Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Alone in the Dark: Illumination

Astral Rag

Arcane
alone_dark_illuminatitoc43.jpg

Atari is releasing "re-imagined" versions of Alone in the Dark and Haunted House this autumn on PC, the publisher has announced.

The former project is called Alone in the Dark: Illumination and is being developed by Pure.

Haunted House's reboot won't have a subtitle, and it's being developed by Dreampainters, the studio behind the 2012 first-person horror game Anna.

The original Alone in the Dark was released in 1992 by Infogrames, although the series was more recently rebooted in 2008 by Eden Games as an Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii and PC release.

Conversely, Haunted House also had a modern spin-off as earlier this summer Atari released a mobile autorunning game based on the brand. The original Haunted House debuted in 1982 for Atari 2600.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-20-atari-is-rebooting-alone-in-the-dark-and-haunted-house

http://aitd.com/

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
They must have seen the hype that the new Silent Hill, Alien: Isolation, and The Evil Within are getting and said "Well, shit, that looks like a good bandwagon to jump on. What do we have sitting around that we can revamp to capitalize on it?"

DeepOcean

Arcane
A zombie publisher comming out of the land of the dead to "reimagine" a franchise it fucked mercilessly for years... obviously nothing could go wrong.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I could maybe care a little if AitD hadn't been raped a good few times already.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played AitD 1 a few months back, it's actually pretty good and atmospheric. A true remake would be amazing but who am I kidding, I guess I can be glad when it won't reach Thi4f levels of derpiness

Angthoron

Arcane
Played AitD 1 a few months back, it's actually pretty good and atmospheric. A true remake would be amazing but who am I kidding, I guess I can be glad when it won't reach Thi4f levels of derpiness
It's okay, it'll keep the important founding principles of the original intact. You know, things like:

* Dubstep
* QTEs
* Cinematic cutscenes
* Angelic choirs
* Optional Kinect/Voice integration
* Story by Rihanna (optionally: Pratchett)
* Jason Statham voice acting everything

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last Aitd was so bad. Consolized, trying to be epic, no horror at all. Shitty vehicle sections and derpy plot made me realize that there is nothing to look forward to so I uninstalled it. I can't even find any info about Pure guys, so it's probably their first game. The should leave the series in peace, but knowing Atari it will be some mediocre game with securom on top of it. Just play the original and remember to move the cabinet to the window! That was a hell of a scary game when I was a kid. Funny how the fourth one was a Resident Evil clone, I've liked Devil Inside more in the shooting department.

msxyz

Augur
Who owns the completely desecrated, violated, gang raped, fossilized corpse of Atari these days?

Watching your favourite past time hobby declining even further and not feeling bad anymore is kind of fun... :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds a bit like a shooter, but the teaser trailer below is definitely sticking firmly to the series' horror roots. It's in development at Pure, a new studio boasting talent responsible for Dead Island 2, Bioshock Infinite, and Battlefield 2. Given that pedigree, and the class details on the game's official website, it looks like we may be in for a slightly Left 4 Dead-oriented affair.

Yeah, I'm confident it's sticking to the roots of the series.
At least now we know who is the engimatic Pure developer. Judging by the titles the monsters will scale to your level, the shooting will be boring, the plot will be 2deep4u and it will need a couple of patches to work properly in multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom