Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Aliens RPG cancelled, Obsidian fires staff, future in doubt

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Sega don't have a good track record, do they?

So does Obsidian. Instead of seeing another property after Kotor and FR being fucked by Obsidian I'd rather not see it at all. They can mess will all their shitty IPs for all I care.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
God dammit, why do all the good RPG developers die while Bioware still turns out crap every year or so?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Xor said:
God dammit, why do all the good RPG developers die while Bioware still turns out crap every year or so?

People buy that crap every year or so.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Xor said:

That could be a problem. Looks like now that Obshitian is gone Bioware will need to find a new "crapper".

Live by the licensed IP, die by the licensed IP. This is a classic example of a company that if it goes down, will go down not because of creativity but because of making licensed nonsense and hybrid sell-outs. If they'd stuck to Bioware handouts, they would've been fine.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I sense butthurt in these dev posts. More confirmation, I suppose.

Though I would be pissed too, no doubt about it.

Best-case scenario: Obsidian tweakes the Aliens game to remove any references to the franchise, and then finds another publisher for their "original IP." Not much time is wasted.

Worse-case scenario: The game is unsalvagable, putting Obsidian back several years and hurting them financially.

Worst possible outcome: Same as above, except that they don't recover and go bankrupt.

I hope it's number 1, but if the layoffs are also true then it is probably number 2. I don't even want to think about the third option. If Obsidian goes tits up like Troika did then we truly will only have indies to look forward to.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dicksmoker said:
Best-case scenario: Obsidian tweakes the Aliens game to remove any references to the franchise, and then finds another publisher for their "original IP." Not much time is wasted.

Shop it to Games Workshop as Space Hulk

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Dicksmoker said:

They'd have to throw all of the art out and start again. That's probably most of their budget right there.

Good night sweet prince.

Sucks for Sawyer, another game of his canceled by inept publishers. First Herve, then Herve again, now Sega.

All assuming "indefinite hold" means what it normally means, of course.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
Maybe they could modify it slightly and change the names?

Like most studios, I assume they have been paid to make this game per milestone, so they wouldn't own what they are working on.

EDIT
The publisher model sucks for us, because games for low brows seem to get made most of the time.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Davaris said:
Like most studios, I assume they have been paid to make this game per milestone, so they wouldn't own what they are working on.
Are you saying that Sega could literally take all that Obsidian has done on the game, dump that shit on another studio, and get the game made without any further involvement from Obsidian?

Or am I reading too much into your post?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Sega could do what you suggest, as everything is handed over at the milestones, but I can't see them doing that, as by the time they restart the project, the engine would be out of date and the assets could be out of date as well (everything must be next gen!)

Also they've lost all the art people that gave the project its unique look and the guys that know the code are working elsewhere as well. They could get new coders in, but they could take months to get up to speed.

So once you pull the plug on something that big, there's no easy way to bring it back.

Andhaira

Arcane
Sad news to hear Obsidian in trouble.

The game industry is in the same dire straits as when Baldurs Gate 1 was published and rescued the crpg genre and brought about an instant revival that lingers to this very day.

Will Dragon Age do the same?

DriacKin

Arbiter
This is sad news for me.
If Obsidian goes under, I guess that makes CD Projekt the only other mainstream RPG studio that I have even the slightest bit of faith in.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
MLMarkland said:
a_014BillPaxton.jpg

They're coming outta the walls. They're coming outta the goddamn walls. Let's book!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom