that's what I'd like to see Codex interviewers and smartasses pulling info about. Not about whether a game that claims to be a Deus Ex / Thief / SS2 genre game fails to be a FO/PS:T game instead. Otherwise we may as well start spamming the Blizzard forums complaining that SC2 isn't a crpg either.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sannom said:
He does say they needed to find a way to put "RPG" in the basics of the TPS. That shows in the game.
No he said they wanted to move away from these cliches without ruining shooter part. What shows in the game is the opposite. There is nothing worse for a shooter than bullets flying at silly trajectories even though you aim directly at an enemy.

That's how most "real-time" RPGs function, yes. Order to attack or hold position, with the occasional activated ability/spell thrown in. Probably why fighters and rogues were so boring to play in Baldur's Gate 2 and Torment. No wait, that last one was designed only for the mage class in mind, my bad.
Except BG2 and Torment are not "real time" durr hurr
Yet you still need to move your units into a position there as well as keep some kind of formation when it comes to BG2. Way more fun than "action" a la sitting behind a box and waiting while dumb AI will pop its head from behind its own box.

Well, AP does look you completely from some content, but not from skills but from some of the choices you make. Don't expect to ever meet Albatross if you kill Sis. Same with Sie.
So? Are we talking about the ability to choose whether you want to fuck a virtual pussy or not from obviously written options? I take it this is the most important part in a game
What if I don't care about neverending cutscenes but want to actually play a game?

Azrael the cat said:
Damn SS2 didn't have a SINGLE dialogue skill, neither did Deux Ex or thief? How could they POSSIBLY be good games? Fuck, you didn't even have a stealth skil in Deus Ex! What a shit game that must have been!
Indeed. SS2 and DX also had all other skills just for show, they never influenced anything - as one of the AP devs clearly stated in this very interview when it comes to AP. Great to know that instead of moving forward lazy tards will just clone 11 years old games and even then cut out stuff making the game even more de-evolved.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Vault Dweller said:
First, in the gaming context cinematic does NOT mean non-interactive movie. It means as close to cinematic experience as possible [without losing interactivity]. Game aspects that are usually referred to as cinematic are combat and dialogue, and both require constant player's input.

That's what I'd like it to mean, but counterexamples like Heavy Rain or ancient Psychic Detective (and, to take less extreme, but more jarring example, as it is declaratively a RPG, Mass Effect) convince me otherwise.

In my opinion, the flashing mouse buttons worked well in Mass Effect 2. You watch what's happening on the screen and instead of being interrupted by a large dialogue screen with specific text options, you can press a button and your character will react accordingly. Even though it was just a mouse click I can't say that at any moment the action that followed took me by surprise. That's cinematic. Instead of reading and comparing text options, you react to what you see on the screen.

I consider reading an approach where more cerebral activity is involved, and more cerebral activity is a good thing. Reading and interpreting well written sentences, weighing nuances in expression and choosing seems more natural. At least you have more control of what your character will say. I haven't played Mass Effect 2, so I can't comment on whether they have managed to express the intent of a character well.

First person/third person games were always going for the different kind of immersion - immersion through graphics and cinematics (tracing runes with your mouse, trying to put you IN the game, going for realistic visuals and feelings that you're actually there, swinging your swords, dodging enemy's attacks, feeling the impact of a strike, etc). It's a different way, that's all.

Look at what Bloodlines did with the characters: facial animations, mannerism, voice-overs, etc. Tell me it was a waste of money.

Attempting to capture natural interaction (which I consider requirement for immersion) in these aspects, while settling for simplistic interaction in a dialogue does not seem a smart strategy (see: Oblivion, which failed even in those aspects that were supposed to be its forte).
Bloodlines had all the elements you mentioned AND well written dialogue options, expressed as complete sentences. Without the latter, I wouldn't be able to overlook its flaws and consider it a good game. If AP was a game with "cinematic elements" (not limited to visual elements, sound is extremely important element of the atmosphere and was superb in Bloodlines) similar to Bloodlines, with a similar character system, similar XP gain system and similar dialogue system (I don't doubt level of writing, since Avellone is involved), I would praise it instead of scorning it.

Do you play RTS games? Do you not make decisions there or do you helplessly watch the unfolding action?

I used to play them years ago. I don't any more (I think Starcraft was last RTS I've played). I find their level of complexity and interactivity inferior to TBS. They bore me.

They are not inferior. They are different (which probably explains the "kill it with fire" reaction).

Aren't they? Do you type or say a list of keywords when talking to another person, or do you utter complete sentences? One is natural reaction, and another is simplification, due to certain constraints.

One can easily argue that the player who reads dialogue options, clicks on the best option, gets to the next screen with the NPC response and new lengthy dialogue options is not playing a game but reading it. Choose your own adventure books, basically. Are you absolutely certain that it's a 100% better way than watching an interactive movie?

You might argue that if you assume that a game contains nothing but dialogue which, as we know, is not true (but even in that extreme case I would say that any choose your adventure book is better than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MeADQaKSNM)

Always having the best option in a dialogue is not a good thing, but that's another topic.
Dialogue options should be well written, expressing different attitudes, emotions and choices, and other party should react accordingly, choices should have different consequences (ideally there should be no optimal choice), delayed consequences should be implemented, etc. Instead of choosing between "suave", "aggressive", etc., corresponding dialogue options should be available and the player should think about which tone to take. If the options are well written, and the player is literate, he will think about which approach is appropriate for a situation and which sentence expresses that approach. In AP style dialogue, you think about the first, but are hand held through the second, so there is necessarily less (re)activity involved. Not directly related, but explicit [Skill] options in a dialogue represent a different form of hand holding and should be avoided - well written options should enable the player to know when he is using a skill in a dialogue.

The main flaw of full dialogue lines is that you get very specific lines that may or may not be exactly what you want to say.

That's not a flaw in the system, but a flaw in the interpretation. Well written sentences should clearly express subject (in a broader sense, it may be an action, an object, an action on an object, etc.) and attitude (tone). All relevant and applicable combinations should be expressed as sentences and if they are and the writing is good, there is no reason to complain.

The problem with AP or ME system is that the PC still utters a complete sentence hyperlinked by the chosen keyword, so it doesn't avoid this potential flaw - it still hinges on good writing just like full dialogue trees.

The keyword design, which, btw, have been around since the Ultima days, fixes this problem (but introduces new ones), thus being neither superior nor inferior, but a different choice. Like I said, it's a different type of immersion: watching the events and reacting vs reading and pondering.

See my preceding paragraph. AP keyword system is not Ultima IV keyword system. In Ultima IV you had to type in keywords and if the keywords matched their data, NPCs would respond with information. The fact that you had to be attentive and write down things to use in later dialogues was a huge part of the charm of such a system. On the other hand, dialogue didn't seem natural and that the NPCs were a little more than information dispensers, which is a serious flaw, when compared to dialogue system in, e.g. Fallout, but in 1988 there was no alternative (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong). Unlike Ultima IV, Ultima VII showed the player keywords in advance - which is just a small step away from full dialogue trees. Nothing of value would be lost if the keywords in Ultima VII were replaced by full sentences formed around those keywords, and natural flow of dialogue would be gained (I assume competent writing).

Ultima7-bg-exult.png

That's why I mentioned "in the light of current technology". I should have mentioned the budget - hiring a competent writer or a team of writers shouldn't be a problem for mainstream developers. Indie developers, whose games focus on combat and exploration wouldn't be faulted for going along with a keyword system.

I see 1 keyword - 1 subject relation as a major flaw of a keyword system. I'd prefer a keyword system akin to the way a sentence is formed, with a predicate (an action), a subject (who does the action), an object (which the action is done upon) and a tone to be available for choice in a keyword system (it is not necessary to choose all four every time and nonsense choices should mark PC as a lunatic). Still, I'd prefer a full sentence approach along these lines, but there could be to many possible combinations to make it feasible. I haven't mentioned stats, skills and previous experience affecting available dialogue options, but I assume that implicitly.

You tell me. You are the one with a strong opinion.

I read somewhere on the Codex (might be this topic) that they lead to minigames. If their implementation is similar to the implementation of skills in Ass Effect, they are, in my opinion, not effective. I hope for the best, but expect the worst.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's not a flaw in the system, but a flaw in the interpretation. Well written sentences should clearly express subject (in a broader sense, it may be an action, an object, an action on an object, etc.) and attitude (tone). All relevant and applicable combinations should be expressed as sentences and if they are and the writing is good, there is no reason to complain.

The problem with AP or ME system is that the PC still utters a complete sentence hyperlinked by the chosen keyword, so it doesn't avoid this potential flaw - it still hinges on good writing just like full dialogue trees.

Yeah, what the hell is this stupidity?

Choosing a dialog line doesn't give you what you want to say, but choosing a stance which leads to a dialog line is different? What the hell?

Oh yeah, I think this is called dumbing down. We can't have players not be sure of the outcome of their actions. What if they are retarded and chose a dialog option that makes the NPC attack them and they didn't want that? TERRIBLE TERRIBLE WE MUST STOIP IT!!!

Sannom

Augur
MetalCraze said:
Except BG2 and Torment are not "real time" durr hurr
Yet you still need to move your units into a position there as well as keep some kind of formation when it comes to BG2. Way more fun than "action" a la sitting behind a box and waiting while dumb AI will pop its head from behind its own box.

Oh, sorry : they are turn-based RPGs of the "no-time-freezing-at-every-action" variety.
BG2 : heavy hitters on the front line, mages and archers on the back.
AP : weak and fragile, use stealth and cover. Strong and tough, go all out.
I clearly don't see that much of a difference.

MetalCraze said:
So? Are we talking about the ability to choose whether you want to fuck a virtual pussy or not from obviously written options? I take it this is the most important part in a game.

No. About meeting and interacting with characters based on your choices. Be it that you kill or torture their teenage, mute bodyguard in cold blood, or that your methods on the ground are so violent and bloody that they refuse to deal with you even before meeting you.

janjetina said:
I consider reading an approach where more cerebral activity is involved, and more cerebral activity is a good thing. Reading and interpreting well written sentences, weighing nuances in expression and choosing seems more natural.

Full phrases doesn't give much room to interpretation, especially when they come from skills : they are the obviously good choice, go for it! A system like AP makes you think about who the person in front of you is, what she might like/dislike, the context in which you talk to her, and from all this you can chose the stance of conversation choice that seems the most fitting with your objectives. Like in the Grigori example from while back : be nice, or at least professional with him, and he might talk about you to the person you asked about. Then perhaps the same guy will simply let you see him instead of asking to his gards to drive you off.

janjetina said:
similar XP gain system [than bloodlines]

How was XP gain managed in Bloodlines? I could answer to that question at least, if you really are not aware of how it works in AP.

janjetina said:
Instead of choosing between "suave", "aggressive", etc., corresponding dialogue options should be available and the player should think about which tone to take. If the options are well written, and the player is literate, he will think about which approach is appropriate for a situation and which sentence expresses that approach. In AP style dialogue, you think about the first, but are hand held through the second, so there is necessarily less (re)activity involved. Not directly related, but explicit [Skill] options in a dialogue represent a different form of hand holding and should be avoided - well written options should enable the player to know when he is using a skill in a dialogue.

You do realize that while the PR stuff still mentions those three styles of answer because they reprensent the general canvas, we haven't seen any of those for a long time, right? Choices express subjects of conversation and tones in a very more clear way and more diverse words. And contrary to the little I've seen of Mass Effect 2, the answer are what you expect.
I don't understand your second point, or more precisely, if you're comparing it to something else. Because whatever the game, they never was an extensive choice of subjects, phrasing and tone for any conversation.
As for the skills, either you indicate the skill check or go the New Vegas route and have your character say something so stupid you immediately know it is not a good idea, I don't see the difference.

janjetina said:
I read somewhere on the Codex (might be this topic) that they lead to minigames.

I did answer that : mini-games of varying difficulty, and in some cases, they are completely bypassed by the skill when the level of the challenge is too low. The same amount of randomness met in other RPGs, except in a more "active" form.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
There are plenty of examples. Most old classics had keyword-based dialogue systems: Daggerfall, Realms of Arkania, Wizardry, Ultima, etc.

So you're really comparing keyword systems with the stances one?

Christ.

MetalCraze said:
Indeed. SS2 and DX also had all other skills just for show, they never influenced anything - as one of the AP devs clearly stated in this very interview when it comes to AP. Great to know that instead of moving forward lazy tards will just clone 11 years old games and even then cut out stuff making the game even more de-evolved.

I'd be in gaming HEAVEN if developers en masse started cloning the games of 11 years ago, by which I mean pumping out non-dumbed-down games of the SS2, Deus Ex and Thief variety (11 years ago...lets through in Fallout and PS:T while we're at it, maybe some Azrael's Tear, some Under a Blood Red Sky, Half-life. Starcraft) with just some updated graphics and absolutely no innovations to gameplay.

I'd take that in a fucking second. I take that even if it meant that there could never be ANY gameplay innovation for the next 30 years. Fuck, for the rest of my lifetime - no that's not enough - I want my kids to have good games....

How about this: developers get to pump out the style of games they used to 11 years ago until my bloodline and DNA disappears from the planet. By that time they'll have created a new form of entertainment so by the time things devolve back to Halo people can find PS:T-equivalents on other entertainment systems.

And I'm pretty sure everyone on the codex would do the same - yes, even you, as much as those 11yr old games didn't score as high on your infamous ratings list as some of your favourites:)

Heck, I'd even donate a testicle for that!

Heck, I'm sure that almost ALL the codexers would donate if collecting enough testicles meant that world of endless 1998-2001-style games would actually happen. ScottishMartialArts would give TWO!. Heck, I'm pretty sure Black Cat would find a way to drug EV and donate HIS! I'm sure that Paula Tomlinson (aka 'the nazi fuck') could come up with 30 baskets of them, with photographs, multiple eye-witnesses, meticulous documentation of how each was removed, and then still deny that they ever existed. Hell, going by Gaider's and Avellone's comments, you could basically do a tray around Bioware and Obsidian. Andyman's horse monstrosities count for double. Annie and Brian from Double-Bear would donate one each (though if your boyfriend REALLY loved you Annie, he'd donate for the cause as well...) And I'm sure that it would be the least degrading thing that Herve Cain's done all year.

Now we just need one of 3 things to happen:
(1) A magical means of converting said testicles into MetalCraze/Skyway's 'Threat';
(2) A developer, publisher and staff who are all happy to get paid in testicles; or
(3) A world collapse in the supply of testicles, leading to a skyrocketing in our newly floated public company that trades in testicles (for...um...ancient herbal recipes and so on...)

The first 2 are clearly insane.

But the gaming industry is not going to return to its heyday by the free market alone.

That means...we CREATE option 3 - you see a testicle, chop it off. Spread the word and collect the love. Any testicle, lounging around on the beach through those y-front bathers, thinking it's so crashhot - OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!!!

And for those of you who have lovers with testicles. Especially those who share a bed with them. Try NOT to think of them with only one testicle. No, I said try NOT to think of them with only one testicle. DAMN IT, you did it AGAIN!! Try NOT to think of that one singular testicle, pulling the weight of the penis oh so slightly to the right or left. Just don't think of it. Not for a second. Don't think of it.

And REALLY don't think of it when you try to sleep tonight. Don't let your mind drift until you suddenly remember reading this inane post earlier on. Then DON'T think of him with just the one testicle. Really don't, not when you're closing your eyes and just flashing random images through your head. Don't let that image keep flashing in. Don't let it keep returning, no matter how much you try to focus on other things. Really, just don't.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sannom said:
Full phrases doesn't give much room to interpretation, especially when they come from skills : they are the obviously good choice, go for it!

As I've said, having "the best" choice and/or explicit [skill] options is a bad / lazy design. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but each particular approach should entail certain delayed consequences. For example, you may encounter a character in possession of certain documents. You have a few options how to proceed - threaten him with violence, exploit his weakness that you found out about during the course of the game (e.g. by blackmailing him), bribe him, kill him, etc. Some (not all) options should yield immediate positive outcome, however, each one should have delayed consequences as well. In this way a player cannot be certain (without replaying the game or consulting a walkthrough) which option is optimal (if there is one). All these options can be represented by keywords, by icons, or by complete sentences. Underlying system is the same, but the interface differs. I prefer the natural interface - complete sentences (I admit that there are dialogue situations where time for talk is over and it's time to take an action, however this represents special situations which only some interactions should reduce to).

A system like AP makes you think about who the person in front of you is, what she might like/dislike, the context in which you talk to her, and from all this you can chose the stance of conversation choice that seems the most fitting with your objectives. Like in the Grigori example from while back : be nice, or at least professional with him, and he might talk about you to the person you asked about. Then perhaps the same guy will simply let you see him instead of asking to his gards to drive you off.

But you can achieve that with complete sentences, expressing corresponding attitudes as well (your character will utter a complete sentence anyway).

How was XP gain managed in Bloodlines? I could answer to that question at least, if you really are not aware of how it works in AP.

It was quest related and there was no XP per kill.

You do realize that while the PR stuff still mentions those three styles of answer because they reprensent the general canvas, we haven't seen any of those for a long time, right? Choices express subjects of conversation and tones in a very more clear way and more diverse words. And contrary to the little I've seen of Mass Effect 2, the answer are what you expect.

Yes, I realize that there are more attitudes and more keywords present and they are here just an example, as they are easy to remember. What I mean to say is that any type of attitude that can be described as a single adjective can be expressed in a full sentence as well (in this case, with nothing but gain, as the PC will utter the complete sentence anyway).

I don't understand your second point, or more precisely, if you're comparing it to something else. Because whatever the game, they never was an extensive choice of subjects, phrasing and tone for any conversation.

My second point is: thinking about which topic to bring up and which attitude to employ + thinking about which expression expresses that attitude > thinking about which topic to bring up and which attitude to employ only.

It doesn't matter if there was or wasn't such a game, though PS:T was quite good in expressing attitude of TNO. It matters that it can be, as neither technology nor budget restrictions impede it. Dialogue trees + stat, skill and (past and present) choice based pruning + good writing is all that is needed.

As for the skills, either you indicate the skill check or go the New Vegas route and have your character say something so stupid you immediately know it is not a good idea, I don't see the difference.

That's bad writing and bad design. Skill use option shouldn't always lead to the best outcome. A player with high medical skill may notice symptoms of a certain disease in a person he is holding a conversation with. Should he try to use that by bringing up the subject directly? Indirectly? Or shouldn't he use it at all right now (though that fact becomes a part of PC's knowledge base, so it can be used in a conversation with someone else, PC could spread a rumor, inform the tabloids, etc,) ? He should use his in-game knowledge to determine that, as each choice should have consequences, which are not necessarily positive. In my first example, a PC can attempt to create a diversion while conversing with a guy possessing coveted documents and use his stealing skill to swipe the documents. But what will happen later in the game when the NPC finds out the documents are missing?

Vault Dweller

Developer
FeelTheRads said:
Vault Dweller said:

So you're really comparing keyword systems with the stances one?

Christ.
Reading comprehension is teh hard? It's a keyword system with stances, which is no different than the Daggerfall keyword system with tones.

When you discuss topics, objectives, things you learn, etc you use keywords, when you want to spice things up you use stances.

Christ.

Edit:

df01bz7.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not all mentioned had stances. And Alpha Protocol has ONLY stances. So your point, again?

The stances, when they appeared, affected whether you obtained the desired information or not. It was clearly not a dumbed down CYOA book like Alpha Protocol which is just a Biowarian game with the 3 dialog options turned into stances because whatever way you look at it, there is no essential difference between the two.

Vault Dweller

Developer
FeelTheRads said:
And Alpha Protocol has ONLY stances. So your point, again?
ONLY stances, you said?

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article ... 8_640w.jpg

It was clearly not a dumbed down CYOA book like Alpha Protocol which is just a Biowarian game with the 3 dialog options turned into stances...
How about actually reading something about the game and looking at screenshots instead of forming your opinion based on something you've heard on the Codex?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh yeah, I'm sorry, two stances and two keywords. Can you combine them? Like if I quickly press two buttons at once can I ask about the virus while pulling out my gun? No?

All Alpha Protocol has are "push the story forwards" buttons. There is nothing of the information gathering from the keyword systems (after all the options you'll have will be tied to the person you're talking to) nor the skill uses from the games that actually use skills to affect the conversation. What you choose will take through the 2-3 paths the developers created and that's it. That is if there will be that many paths, because most likely often the options will lead to the same thing.

Again, tell me how is it different from the "OK, No, Goodbye" Bioware system? Besides being more dumbed down than that.

And for fucks sake, how is it original in any way?

Because Avellone said that "if you see" a speech skill choice than it's not a choice but if you choose a keyword/stance/whateverthefuckyouwant to call it then it's a choice. Yeah, that makes sense. I don't know, but I remember Fallout had different dialog options that could have also been replaced with stances if you wanted. The difference, and pay attention here, was that sometimes skills affected the outcome. You know, like it should in an RPG? And even when they were not, how is it better to have keywords instead of lines of dialog?

I wonder if this new imbecilic trend of cinematic gaming will die like the FMV games died when people will realize they're paying $50 for a fucking movie.

kris

Arcane
Dialogue in RPGs have long been harboured by the problem as of how some alternatives always being the good ones and others the bad and those things having been clear. Or as in Bioware were all alternatives are the same all to many times.

This system seems interesting because they seem to aim for reactivity as in how different approaches fits different people. It is in my opinion much better than "choose the smart alternative". I find it strange that people can claim this has less interactivity since you really need to have more knowledge to be succesful if they made it as advertised.

But one thing, I'd like them to add speech skills too, to put another factor in it. That way you must both weight your skill and how you think they will react to your approach.

In the end judgement will come down to how well written the dialogue is to begin with.

Soulforged

Scholar
FeelTheRads said:
Again, tell me how is it different from the "OK, No, Goodbye" Bioware system? Besides being more dumbed down than that.
So, he proves you wrong, you describe the system as something different with your own words, and you're still asking why is it different?

It isn't more "dumbed" down, if they achieve what they intend then:
1- You'll need to do the necessary investigation and information gathering before you can "move the story forward" as you say. So you can't rely on simply talking your way out of any situation, as it currently works on most RPGs I know (for example convincing that drug inventor on Fallout 2, don't remember his name, that a cure for his drug is possible simply because you passed from science % 99 to science % 100, and have few more points in intelligence).
2- You'll need to know how to act with a specific individual, not just press any button and hope everything solves itself.

And for fucks sake, how is it original in any way?
Not saying that it's something good, but have you seen timed dialog before? Or even the fact that you've to actually gather information before you can persuade, intimidate, blackmail, someone? I've seen some examples on Vampire: Bloodlines, but not much more.

Because Avellone said that "if you see" a speech skill choice than it's not a choice but if you choose a keyword/stance/whateverthefuckyouwant to call it then it's a choice. Yeah, that makes sense. I don't know, but I remember Fallout had different dialog options that could have also been replaced with stances if you wanted. The difference, and pay attention here, was that sometimes skills affected the outcome. You know, like it should in an RPG? And even when they were not, how is it better to have keywords instead of lines of dialog?
The question here is not if more lines of dialog make it better or not, though adding written lines for the sake of it is unnecessary work and over-exposition to what can simply be heard or read after you choose a general topic. The fact that you only have stances or topics to choose from doesn't tell you which is the right option unless you have been paying attention to what has transpired before, unless they go the Mass Effect way and paint the "right" option in some other color, which will be silly considering that there's supposedly no "right" option and there isn't technically speaking persuasion or intimidation.
I wonder if this new imbecilic trend of cinematic gaming will die like the FMV games died when people will realize they're paying $50 for a fucking movie.
Sorry, not a movie, and calling it a movie is as imbecilic as calling this game a classic role playing game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom