Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 2

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Worth getting?

I played AoW 1 and liked it. What are the improvements? Strong points/weak points? Anything less good than it was in part 1? Or am I quite safe getting it when I liked part 1?

Selenti

Liturgist
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I liked AoW 1 a lot more. Aside from the fact I'm just not fond of the whole "WIZARD TOWER!" mechanic, they pretty much completely gutted the interesting storyline of #1 for some generic crap in #2 that never really got off the ground.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Definitely get it if you liked Age of Wonders 1. You might want to try getting Age of Wonders Shadow Magic though. It is like an expansion of Age of Wonders 2 except it is a stand alone game.

Suicidal

Arcane
It's a good game, more or less like the first, so if you liked that you're safe getting this one.

As Lingwe suggested, you should get Shadow Magic - it has more races, units and some interesting new gameplay mechanics, like the shadow plane, for example, an another level on the world map (like surface and dungeon) with a few twists.

The exploration, army management, combat and magic system are pretty much the same.

The town management system was changed, however. It kind of reminds me of the one in Master of Magic. There are no more 1,2,3,4-sized towns that can never be changed like in AoW1, so any town you own can be made as prosperous and productive as the next one. I can't remember if population was a factor in AoW1, but it is in the second - the population level in towns can grow, and once it reaches a certain point, your town will grow in size and get increased income and production values. There are 4 levels, I believe - encampment, village, town and city. Encampment is a town in its "infant" stages, right after you build it with a pioneer. You can build next to nothing in an encampment and will have to wait some time before it grows into a village.

And yes, now you will have to build different structures in your towns, like in MoM. These can be split into 4 groups - military, production, temples and magic. Military structures are needed to train soldiers and give you access to more powerful ones, production structures increase the town's production (reduce build time) and allow construction of siege weapons, temples generate mana and allow to train priests and magic buildings are all about, well... magic and spells.

The migrate, pillage and destroy options are still present.

What I didn't like is that they replaced the leader unit, whose stats and skills can be manually configured and improved through leveling up, with the wizard. The wizard is similar to the leader from the first AoW, except that he can't level up, his combat stats can't be configured/modified and his only purpose is to sit in a town with a built mage tower, to provide you with a "magic domain", a territory where you can cast spells. If the mage dies, he pops up in the nearest town with a mage tower, and if there is no such towns under your control, than it's game over.

Another thing they ruined is the town siege battles. I remember when you attack a town in AoW, it's size on the combat map was impressive, and it depended on the actual size of the town on the world map. Well, in AoW2 there is no difference what you attack - a huge city or a village, it will be of the exact same size on the combat map. Not to mention every town on the combat map is the size of a guard tower - a small square shaped territory surrounded by a wall.

And, as Selenti mentioned, the storyline sucks.

Apart from these, I don't have any complaints about the game, so if you liked AoW1 and want a good TBS experience - get this one.

Deacdo

Liturgist
SM was the last fantasy style TBS game that could capture my interest. Great stuff. Too bad all the ones in development right now are limited in scope/depth ala HoMMV....with the possible exception of the Stardock TBS game.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
AoW 1 has better storyline and more factions. Aside from that, Shadow Magic is superior in every way.

Suicidal

Arcane
Alfgart said:
AoW 1 has better storyline and more factions. Aside from that, Shadow Magic is superior in every way.

Actually, both AoW1 and 2 had 12 factions, while Shadow Magic had 15.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

is either game worth it if you were a huge fan of Master of Magic ?

one of my favourite strategy games ever ....... so is AoW comparable ?

if not, anything else (could also be mods to other games) similar to MoM (if possible with at least semi decent graphics, i m not talking about 3d explosions, bloom blah blah, but at least beeing able to play in high resolutions and not getting your eyes hurt ) ?

Suicidal

Arcane
Re: ....

ricolikesrice said:
is either game worth it if you were a huge fan of Master of Magic ?

one of my favourite strategy games ever ....... so is AoW comparable ?

if not, anything else (could also be mods to other games) similar to MoM (if possible with at least semi decent graphics, i m not talking about 3d explosions, bloom blah blah, but at least beeing able to play in high resolutions and not getting your eyes hurt ) ?

AoW games have a lot of things in common with MoM - similar spell research system, army control, town management (only in AoW2, though), etc. The combat in AoW also reminds me of that of MoM in a way. I think you can say AoW is a spiritual successor to MoM.

The graphics in both AoW games are also pretty nice.

Selenti

Liturgist
Really, the only reason I found AoW 2 disappointing was that I felt the storyline in the original was astoundingly good for a strategy game. Especially the Cult of Storms side was deliciously nihilistic. AoW 2 just felt like a backtracking to the high fantasy cliches, but it's certainly a richer game tactically and in multiplayer. The sieges blow, though.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Suicidal said:
Alfgart said:

Actually, both AoW1 and 2 had 12 factions, while Shadow Magic had 15.
You're right, my mistake. But in AoW 1 you could have a map with the 12 factions playing at the same time, while in AoW 2 and Shadow Magic the limit was 8.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shadow Magic is the best game you can get when compared to Master of Magic.

If that's not a good recommendation you need medical help.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gues it's Shadow Magic then which I'll get. Better features than the normal version, and I don't care about story in strategy games anyways really. Seems nice enough to buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom