Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Dark Descent - real-time squad-based tactical action

Just copy X-Com and put Aliens on top. How fucking stupid do you have to be to not realize that.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
One of the issues I have with the Alien franchise, beyond it beyond a chaotic mess without a sensible canon (I'm one of those people who think the first two movies are the only good ones, before it degenerated into The Ripley Torture Hour and The Adventures of David the Generic Psycho Robot Slasher Villain), is that the aliens are only a threat because humans (or other aliens) are constantly holding the idiot ball to ferry them across the galaxy. The aliens aren't intelligent enough to build nor pilot their own spacecraft, so they cannot travel between planets without humans around to ferry them. This places the onus on humans constantly ignoring all the incidents where aliens run amuck to justify the aliens wreaking the havoc they do, over and over again. This could work if humanity had a genuinely compelling reason to keep doing this that is more important than all the planets destroyed by the aliens, but there isn't any.

The only way to justify all this horror genre bullshit is if humanity faced an existential threat that justified these ridiculous expenses. For example, if the aliens could build their own spacecraft to invade human colonies then yes it would totally make sense to study them for every possible advantage to use against them. This would even justify the tendency of writers and devs to keep inventing new castes, since the aliens could R&D that shit themselves.

And it's not like taking this approach has much competition. Tyranids are a tiny part of 40k, Starship Troopers is a worthless IP, Halo and Starcraft aren't receiving a movie adaptation any time soon... there's really no reason not to make the aliens an intelligent species that builds their own ships to invade human colonies. Sure, some writers will probably fuck that up too, but the franchise has been stagnant for decades. There's nothing Marvel has done that hasn't already been done by Dark Horse. The franchise has already been driven into the ground, so there's really nothing to lose at this point.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Xenomorphs being a realistic threat remains laughable as long as they stick to 1 human incubator = 1 xenomorph.

If you want to make them actually scary outside of enclosed spaceships and stuff, you're gonna need to pump those numbers up.

Like 1 human incubator = 1000 xenomorphs. Now we're talking.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the issues I have with the Alien franchise, beyond it beyond a chaotic mess without a sensible canon (I'm one of those people who think the first two movies are the only good ones, before it degenerated into The Ripley Torture Hour and The Adventures of David the Generic Psycho Robot Slasher Villain), is that the aliens are only a threat because humans (or other aliens) are constantly holding the idiot ball to ferry them across the galaxy. The aliens aren't intelligent enough to build nor pilot their own spacecraft, so they cannot travel between planets without humans around to ferry them. This places the onus on humans constantly ignoring all the incidents where aliens run amuck to justify the aliens wreaking the havoc they do, over and over again. This could work if humanity had a genuinely compelling reason to keep doing this that is more important than all the planets destroyed by the aliens, but there isn't any.

The only way to justify all this horror genre bullshit is if humanity faced an existential threat that justified these ridiculous expenses. For example, if the aliens could build their own spacecraft to invade human colonies then yes it would totally make sense to study them for every possible advantage to use against them. This would even justify the tendency of writers and devs to keep inventing new castes, since the aliens could R&D that shit themselves.

And it's not like taking this approach has much competition. Tyranids are a tiny part of 40k, Starship Troopers is a worthless IP, Halo and Starcraft aren't receiving a movie adaptation any time soon... there's really no reason not to make the aliens an intelligent species that builds their own ships to invade human colonies. Sure, some writers will probably fuck that up too, but the franchise has been stagnant for decades. There's nothing Marvel has done that hasn't already been done by Dark Horse. The franchise has already been driven into the ground, so there's really nothing to lose at this point.
As usual, the first movie/game/book was made with love and care and whatever came after was just for sale.

Alien was a good movie.

Alien 2 was just selling on the action part.
Alien 3 was selling on the "horror" part.
Alien 4 I don't even remember.
Anything that came after, being "Alien" or mix of "Alien" and "Predator" was whatever the marketing said would sell better.

Honestly, there's only one good Alien movie, 2 & 3 are watchable but meh, the rest is trash.

HALO has an expensive TV series though, at least as expensive or more so than a movie

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

As usual, the first movie/game/book was made with love and care and whatever came after was just for sale.

Alien was a good movie.

Alien 2 was just selling on the action part.
Alien 3 was selling on the "horror" part.
Alien 4 I don't even remember.
Anything that came after, being "Alien" or mix of "Alien" and "Predator" was whatever the marketing said would sell better.

Honestly, there's only one good Alien movie, 2 & 3 are watchable but meh, the rest is trash.
Aliens > Alien brah

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Aliens > Alien brah

Damn right it is. Better in every way imaginable.

Anyways I wont be buying this. Aliens doesn't translate to video games. I bought that Fireteam Bravo or whatever the useless piece of shit was called and it was crap. Wont be buying another Aliens game.

Alien actually works better for games. By all means make Alien Isolation 2. I'll buy that.

This looks pretty neat. I have never played a "real-time squad-based tactical action game" before, so I am quite curious as to how the gameplay is.

Let us hope that it is actually good. Wishlisted.

:greatjob:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xenomorphs being a realistic threat remains laughable as long as they stick to 1 human incubator = 1 xenomorph.

If you want to make them actually scary outside of enclosed spaceships and stuff, you're gonna need to pump those numbers up.

Like 1 human incubator = 1000 xenomorphs. Now we're talking.
Remember, they can make animal hybrids too. Imagine rat aliens.

Skorpion

Educated
This looks pretty neat. I have never played a "real-time squad-based tactical action game" before, so I am quite curious as to how the gameplay is.

Let us hope that it is actually good. Wishlisted.

:greatjob:
Check out Satellite Reign if your into that sort of concept. Really well done, bit dated but plays beautifully and has a very cool cyberpunk world.
Something to tide you over until this releases

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Aliens: Dark Descent - Gameplay Overview Trailer
We're so excited to offer you a deeper dive into Aliens: Dark Descent with a new Gameplay Overview Trailer!

This 5-min video’s in-depth footage and commentary showcases the narrative, protagonists, and gameplay mechanics of Aliens: Dark Descent, our upcoming game set in the iconic Alien universe.

You are the commander, your squad is your weapon
Aliens: Dark Descent features a fully-fledged tactical campaign filled with tense moments, deep strategy, and terrifying revelations. As you explore further, you’ll progress in a complex story and attempt to solve the mysteries of Planet Lethe. Players will manage their squad as a single unit, thanks to innovative and intuitive controls on both keyboard & mouse and controller. Marines react intelligently to orders thanks to a unique Squad Behavior System that dispatches them automatically on the field. When the Xenomorph threat gets overwhelming, they can slow down time at any moment to focus on tactical decisions in the heat of the moment.

Marines are well equipped to alter their environment and deal with hostiles. The flamethrowers can be used to engulf corridors and condemn enemy paths. Suppressive fire is effective at slowing down your enemies and sentry guns are best used to sustain tough encounters while making sure not to run out of resources.

Every run is unique as the Xenomorphs adapt to player behavior and action. Each choice remains unaltered as players explore extensive, open and persistent levels. Managing the squad’s health and stress levels is equally as important as clearing objectives. And remember, when a Marine dies, they are permanently gone for good.

After each mission, players return to their ship, the Otago: a hub to heal and recruit Marines, to research and develop new tech that improves gear, and to retreat during missions. With 5 Marines classes available, assign a role to each of your Marines and create a stronger squad to explore further down and battle against an onslaught of iconic Xenomorph creatures.

Gear up and discover the source of a strange and dire threat in Aliens: Dark Descent[www.focus-entmt.com] on June 20. You can already pre-order the game now.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice presentation actually. The game looks promising. I just hope it comes complete and not with 53 season passes planned.

IMPERIVM RECTVM

Literate
Nice presentation actually. The game looks promising. I just hope it comes complete and not with 53 season passes planned.
I don't think tactical squad game with real time combat goes well together. I hope they eventually add turn based mode.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The Alien franchise needs some fresh blood. I'd really like a few new ideas instead of another rehash of the same stuff, over and over again, in half-baked mediocre games, even if its a different game genre. Remember the first AvP game? It spiced things up and introduced cool new stuff. But since then nothing interesting happened. I like the Alien setting but it needs to be explored more. Keep the original stuff but please extend it once in a while with something interesting. At this point the license makes me rather suspicions of a game, instead of raising my interest in a positive way.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I was expecting a pile of shit and this actually looks like a game. Interesting setup with the persistent levels.

Will keep an eye on this.

Skorpion

Educated
The trailer has me interested, however this liscence/franchise has been so dubious in their games that I have a large dose of skepticism until after this releases.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Video game pricing makes no sense to me these days. Why is this game only $40 at launch? Aliens isn't a small ip. I'm not bitching that it isn't $70. I just don't understand what separates a $40 game from a $70 game. What justifies the extra $30 for something like say Zelda or Diablo 4?

It can't be a brand recognition thing because I'm fairly certain Aliens is bigger than Zelda and Diablo in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Smaller project? Or maybe they don't think people will pay 70 for a top down game.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
aliens vs predators vs marines RTS, so a starcraft clone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom