Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders: Planetfall - AoW gone to space

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes it did.

Okay, okay. I get it. You prefer this:

90888-Virtua_Fighter_(32X)-2.jpg

to this:
403549-744.jpg

(Both games depicted are from 1993)

Fair enough.

I don't prefer the first over the second, no.

But I acknowledge that the first screenshot also has a charm of its own. It doesn't look shit, especially for 1993.

b1dd3932d1c791975ced651015b0e1be.jpg

This still looks good for example, not just for its time.

Self-Ejected

Circuit the Short

Self-Ejected
Super lo-fi lowpolygonal 3d may look nice because it actually looks stylized instead of technically limited. But once the devs started to make it look """realistic""" it lost it's cartoonish charm and started to look ugly. Cartoonish 3d >>>>>>> realistic 3d

And yeah, AoW3 looks ugly as hell. Mobile game looks + mobile game UI = UGLY. It's hard to tell what's hapenning on both strategic and tactical maps because it looks like a mess of colours and shapes instead of a clean looking battlefield plan. 2d map that shows when you zoom out is beautiful though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Years ago, game developers went with 3D because it was impossbile to have decent size of game and quality HIGH RES 2D. Look at BG and its hoards of CDs that were required for distribution, and multiply it by 4x to have correct size for 2D graphics designed to be sharp and detailed at 1920x1080 resolution. Morrowind required only ONE CD, Morrowind with quality detailed 2D graphic would require 5 DVDs.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Years ago, game developers went with 3D because it was impossbile to have decent size of game and quality HIGH RES 2D. Look at BG and its hoards of CDs that were required for distribution, and multiply it by 4x to have correct size for 2D graphics designed to be sharp and detailed at 1920x1080 resolution. Morrowind required only ONE CD, Morrowind with quality detailed 2D graphic would require 5 DVDs.

That might've been the case back then, but in this day and age of 60GB game releases. I don't think many people care about the size nowadays. I don't know shit about the technicalities, but Battle Brothers takes 1.18 GB in my steam folder. If a game like AoW would take 20x the size in 2D it would still be a more than average game size when installed.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Battle Brothers is when compared with games from garage games era, game done by amateurs. It has MUCH less art assets than BG. (Technically a lot of people in that era were self-educated, but 2x-3x more skilled than current results of university education.) I remember when FF XV released pirates screamed how long I'd download that. People in poverty don't have money for fast internet, much less games. But it shows a point. Too large game is pain to download even when Steam will not restart downloading after game is half downloaded after three days, just because Steam feels like trolling.

Then there are small problems like, high end quality artists don't grow on trees, and with current well established 3D animation studios, movie studios, and high budget games they don't work as cheaply as they did 20 years ago. Not cheaply at all. With 3D you can get away with, most 3D is crap anyway. But with 2D you'd likely to get "why would these morons use 2D sprites when they can't do it beautifully".

And then there is that small problem called, we would like rotate the view... AoW planetfall should be done with 3D models to look decently. But, the artistic direction is kinda bad. And from what I seen, it feels like: "It's our turn, whack all units into one enemy unit." "It's enemy turn, he whacks all his units into one our unit" Repeat until one unit die, then rest of the units have major advantage. While it's a combat, it doesn't have much common with real life combat with lasers and guided missiles.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I fired up AoW1 yesterday since I haven't really played it beyond the tutorial and the first map of the first campaign already makes you feel like you are experiencing something special. It's kind of hard to distinguish between the halfling sprites, though, the cleric, slinger and footman look almost identical to one another because they are so small. Goblins also have this problem, but not to this degree because their units are very characteristic, especially the suicide bomber. Also, you can marquee select all the units in the battlefield and order them simultaneously. Either way, the 2D is charming and better.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
>sees a 4x game with decent, tactical combat
>all 4x games are exactly the same!!

You just rolled 1 hard, bruv.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It looks generic and boring,nothing in common with age of wonders. The first two/three games are great gems of old that i managed to finish quite a few times. I doubt that i will even finish this garbage,if i even bother to download it. It looks like fucking civilization game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
They posted that video 5 days ago. Nothing interesting, and players messed view by putting theirs head into recording.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I talked mad shit about this before but it actually looks interesting. Still not a fan of the unit design. I'm gonna pirate it for sure. Not sure about buying since Paradox will release a gorillion DLCs

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is 3 months before release and they are throwing previews and stuff? Isn't it crazy? Players would forget on all that stuff in two months.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So this game already has IG, Squats, Eldar, and Tyranids. Can't wait for the rest of the 40k to be modded in.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no problem with this at all, but the shorter guy is gay, isn't he? His behaviour is so stereotypically gay.

Eh. My ex ...let's say boyfriend acts kinda like this (not so cringy), but he isn't gay, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He might just be expressive and bouncy.

Anyway, not really interested in this game anymore, it seems forced and by-the-numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom