Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll be happy when they release ONE patch.

Doesn't need one as far as I'm concerned.

One of the most stable and well optimised AAA games I've played.

Same here, I only had a couple of crashes while I played.

But you and I are not the definitive authority. There are plenty of players who can't even get the game to run, or can't progress beyond a certain point because the game always crashes there for them. Besides that there are bugs and graphical glitches present that need to be addressed anyway.

Our experience may have been good, but the game is still badly in need of a patch.

retardation

Learned
Well i actually agree Robocop would arrest Riddick... but he would escape from prison later so... Riddick wins again. As for Megatron thats a cartoon so its not really fair but i bet Riddick would find a way to drive him like a mech and wreck shit up. He does that in the game
two times:cool:

OK about Alien:Isolation

It seems i cant even play this. Aparently i dont have the hardware wtf??/ Great... I watched some videos and it looks good but not THAT good.(riddick looks better)

BUT... I noticed some really dumb stuff in there.

First.
Completely irrational characters. And i dont mean their general incompetence to deal with a loose animal... I guess thats just the way things are in the alien universe.
But WHY did they split up into HOSTILE groups? How does that help their survival??? The guy says "its safer that way".:?:?:?
No its not! And i get that theyr scared but really...Its just stupid. Even in the movie nobody did that did they? Cause they had SOME sense. And here they even have GUNS! Heavy machine guns. But instead of using them on the alien they use them on eachother??????

Also i have a gripe with those graffiti on the walls. Stuff like GO BACK! and NO HOPE and ALL IS LOST adn such. How dramatic... All that because of a space bear. Well fine... but its really lame. You know in SS2 there was just ONE of those and it was a refference to the first game. I guess people there had more important things to do than write stupid shitt on the wall the whole day and fight each other.

The whole premise is just completely unplausibile.

I cant belive i torrented this shit the whole night... And deleted 20gb of space for THIS!? Deleted some good games!:argh: You know its fucking insulting thats what it is.

The reason the setting in Alien Isolation is implausible is that, instead of writing a logical and compelling story from the beginning, Creative Assembly and Sega decided to draw brainwashing parallels to expected chaos and destruction in the real Sevastopol. Since the real Sevastopol is permanently stabilized now, all we are left with in Alien Isolation is utter nonsense.

The game's got horror up to a certain point. The last third of the game however is a waste of time - underused characters, rewire and terminals, illogical characters and situations and piss poor ending - that almost ruined the whole game. And the Last Survivor and Crew Expendable DLC was obviously ripped from the main game. We've already got the first person narrative of Marlow's experience, yeah? What about Ellen's? Yeah, well, that is a DLC. Alien Isolation badly needs a level editor.

Some of the things that would've happened both in movies and in the real world:

- Survivors would've holed up in one section of the station and called on the others over the speakers to join them. Think The Walking Dead in Space or maybe even better - Metro series.
- Sections would've been sealed one by one.
- Apollo would've been hacked.
- All sorts of traps would've been placed on the vent exits.
- Xenomorph would've been caught on camera.
- Every sane person who discovers the secret of the station would've destroyed Sevastopol immediately, including themselves if necessary.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
I don't know why everyone seems to like Alien: Isolation so much. Yeah, it has nice visuals, but it is still a shitty console game with terrible interface and controls and very bad stealth. Stealth in this game is actually cover-based, so even if the room you are in is well lit and you staying very close to alien but behind some cover, the 'ultimate hunter in the universe' won't see you and it just walks by! FFS Alien is also very retarded, so you can use the same tactics with it all and over again - just throw a noisemaker and it will come to it like a puppy. Yeah, so hardcore... Story was interesting, but too predictable and also too long. They should have ended the game after the conversation with Apollo or soon afterwards. Instead, we got a few more hours of gameplay where it seems that the devs just don't know what to throw at you.

in some LP i watched the guy could actually stand up behind a crate and the Alien wouldnt see him anyway even if right on the other side of the crate, since according to its "seek the player" algorithm the player was behind cover.

Silva

Arcane
I must be very dumb or very naive, but I'm finding the game pretty good and the Sevastopol scenario one of the better realized ones in all the videogame hobby (yeah, on par with the System Shocks). But then I'm in the early game (just got that Dr. Morley card) and all this can derail badly from now on.

Also tried the "Safe Haven" DLC and found it pretty nice. Though I agree it should come with the original game.

Wondering if I really did see something happen that shouldn't have happened, I sought to reproduce the situation. Note the molotov trap between the doors:

24ML9ZU.jpg

The Alien walks into it:

UmFPokE.jpg

And immediately escapes into the WHATTHEFUCKINGFUCK!:

uos0sxP.jpg

mUwEPWf.jpg

We knew that the Alien was already cheating by occasionally teleporting between vent exits but this is quite annoying. I have noticed this before in previous areas but always rationalized it some way (eg. alien jumping through ceiling with disorganized bundles of cables without any indication of a vent; "hmm, those are just cables, after all, flexible and concealing and whatnot so maybe there is a vent in there somewhere") but this area seems particularly poorly designed with such glitches.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Nice work, you just gave us another reason to hate on Crystal Assembly for releasing a game that they haven't bothered to patch for FOUR MONTHS while churning out DLCs with content no once gives a shit about (beyond the first). :)

Nah, I think the game is pretty good. It could have been excellent if it were more free-form with roaming NPCs on schedules (even if entirely scripted) with options to cause more indirect and long term distractions so that
the Alien is not always lingering by you and by you only

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
The reason the setting in Alien Isolation is implausible is that, instead of writing a logical and compelling story from the beginning, Creative Assembly and Sega decided to draw brainwashing parallels to expected chaos and destruction in the real Sevastopol. Since the real Sevastopol is permanently stabilized now, all we are left with in Alien Isolation is utter nonsense.

So you're arguing that the game is an allegory for an event that occurred 8 months prior to the game's release? AAA games aren't developed that fast, bro.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nice work, you just gave us another reason to hate on Crystal Assembly for releasing a game that they haven't bothered to patch for FOUR MONTHS while churning out DLCs with content no once gives a shit about (beyond the first). :)

You are aware the Publisher is the person responsible and funds patches right?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Interesting. I would have thought this was selling more? But they seem to be happy, so thats good I guess.

Heh. Just because you can get a couple hundred survival horror fans to rage post in the comments of every article covering Aliens: Colonial Marines doesn't mean the shooter majority is going to want to drop money on a non-shooter game.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game had potential to be great, but it's just okay because they didn't finish making the gameplay. I mean the hiding system sucks so much and is extremely poorly developed in comparison to everything else in the game that it seems like a crappy addition (like thiefs in D&D), but it's the main point of the game instead. A shame, really, because I really enjoyed the game for what if was even though the alien in the game didn't feel or act like the alien in the movie.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Im reaching the Apollo core now but Im getting a bit tired of the game. Is the end near ? How many missions (or hours more) after Apollo ?

There are 19 missions in total, getting to Apollo core is mission 11 or 12 IIRC.

Mission 16 gives you free movement on the station, so if you want to look around and grab some collectibles, that's your chance. Otherwise the rest is on-rails.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The game had potential to be great, but it's just okay because they didn't finish making the gameplay. I mean the hiding system sucks so much and is extremely poorly developed in comparison to everything else in the game that it seems like a crappy addition (like thiefs in D&D), but it's the main point of the game instead. A shame, really, because I really enjoyed the game for what if was even though the alien in the game didn't feel or act like the alien in the movie.

What exactly didn't you like about the hiding "system"?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What exactly didn't you like about the hiding "system"?
That i could run around boxes half visible and the alien that is supposed to be a great predator didn't take notice of me, and i bet a mentally challenged hamster would.

I mean, I know the alien doesn't have eyes (though the problem also includes droids and humans) but he should hear me or whatever. I mean nothing that tarded as is portrayed in the game could survive one day in the wild, let alone be the ultimate predator.

retardation

Learned

So you're arguing that the game is an allegory for an event that occurred 8 months prior to the game's release? AAA games aren't developed that fast, bro.

The Ukraine situation has long been planned, bro, and the main Alien Isolation writer is Dan Abnett.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected

The Ukraine situation has long been planned, bro, and the main Alien Isolation writer is Dan Abnett.

So a random comic book writer is privy to a vast intergovernmental conspiracy to get protesters into the Maidan 10 months before release and have Putin annex Crimea 7 months before release?

Do you think it might be more likely that, for the average American and Briton i.e. the primary audience, Sevastapol is a vaguely exotic name that they know they've heard before but couldn't place on a map, and that when applied to a space station would suggest a place that was remote and off the main space trade lanes?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Sevastopol, to a foreigner, evokes a faint eastern block imagining where grit, steel, dysfunction and subdued people form a sentiment in your mind.

There's nothing more to it. Mission accomplished. How else should they've called this ramshackle station? Sunshine Gloria Station YAY-1?

I do like the names, symbols and the internal mythology of the game, however much it feeds off of Alien.

Silva

Arcane
I give up. Didn't like the turn the game took by the second half. It's like it begins as a homage to the first movie but somewhere along the way it also turns into a homage to the second too which is... weird. The initial tone, more sober and somber, gives away to one trying to be all edgy and epic thats simply boring and cliche. It's like they called Ridley Scott to write the first half and Michael Bay to write the second. What a lost opportunity.

Though I still recommend it for fans of the first movie. The art and sound direction is fantastic. You can see there were some hardcore fans among the developers.

retardation

Learned

So a random comic book writer is privy to a vast intergovernmental conspiracy to get protesters into the Maidan 10 months before release and have Putin annex Crimea 7 months before release?

Do you think it might be more likely that, for the average American and Briton i.e. the primary audience, Sevastapol is a vaguely exotic name that they know they've heard before but couldn't place on a map, and that when applied to a space station would suggest a place that was remote and off the main space trade lanes?

Dude, anti-eastern brainwashing in the western media has a long and fruitful tradition. I'm just saying Alien Isolation would be better off without it, because, currently, it doesn't make sense and it damages the otherwise solid game. It's your problem what you believe or not believe.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Dude, anti-eastern brainwashing in the western media has a long and fruitful tradition. I'm just saying Alien Isolation would be better off without it, because, currently, it doesn't make sense and it damages the otherwise solid game. It's your problem what you believe or not believe.

All I'm saying is that you're making a huge, and honestly kind of ridiculous, reach to say that A:I is an allegory for the Ukrainian situation over the past 18 months if for no other reason than the timeline for such events -- Ukraine didn't reenter Western consciousness until December 2013 with the Maidan protests, a mere 10 months before release. Beyond that, I suppose we can engage in allegorical speculation, but the trouble with allegory is that you can make just about any story, regardless of the author's intentions, fit an allegory if you push hard enough; see medieval and Renaissance Christian allegorists arguing that Odysseus lashing himself to the mast to hear the Sirens was allegory for Christ on the cross, despite the fact that Homer predated Christ by 800 years. Is Putin the alien, stalking the halls of a Crimean (space) port? If the game is propaganda, preparing the masses for a Western conspiracy to push Ukraine into its orbit by instigating mass protests in Kiev, why not call the space station Kiev? If the supposed conspiracy was to push Ukraine, all of it, into the EU/NATO or at least client state status with the West, why name your chief propaganda piece after a major port in the Crimea, a part of Ukraine which isn't the central stage of your staged mass uprisings? For that matter, if you're going to rewrite Western movies, books, and games currently in production in order to predispose your population to the idea that "Eastern Europe Sucks", an idea which needs no help at this point, why would you pick a game that was going to have a relatively limited audience for a AAA title and which had a distinct chance of flopping? Wouldn't you pick the latest Marvel comicbook movie and the latest release of Call of Duty, i.e. stuff you know for sure lots of people are going to consume?

If you're making a more general claim that they're feeding into stereotypes of Eastern bloc dysfunction by using the name Sevastopol to help evoke the idea that the space station is far off, poorly run, and broken down, then I guess I can agree with that, although I don't know how inaccurate such a stereotype is.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is just one name 'Sevastopol' in the whole game which could be a possible reference to real world events and it already generated some butthurt...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom