Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alone in the Dark Reboot from THQ Nordic and the writer of SOMA

jaekl

Educated
Patron
This actually has the opposite problem of robocop where the combat sucks but the game rules which I prefer. The monsters are generic blobmen and it has at least one wretched stealth section which are the worst things to happen to video games since the invention of the romance. It reminds me a bit of Deadly Premonition which is an all time classic with all the kooky characters you meet accompanied by funny music. Good sense of place moving around the mansion finding shortcuts. Classic survival horror puzzles. The last Alone in the Dark game I played was the first reboot on the ps1 and that was decades ago so I don't know if this is a travesty in regards to the atmosphere of the originals.

Haven't got a sniff of politically correct brow beating yet. I had a moment at the start of the game where I said to myself "this chick has no chin at all damn... wait a minute... no chin?? A woman with a weak jawline? In a video game?!" and then I had a full orgasm.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This actually has the opposite problem of robocop where the combat sucks but the game rules which I prefer. The monsters are generic blobmen and it has at least one wretched stealth section which are the worst things to happen to video games since the invention of the romance. It reminds me a bit of Deadly Premonition which is an all time classic with all the kooky characters you meet accompanied by funny music. Good sense of place moving around the mansion finding shortcuts. Classic survival horror puzzles. The last Alone in the Dark game I played was the first reboot on the ps1 and that was decades ago so I don't know if this is a travesty in regards to the atmosphere of the originals.

Haven't got a sniff of politically correct brow beating yet. I had a moment at the start of the game where I said to myself "this chick has no chin at all damn... wait a minute... no chin?? A woman with a weak jawline? In a video game?!" and then I had a full orgasm.
The game tells you to stealth but that's hardly ever necessary and completely anemic anyway.

jaekl

Educated
Patron

The game tells you to stealth but that's hardly ever necessary and completely anemic anyway.
What about the library?

DoWhocares

Literate

What about the library?
If anything, it's a reverse-stealth section. You're supposed to run past the dude without even looking at him there. If you stick around trying to crouch and observe his patterns - that's when he gets you. I actually found it really clever.

Barbarian

Arcane

What about the library?

I just ran past these sections. No big deal. Many combat sections were skippable also. Annoying but you could just run past the monsters.

Barbarian

Arcane

What about the library?
If anything, it's a reverse-stealth section. You're supposed to run past the dude without even looking at him there. If you stick around trying to crouch and observe his patterns - that's when he gets you. I actually found it really clever.

Yes, spanish guy explicitly tells you to ignore him.

Barbarian

Arcane
Does any of the "laniappe" collectible sets give you anything worthwhile? Besides the shotgun I mean.

jaekl

Educated
Patron

What about the library?
Well that's what I did, as I do in every stealth section - Benny Hill it. But he keeps appearing in front of you and sucks your health all out. At the last part he popped in right in front of the exit lock as I was sprinting in the doorway. Barely made it out, usually I'm playing the game incorrectly according to everyone else so that's pretty funny if I was doing it the intended way.

DoWhocares

Literate

What about the library?
Well that's what I did, as I do in every stealth section - Benny Hill it. But he keeps appearing in front of you and sucks your health all out. At the last part he popped in right in front of the exit lock as I was sprinting in the doorway. Barely made it out, usually I'm playing the game incorrectly according to everyone else so that's pretty funny if I was doing it the intended way.
Pretty much. Just remember that he only saps your health if you actively look at him (game even draws your camera to keep him in frame so you have to fight it), or just straight up bump into him.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Ohhhhh so he's slenderman. That's smart to live in a library, you'd never find his 8 pages in there.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I think the game states somewhere that he can't really "see" you. He's not actively hunting or anything, just an obstacle. Really dig his design, too. Maybe a bit more "Zoroastrian Magus" than "Pharaoh" but still very cool.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished it. Loved it, however...

Didn't feel the boss fight was the right approach here. Even so, he was a bit of a challenge. But the lead-up to that monstrosity of a blob was awesome.

Also, a question for you who finished it. I finished it with Carnby, and I got this ending:

Stuck the knife into the guy's eye. He became lobotomized but lived. Both "heroes" survived, and the girl, with the blob defeated.

Are there many other endings? Also looking at my achievements, I seem to have missed a lot, and I checked every corner. Interesting, and makes it exciting for another playthrough with a different protag.

Barbarian

Arcane

Didn't feel the boss fight was the right approach here. Even so, he was a bit of a challenge. But the lead-up to that monstrosity of a blob was awesome.

Also, a question for you who finished it. I finished it with Carnby, and I got this ending:

Stuck the knife into the guy's eye. He became lobotomized but lived. Both "heroes" survived, and the girl, with the blob defeated.

Are there many other endings? Also looking at my achievements, I seem to have missed a lot, and I checked every corner. Interesting, and makes it exciting for another playthrough with a different protag.

I got the same ending as you did. No idea if there are others.

DoWhocares

Literate

Beat it twice. The second time when you know where to go and what to do goes by much faster. Plus I dropped it from hard to easy just to see how the second run with the niece differed and blazed through it. Got the same ending both times. Looked it up - you need to collect certain item sets and this enables alt endings. From what I gather you play the game in exactly the same way but then instead of initiating the final fight, you get a different scene, and that's it. Some of those scenes are pretty fun however.

You do need to beat the game with both characters to get everything.

I was also surprised that even tho the actual events play out the same (with the expection of a unique personal sub-chapter in chapter 4) all the cutscenes and interactions are completely different between the characters. That was neat. I liked the detective's story more, but the chick was also good. And what was shocking to me, this might actually be the least woke game of the last decade. It was one Lovecraft's cat away from being full-on based and outright canceled by the media. Perhaps that's why the usual suspects rate it so low.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Since the paths are basically the same I don't really have any desire to play as Emily. Some of those puzzles, while okay as such, are just tedious to complete. (Looking at you, Sunken Temple)

Barbarian

Arcane

Beat it twice. The second time when you know where to go and what to do goes by much faster. Plus I dropped it from hard to easy just to see how the second run with the niece differed and blazed through it. Got the same ending both times. Looked it up - you need to collect certain item sets and this enables alt endings. From what I gather you play the game in exactly the same way but then instead of initiating the final fight, you get a different scene, and that's it. Some of those scenes are pretty fun however.

You do need to beat the game with both characters to get everything.

I was also surprised that even tho the actual events play out the same (with the expection of a unique personal sub-chapter in chapter 4) all the cutscenes and interactions are completely different between the characters. That was neat. I liked the detective's story more, but the chick was also good. And what was shocking to me, this might actually be the least woke game of the last decade. It was one Lovecraft's cat away from being full-on based and outright canceled by the media. Perhaps that's why the usual suspects rate it so low.

I agree, there was zero wokery. Not a single "woe is me and muh patriarchy/white privilege" diatribe coming from the black or female characters. That wasn't a big deal 10 years ago, but now it is something of a rarity.

I will eventually do a second playthrough with Emily and try to gather everything.

Robber Baron

Savant
I like it a lot. The more I play it the more it gives me Eternal Darkness vibes. But I'm just a sucker for these mystery solving, paranormal thriller kind of games

AfterVirtue

Literate
Haven't got a sniff of politically correct brow beating yet.
It reminds me a bit of Deadly Premonition which is an all time classic with all the kooky characters you meet accompanied by funny music.
it's more subtle and grounded than Eternal Darkness.
That's it, deal.

What about the library?
Well, like the original, isn't it? In the darkened library of Derceto stopping before finding the secret passage with the knife would mean being damaged and killed by the Vagabond. So, clever and on pint. bonus.
(As an aside, The book The creatures of the Night was among my top three https://aloneinthedark.fandom.com/wiki/The_Creatures_of_the_Night eh, memories)

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Lol you can actually open the safe up early and the girl sarcastically says "Oh wow I must be psychic" but you only get a collectable, no sequence breaking. BTW the female protagonist is actually good? Am I in a dream right now??

EDIT: you can skip puzzles by remembering the combinations though, I skipped the painting puzzle in room 6

Hell Swarm

Educated
I find it very funny the name drop has incorrect text. It's accurate on the written document but not the large readable text.

in.png

Curious how long this game is. I've just hit Chapter 3 and
done the Library with the Dark man stealth stuff
. I'm starting to get burned out on the game. I don't think it's bad, but I'm about ready to wrap it up for now.
The Graveyard segment felt really forced and reminded me of the generic horror section of 360 games.
It wasn't badly done, except me getting stuck on terrain and dying when I dodged during
the escape.
. Chapter 2 lasts a long time and I'm a bit disappointed they
haven't used any of the creepy cloth covered statues or the bear in interesting ways yet.

I'm starting to run into technical issues now and watching the frame rate tank when you hit with the shotgun is funny if janky. Some lighting effects are stuttering a bit when before everything was stable. Nothing to spoil the game, but small issues that make it feel cheap. Makes good use of it's assets so far at least. I wish they didn't foreshadow combat so clearly by giving you throwables near by or locking your ability to draw a gun at all in some areas.

Could someone explain what people mean when they call it Lovecraftian without spoiling anything? I've always been of the opinion that Lovecraft's style works strictly as a written or audio exclusive medium. When you start putting pictures to the incomprehensible it's no longer incomprehensible. Anti-chamber is the only game I can think of that comes close to being impossible for a human brain to really understand and
teleporting between locations feels very video gamey
and not tapping into the same horror of the unknown Lovecraft's work is built on.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I agree, there was zero wokery. Not a single "woe is me and muh patriarchy/white privilege" diatribe coming from the black or female characters. That wasn't a big deal 10 years ago, but now it is something of a rarity.
There is quite a few black voice voice overs and Mexicans too. Depends how you view that many of them but in general it's pretty much fine.

Put this in the wrong thread.
I find it very funny the name drop has incorrect text. It's accurate on the written document but not the large readable text.

in.png

Curious how long this game is. I've just hit Chapter 3 and
done the Library with the Dark man stealth stuff
. I'm starting to get burned out on the game. I don't think it's bad, but I'm about ready to wrap it up for now.
The Graveyard segment felt really forced and reminded me of the generic horror section of 360 games.
It wasn't badly done, except me getting stuck on terrain and dying when I dodged during
the escape.
. Chapter 2 lasts a long time and I'm a bit disappointed they
haven't used any of the creepy cloth covered statues or the bear in interesting ways yet.

I'm starting to run into technical issues now and watching the frame rate tank when you hit with the shotgun is funny if janky. Some lighting effects are stuttering a bit when before everything was stable. Nothing to spoil the game, but small issues that make it feel cheap. Makes good use of it's assets so far at least. I wish they didn't foreshadow combat so clearly by giving you throwables near by or locking your ability to draw a gun at all in some areas.

Could someone explain what people mean when they call it Lovecraftian without spoiling anything? I've always been of the opinion that Lovecraft's style works strictly as a written or audio exclusive medium. When you start putting pictures to the incomprehensible it's no longer incomprehensible. Anti-chamber is the only game I can think of that comes close to being impossible for a human brain to really understand and
teleporting between locations feels very video gamey
and not tapping into the same horror of the unknown Lovecraft's work is built on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom