Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wushu Y/N?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.ageofwushu.com/

didn't read a lot into it but...some other forum goers commented...

When you are offline, your character exists in the world as an NPC to make you money or do whatever. As a player, you can kidnap other offline players and sell them for money. You're FFA attackable by anyone with no penalty when you are carrying a kidnap victim.

The Discipline meter that functions as a moral indicator of your actions in relation to your faction. Some things give you Discipline points and if you get over 100 your faction punishes you. As an Emei, not only I have to behave and help people and never commit crimes and all that stuff, but I am not supposed to flirt or wear "inappropriate" clothing. This is not just lore. The game punishes you if you do that.

Might give this a try when I get home.

escom

Learned
The really good thing about this game is that it doesn't have character levels, so you don't have to grind mobs. Ok, well grinding is still there, skill and quest grind. But you can train your skills passively and quests have mostly interesting stories. Other good thing is that it's sandbox-ish, it will have a player based economy system (not now because nobody cares about it in the closed beta). For example you can't buy food from npcs, you can only buy those from other players or you learn to be a chef and make them then sell them. If you don't eat then you'll be weak.

It's an open pvp game but there's a punish system. If gankers get killed then they have to spend hours or days in prison and if they collect too many bounty points then they will be beheaded. And that's final, they have to make a new character if they want to play again.

If you are evil type gamer then you can kidnap offline players and sell them for money and when they log back into the game then they will be in a slave camp or somewhere else.

The menu system is currently overcomplicated but they say they will improve it in the future. It's not that type of game in which you can learn everything in 1 hour.

The Englsh translation is shit though, but they can improve it in the future. I suggest the EU version though, Age of Wulin (CB will start in February or March). The English translation will be better there because it will be made by another company, a professional company, and it looks like the US publisher wants to force paytowin model. The EU publisher seems to be better in that case. http://en.wulin.gpotato.eu/

Drakron

Arcane
doesn't have character levels

Strike 1.

skill and quest grind.

Strike 2.

player based economy system

Strike 3.

It's an open pvp game

Strike 4 to 278.

you can kidnap offline players and sell them for money and when they log back into the game then they will be in a slave camp or somewhere else.

Strike 279 to 206792.

... not touching it with a 108 foot pole.

escom

Learned
@Strike1 Why? You want character levels so you can only progress by killing the same mobs over and over again? Yeah, that's great fun... There are already tons of mmos with deadly boring grinding. I don't understand how can anybody enjoy these type of mmos, except if you are an Asian kid.
You don't have to do this in AoW. It's definitely something new in mmos.

@Strike2 As i said you can train skills passively, you just press a button then you can do something else in the game (progress in your life skills (cooking, fishing, weiqi, etc... there are about 20 life skills you can choose from), play minigames with other players or with the computer, duel, pvp, do quests, kidnap players, do party quests, 200-400 vs 200-400 guild wars, etc...) . Quests are like in other mmos except AoW has interesting stories and different main quests depends on where you start the game.

@Strike 4 to 278. It's a bit annoying at first but gankers and griefers will find themeself in prison soon enough. Then they can screw themselves.

@Strike 279 to 206792 That's definitely something new and fun in mmos. "When you log off your char becomes an npc" stuff is really good.

@Strike 206793 Gpotato for EU version Age of Wulin, Snail Games USA for US version Age of Wushu

This game is definitely not for WoW fanboys. They'll probably uninstall it after 10 minutes because it's too hard for them. It really brings something new to the mmo market, it doesn't want to be a wow clone.

The game has a lot of problems atm but it's still in closed beta. And the item shop is annoying but all f2p games suffer by this.

Drakron

Arcane
@Strike1 Why?

Character levels give a higher sense of progression and do a hell of a job of preventing idiot developers from fucking up.

You know what also doesnt have levels? The Secret World and I got burn with that one ... I admit, it might be me but at least I can just grind and overlevel a bit and manage to do, without character levels I cannot do that.

@Strike2 As i said you can train skills passively ... play minigames

Again, what Secret World have is grind for SP and AP and by "train skills passively" you mean "just like in Elder Scrolls" that pretty much shows the problems, if I want a skill that I dont usually use I have to go around grinding its use and if I am forced to grind at least with levels I can do it more effectively.

And fuck minigames, fuck then.

@Strike 4 to 278. Then they can screw themselves.

No, they will just make a new character or account and repeat since this is F2P.

Open PvP does not work because unless you manage to actually punish the player its irrelevent and some will take up the challenge, EVE open PvP at least have their accounts at risk and time/money invested and only reason why its so problematic is because they refuse to add penalties outside "player's revenge".

@Strike 279 to 206792 That's definitely something new and fun in mmos. "When you log off your char becomes an npc" stuff is really good.

No, its not.

Its highjacking my character for the amusement and profit of anything player, MY character is MINE and I will NOT accept it being put in a situation were I have to PAY to get it back.

This game is definitely not for WoW fanboys. They'll probably uninstall it after 10 minutes because it's too hard for them. It really brings something new to the mmo market, it doesn't want to be a wow clone.

You know what? I dont play WoW ... I play STO and yes, I played WoW for about 2 months or so to see what it was all about back in the day before the first expansion and I played GW too.

The whole "not WoW" is being stupid defensive because WoW did not get so many subscribers for being easy or anything, it did because it got most things right so when starting to go all defensive and accusing people of being WoW you are really missing the point, WoW worked and got most things right and only reason some hate it is because its popular and most MMO attempted to clone WoW without understanding why things worked and that is why they failed.

Also if too hard fuck it, if I have to grind at least I want my grind to be easy ... already brought TSW so if I want hard grind with no character levels I got that covered.

And without character highjack and open griefing.

escom

Learned
by "train skills passively" you mean "just like in Elder Scrolls"
No, it's different. You get xp for doing things in the game (even if you are just logged in you get it), then this xp automatically gets converted into "Cultivation Points" (it sounds stupid i know) then you can assign these to a skill you want to train. Passively i mean you select the skill you want to train then press a button, and it automatically trains it and you can do other things in the game. There are 3 methods: 1. Passively, 2. Actively with ingame money, 3. Group training with a team.
Actually levels are still there but the skills have them. For example you can train you "inner mediation whatever" skill, which is similar to char level but in a different way.

No, they will just make a new character or account and repeat since this is F2P.
I tried out this punishment system, it's pretty harsh. You have to wait hours (real time) in jail and you get annoyingly long duration debuffs too. People can put a bounty on the griefers so other people will hunt them down. Rich people can abuse the prison system though but i think they will improve it in the future.

Its highjacking my character for the amusement and profit of anything player, MY character is MINE and I will NOT accept it being put in a situation were I have to PAY to get it back.
You don't have to pay. When you log back you get a quest to escape or fight your way out or something similar. You won't lose anything.

People say it's similar to EVE online but not that complex. Sandbox type mmo.
The US publisher seems amateurish though, i hope gpotato will be better.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Tried it during a beta event, didn't like it. The concept is alright - and it certainly seems to have more potential than most F2P crap - but the game itself still needs a lot of work, especially the horrible localization and the clunky, overcomplicated interface.

There's also a pretty good possibility for a P2W cash shop, since the Chinese version apparently has one and the Western publisher seems to think that selling in-game advantages (faster skill gain, faster leveling, etc) for cash money is okay:
http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2345

anus_pounder

Arcane
Grabbed a key. Couldn't hurt to try I suppose.

EDIT : On a side note, is this suppose to be PvP centric or PvE ? I'll admit right away that I rather like the idea of the game world and the music is good, reminds of Hero. I've always been a PvE guy though and I'm not changing anytime soon.

escom

Learned

EDIT : On a side note, is this suppose to be PvP centric or PvE ? I'll admit right away that I rather like the idea of the game world and the music is good, reminds of Hero. I've always been a PvE guy though and I'm not changing anytime soon.
Pvp but it's also sandbox, if you just want to do quests or be a chef, farmer, weiqi/go player, etc for the rest of your life you can do it. And there's also a punishment system for griefers/gankers and you can put a bounty on the asshole who killed you and other players will hunt him down.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Pvp but it's also sandbox, if you just want to do quests or be a chef, farmer, weiqi/go player, etc for the rest of your life you can do it. And there's also a punishment system for griefers/gankers and you can put a bounty on the asshole who killed you and other players will hunt him down.

Hmm...a bit of a downer but the rest of that sounds interesting. Well, might as well give it a whirl sometime. Thanks.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
With no levels and a dynamic martial-arts development system it seems that China is better at everything except making people look different from each other.
First thing I did in the character creator was changing my sex from female to... female? Turns out that the default character wasn't female, he's just chinese. Otherwise the graphics are good for what they are and the game plays very smoothly.
Once you start the game you're thrown into the water - you don't know what you're supposed to do. That's partially because of awkward translations and partially because AoW isn't a WoW clone. Grinding on mobs doesn't help you and you have to allot which skills to improve over time: Eve Online: Feudal China Edition. The big difference between AoW and Eve is that you spend much less time doing absolutely nothing in the latter.
You can chose between 8 martial art schools and your choice will determine most of your initial effectiviness in combat. Some of the schools have prerequisite skills to join, like guilds in Morrowind. Making the choice on your school doesn't limit you to its set of abilities however, as you can spy on other schools and steal their skills. Fucking cool? Fucking cool.

One of the best things in AoW is that they start with this whole fantasy feudal china setting and develop from there, instead of the tried and true "start from WoW" formula. As a consequence you can fly, run up walls, spring across water and lots and lots of crazy physics shit. Your abilitly to fight ios based on how you synergize the abilities you have and the game doesn't hold your hand in that respect at all. *YOU* have to figure out how to counter the incoming kick and what combination of punshes to bring down onto your opponent. You can and will make bad decisions and that is awesome.

Talking about bad decisions, prepare your anus because AoW isn't for carebears and Sir Grindalots. You will be attacked in towns, in the wilderness and even if you're logged out you stay in the world and can be kidnapped by players. There are no tangible consequences of losing a fight in the open, but if you PK and get captured by a bounty-hunting player, it's prison time for you. But you can break out.

Another cool feature is controlled PvP. When players are running high level dungeons, the game polls players to join the same instance as enemies. That means you have the ability to wreck someones dungeon crawl and conversely they must fight players to PvE. It goes without saying that my man rod is so hard now that I use it to write these words.

The best items in the game are all crafted, most people won't have the heart to devote the time into mastering their craft though. The game has what can only be described as china level of grind.

By the way there seems to be a metric shitton of Life Skills available, from Music to Painting, from Begging to Mining. You'll have your hands full. Some of the skills like music can provide your group with buffs if you're good at the guitar hero mini-game.

Talking of which, the game is full of copyright infringing minigames, Bejeweled, Guitar Hero, you name it. Even the group training sessions reek of things you've done before. Some of these may be cool if you like meditating or just killing some time, but that's not really my cup of tea.

Therefore:
Graphics: :5/5: :2/5: Succeeds at looking cinese
Gameplay: :5/5: :1/5: Unique and quirky
Originality: :5/5: :4/5: Confusing
WoW Clone: :5/5: :5/5: Nope
PvP: :5/5: :3/5: Open or voluntary faction
Risk: :3/5: :0/5: There are some risks for the attacker
Jet Li Splash: -:5/5: :5/5: :5/5: :5/5: :5/5:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Didn't expect RawReview :eek:

I played it for a bit, definitely has some fresh and interesting ideas but I'll wait for launch.

roll-a-die

Magister
I mostly agree with Raw, the game is imbalanced in some ways, but balanced decently in others. My main point of contrition is that it's trying to balance a WoW level power curve with an EVE level open PVP. And that's not very fun. In EVE my frigate if I spec/fit it right has a chance against your bad ass battlecruiser. This may however change as I go up in level I am only 3 days into the game...

Stokowski

Arcane
raw's overview is good.

This is a deeply flawed game - and yet I find myself enjoying it (mostly). Certainly it is more interesting at this point than the formulaic Neverwinter Beta.

The Bad:
* All characters look alike. Seriously. This is not racial stereotying. Everquest (1) had a greater diversity of faces for any single race.
* The translation of text from Chinese was apparently done by cocaine powered monkeys at typewriters. It's fucking shit, and causes no end of problems when you are trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.
* The UI is even worse. There's a different UI element for every different game element and none of it is consistent or customizable.
* At low level you will get ganked mercilessly - usually by Tangmen. Low-level Tang characters have a medium-damage ranged skill with a slow debuff. No other low-level character has anything that can counter that, so they end up being kited without effort. Tang players are cunts. They just can't help it. Fortunately as new skills become available this problem disappears.

The Good:
* The world is remarkable. I'm a bit of a sucker for excellent world design (which is why I stayed so long with Guild Wars 2 even after the game had started sucking balls) and the setting/lore/atmosphere/architecture/music is all top notch.
* There's a metric fuckton of shit to do. There is a storyline you can follow (you pick 1 from 4 or 5 at the beginning) but it's a tiny element of all that is possible.
* Kung-fu is fucking cool, and a welcome break from sword and sorcery / FPS pew-pew games.
* The complexity of the various interlocking game systems suggests something pretty deep, even if it just seems confusing as hell to begin with.

Notes:
* If you go VIP, that only applies to a single character, not your whole account.
* Your character can starve if you aren't careful.
* The crafting system is very good, if - like everything else in the game - rather grindy.
* The various differently structured PVP battles (school raids, wagon defense, duels, etc) are top notch fun - even, if like me, you pretty much suck haven't had a lot of practice.

Suicidal

Arcane
Is this game worth it if all you want to do is kill random people for shits and giggles?

Stokowski

Arcane
No, because the in-world systems for random PKing are pretty tough. At least, judging by the whining on the official forums from gankers about how unjust and unfair the jail times are, you'd think they were pretty tough. :roll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sounds like a worthy try... Will look into this once I've pulled myself off Scarlet Blade. Thanks Stokowski for the insightful review. And raw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom