Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake 2 - new survival horror experience from Remedy

Elttharion

Learned
alan-wake-2-screenshot.jpg

:M

grimace

Arcane
Everyone on Twitter said they/them would not buy/purchase Alan Wake II/2 without physical/hard copy.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Speaking of free codes, I got one for Alan Wake 2 and I'm currently downloading the game.

I'll report back how well it plays on my 4090. It's probably going to suck.

Elttharion

Learned
Everyone on Twitter said they/them would not buy/purchase Alan Wake II/2 without physical/hard copy.
IIRC the split is 75% digital versus 25% physical on consoles and pretty much 100% digital on PC. I really doubt the number of people who refuse to buy a game if its digital only is significant tho.

DemonKing

Arcane
Speaking of free codes, I got one for Alan Wake 2 and I'm currently downloading the game.

I got a free copy when I bought my 4070 and even though I don't use a 4K screen it doesn't play nicely with everything maxed out which is pretty disappointing as I had to drop a few settings down (still looks pretty good). Hopefully you have better luck on your 4090.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I got a free copy when I bought my 4070 and even though I don't use a 4K screen it doesn't play nicely with everything maxed out which is pretty disappointing as I had to drop a few settings down (still looks pretty good). Hopefully you have better luck on your 4090.

They really gave up on this optimisation business don't they?

orcinator

Liturgist
Is this the latest The Room game? It has those vibes, just more pretentious. Pretentious project by untalented people who can't understand their own ineptitude and bizarre nature and execution of their vision that think it's deep and poignant when it's actually shallow, meandering and pointless.

At least The Room was funny.
Alan Wake wishes it was The Room, if it had that outsider art aspect it could have had some charm, instead it's a loving recreation of the most boring normalfag media possible: Steve kang (who once said) and shitty TV shows.
Max Payne is the only game of their with actually memorable writing and that's because it's a loosely tied series of gunfights with a script that's half one liners half mook talk.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The Room seemed kind of fake. Like he knew he was making trash. So I mostly don't find it funny.

9ted6

Educated
The Room seemed kind of fake. Like he knew he was making trash. So I mostly don't find it funny.
Maybe Alan Wake 2's funnier then since they seemed to seriously think they were making a good game. That epitome of reddit music video had actually effort in it.

Ash

Arcane
cult favorite IP
That's certainly not Alan Wake. Any "cult status" for this game was at best made up by shills.
Most likely. Yet I know from experience to still SLAM X TO DOUBT. There's a lot of cum dumpster consumers out there. It was also an Xbox exclusive for a time, and that demographic generally has the lowest standards of them all.

I love this game but because I always have soft spot for remedy and poets of the fall and a new poets song always get me excited.
Here you go. Peak modern age consumer. Purchases out of illogical emotion and because there is a single song within that you can just listen to on youtube for free without a giant stinking piece of shit attached.
Enjoyment of art is always subjective, you're just a loser who's miserable that people are having fun. I enjoy ad much as the average codexer mechanic heavy games but to limit the games created to that subset is just lame. Nevertheless enjoyment of art is subjective and should be as diverse as possible
I like mechanically simpler games too. Mario or Half-Life, for instance. Even better comparisons actually: I like Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil 4 & Dead Space. What I care about is whether or not the gameplay is fun, engages the brain or holds any relevance at all beyond serving a shitty story. I care that it doesn't waste my time with Tic Tac toe level of engagement. Alan Woke was the epitome of trash. The "gameplay" was redundant and that is objective reality. It should have been a movie. And if that wasn't enough everything else about it was mediocre too.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Hopefully you have better luck on your 4090.
The only option I had to back off from ludicrous mode was actually enabling DLSS, which isn't diluting the image quality much if at all. Otherwise it's full framegen, ray-trace, everything completely maxed out at 1440p. Easily maintaining 100+fps even in the forest, usually hitting my framelimiter of 143fps.

If the game weren't so criminally boring I might keep going in it.

Ravielsk

Magister
Out of sheer curiosity I looked up the ending on youtube and its another fucking cliffhanger. In a way I have to admire the pendulous balls to have sequel that took 13 years to get out without even a proper ending. Somehow however I doubt there is going to be a third game.

From everything I have seen the game just looks... cheap? I simply never got the impression that I am looking at a AAA project, it always felt like a overfunded indie game that spent too much of its budget on live TV show scenes. Even control had this problem where it felt like half the game was missing but Alan Wake feels like its a cancelled TV shows that was hastily recut to fit into a game never made for it.

grimace

Arcane
Out of sheer curiosity I looked up the ending on youtube and its another fucking cliffhanger. In a way I have to admire the pendulous balls to have sequel that took 13 years to get out without even a proper ending. Somehow however I doubt there is going to be a third game.

From everything I have seen the game just looks... cheap? I simply never got the impression that I am looking at a AAA project, it always felt like a overfunded indie game that spent too much of its budget on live TV show scenes. Even control had this problem where it felt like half the game was missing but Alan Wake feels like its a cancelled TV shows that was hastily recut to fit into a game never made for it.

Yes.

Just make it a CGI "anime" and not pretend the user is required to play any gameplay sections.

orcinator

Liturgist

Was thinking of getting a new grafix card, but I think I'll hold off since even if I have no idea what's getting released next year it's probably better than this shit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's been decades since I've played such a masterpiece.
i wouldn't go as far as a masterpiece, but it was very unique and entertaining. the story gets better the more you go in and realize the layers, and the meta plot. it has ton of heart too like the cheeky jaako advertisement live action videos, etc never fail to make me laugh. the setpieces are gorgeous. bigots here just see a black MC and go ham.

tbh if they have more enemy types and better exploration, it'd be a very good survival horror, but the cinematics sometimes interrupt the gameplay and the combat are a bit too sparse until the end.

user

Savant
i wouldn't go as far as a masterpiece, but it was very unique and entertaining. the story gets better the more you go in and realize the layers, and the meta plot. it has ton of heart too like the cheeky jaako advertisement live action videos, etc never fail to make me laugh. the setpieces are gorgeous. bigots here just see a black MC and go ham.

tbh if they have more enemy types and better exploration, it'd be a very good survival horror, but the cinematics sometimes interrupt the gameplay and the combat are a bit too sparse until the end.

I'm playing rogue trader so I won't get into it much, but I finished it, and yes, I agree (except the masterpiece part, it's been way too long that a game with such a narrative came out).

It's "horror" yes and a pretty good one, but it shouldn't be seen only as such - it's more wholesome (as much as I hate this disgusting word) than any games that try to be "wholesome", it's made me laugh more than any supposedly funny games that I've played the last decade, and imo it has an SL2-grade narrative, which I don't think I have said for any other game in the past.

I was not too fond of the crossovers (not before I played Control at least) and mechanics leave something to be desired and beyond the brilliant dark place enemy design, yes it could use more types of enemies.

Silly gooses will think it's woke, but it's actually one of the few games that don't superficially have a black etc character in them just to have a black etc character, or pretentiously announce it to the player. Even when Saga (who is a pretty great protagonist) says something along the lines of "rich white men and their problems" for Alan, before understanding what is going on, is a funny and astute throwback to reality.

Terenty

Liturgist
Have
it's made me laugh more than any supposedly funny games that I've played the last decade, and imo it has an SL2-grade narrative, which I don't think I have said for any other game in the past.
Have you by any chance played Disco Elysium?

user

Savant
Have
it's made me laugh more than any supposedly funny games that I've played the last decade, and imo it has an SL2-grade narrative, which I don't think I have said for any other game in the past.
Have you by any chance played Disco Elysium?

Yes, yes of course, I love it and I believe it's also one of the very few, rare games that transcend the medium.
But it's more of a philosophical essay of politics and human nature, and less of a novel that tells a story, and that kind of makes them very different, at least in my mind.

Edit: Also the humor in DE was very clever (as is in AW2 imo), but it isn't the kind of humor that makes you laugh - it's the kind of humor that makes you think.

Devastator

Learned
Well, I downloaded it and endured about 45 minutes until I deleted it out of sheer boredom. I was honestly going to give it a decent chance, but holy fuck... My optimism was extremely misplaced. Just gathering clues around the crime scene made me cringe almost to the point of physical pain. I guess their design had an IQ of 85 in mind or something. In any case, good riddance.

The only good thing I can point out is that the game looks nice but the performance is pretty shit even with frame gen enabled on a 4080.

GrainWetski

Arcane

I'm playing rogue trader so I won't get into it much, but I finished it, and yes, I agree (except the masterpiece part, it's been way too long that a game with such a narrative came out).

It's "horror" yes and a pretty good one, but it shouldn't be seen only as such - it's more wholesome (as much as I hate this disgusting word) than any games that try to be "wholesome", it's made me laugh more than any supposedly funny games that I've played the last decade, and imo it has an SL2-grade narrative, which I don't think I have said for any other game in the past.

I was not too fond of the crossovers (not before I played Control at least) and mechanics leave something to be desired and beyond the brilliant dark place enemy design, yes it could use more types of enemies.

Silly gooses will think it's woke, but it's actually one of the few games that don't superficially have a black etc character in them just to have a black etc character, or pretentiously announce it to the player. Even when Saga (who is a pretty great protagonist) says something along the lines of "rich white men and their problems" for Alan, before understanding what is going on, is a funny and astute throwback to reality.
Yeah, it was completely natural to turn an established huwhite character named "Saga Anderson" into a negro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom