Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
so, when is the new content due? i grew tired of the present races already, a bit too samey, and i hate the randomized tech tree.
also: how moddable is this? it's written "fall from heaven 3" all over and i want it.

Currently you can make your own maps and string them together into campaigns using bells and whistles like artwork, text scrawls, voice over, and hero carryover.
But you can't create new units, races or classes. You can't edit the existing ones either. And scripting on your map requires LUA knowledge.

The modding capabilities will be expanded sometime in the distant future (i.e with expansions not free patches), according to the triumph forums.

couldn't care less about the maps.
i want races, classes, units, skills, spells, buildings... choices!

so, again, how long for the first expansion?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
There are PLENTY of races, classes, units, skills, spells, buildings and choices already.

Less than AoW2. Sure. But still PLENTY.

Some people.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There are PLENTY of races, classes, units, skills, spells, buildings and choices already.

Some people.
Undead are missing, also Halflings, and Tigrans.

The main problem is the most powerful unit needs just research and one structure which is needed for other class units as well.

Some people.
play fall from heaven 2 or master of mana, then come back and tell me there's plenty of stuff again.
please.

Mortmal

Arcane
is the elven campaign better than the commonwealth one ? after recently playing 3 missions of the later i can somewhat understand some complaints about AOW3 much better....

....when you re SWIMMING in gold ( over 1000 per turn as there s a city & ressources everywhere you go...) without having even discovered half the map and the AI does pretty much nothing except defend itself the game starts to feel like a chore where you just go through the motions and spam tier3/4 units and use auto-resolve to get it over with .... though maybe its my fault not rushing the enemy as quick as i can....

if i played nothing but these 3 missions i might have a very different picture of AOW3..... and can now finally understand people seriously enjoying Warlock 2 instead (sorry guys, thought you were on drugs before :p)

soooo... elf campaign the same or worth playing ? or better to ignore both campaigns and stay with random maps instead ? ( i really enjoyed the game in them )

Elf campaign is the same, swimming in gold , no tough choices to make as everything will be widely avialable , every building, best units without any efforts. So yes you will get strong armies to autoresolve your way out of everything.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
On normal I was enjoying the whole AOW vibe. Dismissed the rather inactive AI in the first scenario as a hobbled one for introduction. Then noticed the AI not attacking in every other scenario. When a full AI stack moved next to an undefended city of mine in one turn and left without taking the city or having other pressing issues nearby the next I knew we have a problem. Going to wait untill they patch this thing up. Rather disappointed as the original AOW's AI just kicked ass in the first scenario where I tried it out.

I dunno bro, I'm starting to think our memories of great AIs from the 90s are a bit rosy.

Those AI's usually where less 'smart' than what they can make nowadays. Their implementation and what rules they had to follow was however miles ahead in the titles we so fondly remember. UFO for instance had a constantly expanding overall threat level that kept increasing the AI's danger in the campaign section. In battles it had just enough random to have aliens wander out of sight and into your flank every other battle. Other games simply gave the AI production bonusses and increased aggressiveness to keep you on your toes. It sure as hell beats an AI that stays put in its cities and won't even invade a wide open metropolis when we're at war.

Regarding Tigrans and Frostlings, there is ingame lore suggesting they're actually extinct. Frostling were wiped out by the commonwealth and the Tigrans seem to have gone the way of the dodo through a 'beholder' invasion. And where are my old lizardmen favs? Those Draconians sure aren't the same.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dunno what game you are playing. AI attacked me multiple times. However it also left cities without garisson easy to take.

if it's clear what's the front, what's the way it has to attack, my ai opponents attacked me multiple times and with multiple teams at once. no problem on that.
on the other hand, i still have to see them properly cross the sea, and considered my favourite kind of maps is "continents", *that* is an issue.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I am herp a derp bad at this game. Maybe because I'm autoresolving all battles because I can't be arsed.

How is this better than FFH2 by the way? It's my first AoW.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
On normal I was enjoying the whole AOW vibe. Dismissed the rather inactive AI in the first scenario as a hobbled one for introduction. Then noticed the AI not attacking in every other scenario. When a full AI stack moved next to an undefended city of mine in one turn and left without taking the city or having other pressing issues nearby the next I knew we have a problem. Going to wait untill they patch this thing up. Rather disappointed as the original AOW's AI just kicked ass in the first scenario where I tried it out.

There's a nasty side to the campaign AI. If you leave it to finish T4 research it will channel its production advantages into making tons of them, split them into different armies with smatterings of T1-2s as filler, and run you over on all fronts.

It's very easy to beat for a strategy game player who understands the basics of early scouting and early aggression, but players who try the old "peacefully expand, turtle, build and research" routine find themselves unable to beat the second elven court mission.

Regarding Tigrans and Frostlings, there is ingame lore suggesting they're actually extinct. Frostling were wiped out by the commonwealth and the Tigrans seem to have gone the way of the dodo through a 'beholder' invasion. And where are my old lizardmen favs? Those Draconians sure aren't the same.

Didn't Tigrans just fuck off?
Frostlings will rise again, through.
I really do not like this trend of killing off the most distinctive AOW races. First they did the Azracs and the Lizardmen in, Nomads came back pretty much because Azracs were cool as hell and Triumph wanted to add something like them back.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Yeah, the Frostlings are just out in the cold areas somewhere, hiding. I'm guessing the Frostlings and Undead Archons will be the first races added, especially since there are already undead cities in-game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

There's a nasty side to the campaign AI. If you leave it to finish T4 research it will channel its production advantages into making tons of them, split them into different armies with smatterings of T1-2s as filler, and run you over on all fronts.

It's very easy to beat for a strategy game player who understands the basics of early scouting and early aggression, but players who try the old "peacefully expand, turtle, build and research" routine find themselves unable to beat the second elven court mission.

AOW has always been about expanding and aggression. It is however a first for me to see a full AI stack neglect to take over an empty city of mine while we're at war.

Didn't Tigrans just fuck off?

The ingame lore kept it a bit in the middle. They're gone and the area they lived in is overrun by those beholder things.

If you play super aggressive against the AI it does not do to well, just walk around their closest heavily fortified city and take the next ones and they will react quite badly. But on a normal map you usually cannot get that early power edge to the AI so that strategy does not work there. Usually big maps become a grind of huge armies going city by city and softening up things with spells.

And hiding underground for easy defense is still a viable option, although I have seen the AI attack all my choke points in one turn, but never several times on the same one, as it should.

visions

Arcane
It is however a first for me to see a full AI stack neglect to take over an empty city of mine while we're at war.

This isn't the same as it's a more specific situation, but just something I remembered. Technically the AI in AOW1 sometimes neglects to take over an empty city. It happens to me when the AI will come with superior forces towards one of my cities. If I then leave the city empty and evacuate the defenders, the AI will (not sure if always but often) turn back instead of taking over the city.

Zeriel

Arcane
If you're not playing this in multiplayer, I absolutely wouldn't reccomend it. The streamlining is overall very strong in this one. It's still really, really fun in multiplayer, though, maybe even more fun than before due to the class system. Even there, though, there's some fairly crippling flaws like the weird omission of combat speed sliders in multiplayer, which were a staple of the series since forever.

If you're not playing this in multiplayer, I absolutely wouldn't reccomend it. The streamlining is overall very strong in this one. It's still really, really fun in multiplayer, though, maybe even more fun than before due to the class system. Even there, though, there's some fairly crippling flaws like the weird omission of combat speed sliders in multiplayer, which were a staple of the series since forever.

There is no speed sliders in multiplayer?
Just tell everyone to double click on RMB when moving/attacking and at least all that is triple speed.

Zeriel

Arcane

Just tell everyone to double click on RMB when moving/attacking and at least all that is triple speed.

Doesn't work in MP except for overworld map.

Doesn't work in MP except for overworld map.

Wow, that sucks. Speed is even of more importance in multiplayer while people are getting bored waiting

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Strangely nobody talks about the real flaws. Like: a single building is needed to produce the most powerful units. No perquisites whatever and it's cheaper than these buildings that build most powerful draconian units.

BTW I posted this in a discusion about boosting T1 units to have fighting chance against most powerful units.

Let’s make an explanation in pictorial.

So he wants this guy
auto-200103.jpeg

To have fighting chance against this girl:
SDcBcSA.jpg

when she is in the air.
I don’t thing these guys:
bazooka.jpg

Can survive this girl:
BRj4nVE.jpg

Contrary to some people beliefs. The fight wasn’t about people army, or about elan, it was about a well positioned tank.

Also shadow stalkers are T3.

circ

Arcane
Shadow stalkers were T4 when I played the campaign, succubus are T3. And completely immune to draconian T4 druid units or whatever they were. Sounds legit!

Reinstalled Shadow Magic earlier after many many years. Wow, what a horrible horrible MoM clone. Well atleast it had native 1080p support, which is about the only positive aspect.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Shadow stalkers were T4 when I played the campaign, succubus are T3. And completely immune to draconian T4 druid units or whatever they were. Sounds legit!

Reinstalled Shadow Magic earlier after many many years. Wow, what a horrible horrible MoM clone. Well atleast it had native 1080p support, which is about the only positive aspect.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Rogues don't have T4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom