Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Misconnected

Savant
Again, why? Too many trash fights for no special reason. I already saw the good fights and made my own army compositions.

Maybe they're just not your kind of games? What you're calling trash fights are the meat of the games, and I'm guessing most series fans enjoyed just about all of them. I know I did.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Again, why? Too many trash fights for no special reason. I already saw the good fights and made my own army compositions.

Maybe they're just not your kind of games? What you're calling trash fights are the meat of the games, and I'm guessing most series fans enjoyed just about all of them. I know I did.
I have played MoM, Dominions, FFH2 (+modmods), Warlock, Disgaea, Eador and several HoMMs. I'm one of the two only people that bought Drums of War this month, and is waiting for Telepath Tactics to launch. I have Blackguards halfway finished until I free some HD space. I have two protogames made by myself to test game mechanics. They are my genre.

KB has an excellent combat system, units, depth...and nowhere to be used in. The campaign's trash mob encounters are not specially well designed or prove fun on top of the attrition-based army building mechanics.

Last edited:

whatevername

Arcane
BANG! git gud.

Fix to all design issues or codex cop-out?

Sometimes one, sometimes the other? KB:TL & KB:AP can both be completed without losses on the highest difficulty, and at least for me KB:TL's lowest difficulty was challenge-free. So in this case I'd suggest git gud or lower the difficulty is a valid response.
Not only without losses, but also without hiring any troops for gold aka you can only use what you find like snake eggs, griffin eggs, vampire coffins...

Compared to AoW:SM this game is a PIECE OF SHIT. Those who liked HMM6 or Elemental/FE will love it though.

You are an idiot. The game plays great and looks great and sounds great so far. I think this might be a classic...
And you're a dumbass. So if you say the game plays great does that mean you were defeated by the AI or do you enjoy fighting static monsters a-la King's Bounty?

So plays great, for you, means you either get defeated or the enemies are static? Wow....

whatevername

Arcane
Compared to AoW:SM this game is a PIECE OF SHIT. Those who liked HMM6 or Elemental/FE will love it though.

You are an idiot. The game plays great and looks great and sounds great so far. I think this might be a classic...
And you're a dumbass. So if you say the game plays great does that mean you were defeated by the AI or do you enjoy fighting static monsters a-la King's Bounty?

So plays great, for you, means you either get defeated or the enemies are static? Wow....
Are you in a coma?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This whole argument is retarded and you guys are retarded for arguing about this. Really. Bringing Kings Bounty into this? Fallen Enchantress? Civ 5? Wow.

Its literally AoW2 with better graphics and slight changes, even graphics are extremely similar, I had a feeling of deja vu first starting this game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The campaign's trash mob encounters

That "trash mob" argument of yours is really weird because if you read forums and talk with people who like KB you hear the main reason they love the game is that there's no such thing as trash mobs, unlike most other games of the genre. Because the combat mechanics is so much fun, every encounter is enjoyable. Especially in Homam or AoW I've got the tendency to autoresolve a lot of fights precisely because of the hordes of dull grindy trash mobs.

But we can always agree to disagree.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trash mob might be a bit too strong, but one thing that sure bothered me was the repetition of the sequences that lead to zero casualties :
I don't remember exactly how it was, but it involved making fights drag forever to squeeze as much mana as possible and get time to resurrect everyone, which despite the other qualities of the game, was somewhat tiresome.
For someone with OCD that prevents not following the optimal play, even when it is somewhat frustrating, it is impossible to resist doing that and still play the game, which is a problem and very seldom had in HOMM and never in AoW.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well then blame yourself and your assburgers that makes you unable to ignore achievements and casualties not the game.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
asperger or not, I don't think that games should reward busywork (and I don't talk about the achievements, I did not notice there was any, but the fact that gamewise, not losing troops is a better outcome than losing some, and spending time on automatic tasks helps much with this better outcome).
What next? Blame myself for not having the speed to play competitive RTS anymore?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game doesnt demand you played perfectly. I finished most of KB games at hardest difficulty with huge losses I didnt give shit about and a lot of gold to spare. Only assburgers feel the need to avoid losses at all. Me I even liked losing units because I had to use other types available locally for a breath of fresh air in my army.

And WHO the fuck would you blame for not having enough speed? Of course its your damn fault. Or was that a rhetoric question.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
one thing that sure bothered me was the repetition of the sequences that lead to zero casualties :
I don't remember exactly how it was, but it involved making fights drag forever to squeeze as much mana as possible and get time to resurrect everyone

Whaa? Sorry but resurrecting with your spells is about the most inefficient strategy I've heard of. You don't resurrect with spells, you do that with your units' abilities, there are a lot of units with some kind of resurrection/heal capability. Plus rushing forward with your own units and then resurrect them is not how you should play the game either, you're much better off with summons and phantoms.

I remember my most baller tactics while playing a Mage was to phantom my Green Dragons, fly them all the way forward and put a suicide bomb on them. When they were killed, they took half the enemy army with them. Great staples are Royal Griffins or Royal Thorns because you can tank shitton of damage with their summons. Most people also can't do without a Paladin. Plus ranged army is, as usual, the easy mode one.

All in all there are lot of things you can do. And when you're at your wits end you can always jump on the ol' YT and watch some videos and learn efficient strategies. Just a tip for you.

Last edited:

Snozgobler

Educated
I played KB:AP a number of years ago and personally got really bored with the fights, but I was also terrible at keeping units alive. I might reinstall it and take another look one day, but atm I'm too busy enjoying AoW3! I don't know if I'm just a lot better than I used to be, or if AoW3 is just incredibly easy comparatively, but I seem to very rarely lose units in AoW3

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
AoW is a properly prestigious series, please keep this topic clean of the mindnumbing KB "remakes".

Snozgobler

Educated
I realise that Total Biscuit is held in suitable disregard on the Codex for being super popamole in many regards, but he's made a WTF is... for AoW3 and loves it to pieces:

Specifically, he loves the fact that even though units visually go down in numbers, they are 100% effective until they die.

Emily

Arcane
Oh come on, it is same as SM, it is only about visual feedback which yeah it is stupid, but it is easy to get used to.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's not, it has been like this since AoW1. They just messed up the visuals and people get confused. They should left the units single instead of multiple but i don't mind, already got used to it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I realise that Total Biscuit is held in suitable disregard on the Codex for being super popamole in many regards,

Eh, that's just Codex being retarded again, playing a popamole game now a then doesn't make you a super popamoler.

I still remember he was the first major reviewer to point out Bioshock Infinite is actually pretty shitty - back at the time when everybody with any net rep praised it as basically the best game in the last 10 years and saying otherwise made you look as an ostentatiously contrarian asocial attention whore. He got a huge kudos for this from me. And many of his industry critiques are absolutely spot on too. He's certainly not my favourite Youtuber, I rarely watch anything else than the Content Patch, but he is a PC gamer and one of the good guys out there.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
From any design standpoint it's fucking retarded, yeah, it doesn't take long before you realize it doesn't work like that, but at first sight common sense says it should, visual feedback is very important.

Eyeball

Arcane
Don't mind it in the slightest. Did units lose effectiveness in previous AoWs as they took damage?

Snozgobler

Educated
I also have no issue with units doing full damage until defeated, I just feel that it's very unintuitive to represent units in this way. I'm used to it now, but I'd prefer if it was handled differently.

I realise that Total Biscuit is held in suitable disregard on the Codex for being super popamole in many regards,

Eh, that's just Codex being retarded again, playing a popamole game now a then doesn't make you a super popamoler.

I still remember he was the first major reviewer to point out Bioshock Infinite is actually pretty shitty - back at the time when everybody with any net rep praised it as basically the best game in the last 10 years and saying otherwise made you look as an ostentatiously contrarian asocial attention whore. He got a huge kudos for this from me. And many of his industry critiques are absolutely spot on too. He's certainly not my favourite Youtuber, I rarely watch anything else than the Content Patch, but he is a PC gamer and one of the good guys out there.

Perhaps my phrasing was a little sensationalist. I would however call into question some of his opinions purely because he bases them on his own play throughs, and some of the videos I've seen he shows a distinct lack of understanding/forethought/strategy in them. I know that he freely admits that he's not good at certain types of games, but that doesn't stop me from feeling that his point is sometimes undermined by his lack of ability (though I'm fine with admitting that that's my elitism shining through). I agree that his insights into the gaming industry are for the most part well informed and he's one of a small number of YouTubers who I regularly watch videos from.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
No, Total Biscuit is just lacking in brains, cvv. Watch his review for Thi4f. The most amazing part is when he talks about how good the stealth detection AI is right as a guard opens a door on him while he's in the light and doesn't spot him. Without missing a beat, he talks about how tense it was that he nearly got caught. The dude doesn't know what he's talking about but frequently does so anyway, praising all the wrong things.

I don't think he's been bribed or that he's an industry shill, but I do think that his standards for quality are frequently lacking. I'm sure that there are times when he does know his stuff and manages to make some spot-on critiques, and he does actually get digs in at the state of the industry, but often enough he goes full popamole when he reviews shit he's clearly not familiar with and operates off of the limited scope of information he does possess, which is mostly PR hype and pre-release buzz. If he actually had a brain he'd recognize that's not the right way to inform yourself about the merits of a game or genre, but I suspect he has an earnest desire to be a naïve fucker sometimes, because he thinks it connects himself better with his audience of naïve fuckers. Nevermind that naïvety really doesn't help when the point of your videos is to be informative.

Anyway, I agree the visual feedback is counter-intuitive. I prefer the way they do full damage the entire way, but the new squad animations are just unwarranted and misleading. The old AoW games also did full damage all they way, but they just displayed a single unit.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Don't mind it in the slightest. Did units lose effectiveness in previous AoWs as they took damage?

They didn't in the last one, AoWSM, and the game it expanded AoW2, not sure about the original. Units just had a health bar, there weren't "Squads", but the mechanic worked the same. Hence a pikeman on his last legs with first strike could still get in a deadly blow. They just represent the units differently in AoW3, which I like because it "feels" more like a battle taking place, but the visual cue feels off, because generally speaking less people = less damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom