Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Centauri - the darkest, most disturbing game ever?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Anyone here remember the novellas that Firaxis made in regards to SMAC? "Journey" and "Arrival"?

I still have them here on my hard drive, and from what I recall from reading it more than a decade ago, some of the "leaders" don't even survive long enough to see the planet, only their followers do. Santiago, for example.

What?? I've downloaded them ages ago but never read them. It's time for moar reading I guess...

Post a summary for the rest of us when you do. :3

You mean in a setting where humans are harnessing synthetic blackholes for energy? Being defeated by fungus? Shocking!

It's not as if they could come up with a terraforming anti-fungal virus or anything, right?

Well, we're about to get our asses handed to us by f****** bacteria due to increasing resistance to anti-biotics. Fungii are way more resilient than bacteria and share its ability to rapidly develop resistance.

Silva

Arcane
And the fungii in this case are bio-engineered by a god-like mind-collective with thousand times humanity´s age.

So no, it shoudnt be easy to wipe-out these fungii.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
53.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
^

That still doesn't destroy the entire planet, even though the name might suggest so. :P

Silva

Arcane
A more plausible way would be making the Gaian bitch to subvert/attack the Planet consciousness through mindfuck-empathy-hacks - get a huge number of her kickass Empath bitches and create the psychic equivalent of a Planet Buster, then release it on the Planet bitch neural net.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks!

fake edit: Ok, on a quick look it looks to me the Yitzi patch just corrects bugs ? If thats the case then Kyrub is still worth it because the AI optimization, no ?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So while I was searching for some wiki entries on the new patches, I also saw that it's apparently a thing for people to mod in new factions. Little did I know...

Androgyn.png

So. My main creation, my oldest faction, finally complete after a year of hard work. (I forgot the sound file home, so I'll send tomorrow :)

The Androgynous Community

A society that belives that evolution can be "speeded" artificially. Their main goal is creation of a totally genderless society... where all people would be hermaphrodites. And... that's basically it. The txt file has some more information on the inspiration for the faction. All graphics are drawn by color pencils. Rip from that :)

Awaiting your ansver,
Sys

:what:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Eh, not really getting the Meier hate. From what I understand, Sid Meier is a pretty wicked programmer and obviously a great game designer. He hasn't been the "lead designer" on a game in years but I don't really think he's been all hands-off or Molyneaux-ing at Micropose/Firaxis. Brian Reynolds was obviously a huge boon for his companies, though.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You mean in a setting where humans are harnessing synthetic blackholes for energy? Being defeated by fungus? Shocking!

It's not as if they could come up with a terraforming anti-fungal virus or anything, right?

Well, we're about to get our asses handed to us by f****** bacteria due to increasing resistance to anti-biotics. Fungii are way more resilient than bacteria and share its ability to rapidly develop resistance.
I'm sure that by the end of Alpha Centauri, the human factions have enough destructive technology that they could scour the planet of fungus, but doing that without scouring the humans as well would be nearly impossible, seeing how the fungus is pretty much everywhere.

Johannes

Arcane
Making a colony ship or few, to send out again into somewhere else, shouldn't pose too huge problems though for the human civ at that point. Nuke the rival factions and fungus from orbit for even greater justice.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The fungus is in the soil crust and may even reach the mantle.
L2read the game fiction of the transcendence victory

butthurt detected; couldn't kill the planet

Borelli

Arcane
So while I was searching for some wiki entries on the new patches, I also saw that it's apparently a thing for people to mod in new factions. Little did I know...
Androgyn.png

So. My main creation, my oldest faction, finally complete after a year of hard work. (I forgot the sound file home, so I'll send tomorrow :)

The Androgynous Community

A society that belives that evolution can be "speeded" artificially. Their main goal is creation of a totally genderless society... where all people would be hermaphrodites. And... that's basically it. The txt file has some more information on the inspiration for the faction. All graphics are drawn by color pencils. Rip from that :)

Awaiting your ansver,
Sys

:what:
What would their social engineering stats be?
+2 growth - twice the amount of "women"
+1 research - strong experience with forced evolution and genetics
-2 morale - decadent and tolerant
-1 police - same as above

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Ive read the real genius behind Smac was Bryan Reynolds, which had a degree on philosophy and decided to put it to use. Sid only served as a chief suit or something (oh, this is cool/nah, this is not).
It's well known that Sid did fuck all on Alpha Centauri, (IIRC he was making his Gettysburg game at the time), it's Bryan Reynold's baby.

Yes, Sid is too popamole to have thought of it.
Brian Reynolds is a videogame designer who now designs online social games (e.g. on Facebook).

Mighty have fallen too hard.:negative:

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Ive read the real genius behind Smac was Bryan Reynolds, which had a degree on philosophy and decided to put it to use. Sid only served as a chief suit or something (oh, this is cool/nah, this is not).
It's well known that Sid did fuck all on Alpha Centauri, (IIRC he was making his Gettysburg game at the time), it's Bryan Reynold's baby.

Yes, Sid is too popamole to have thought of it.
Brian Reynolds is a videogame designer who now designs online social games (e.g. on Facebook).

Mighty have fallen too hard.:negative:

Reynolds led the development of FrontierVille on Facebook.

Reynolds led the development of CityVille 2 on Facebook.

:negative:

Dark and disturbing indeed

tiagocc0

Arcane
and buy expensive houses, cars, drinks
capitalism is a bitch!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom