Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Mythology: Retold

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I heard that the Chinese campaign added in Tale of the Dragon wasn't as good as the original campaigns. I got the impression that it needs to be Retold. Could that explain the name of this new enhanced edition?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
it's gonna be interesting to compare this to the original, but i have the original burned into my memory and it's still unmatched in my eyes. i won't be surprised if this doesn't hold up to the original

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I want Mesopotamians.

Whenever a game about mythology is made, my favorite gets shafted, even though it's so cool.

In Titan Quest there was ONE level set in the hanging gardens of Babylon but that was it, while Greece, Egypt, and China got entire regions. Then the expansions added the underworld, Atlantis, and Norse lands.

In Age of Mythology, the expansions added Atlantis (super fucking lame we already HAD Atlantis represented as the Greeks) and China.

Mesopotamian mythology is super giga mega cool but always gets overlooked.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I want Mesopotamians.

Whenever a game about mythology is made, my favorite gets shafted, even though it's so cool.

In Titan Quest there was ONE level set in the hanging gardens of Babylon but that was it, while Greece, Egypt, and China got entire regions. Then the expansions added the underworld, Atlantis, and Norse lands.

In Age of Mythology, the expansions added Atlantis (super fucking lame we already HAD Atlantis represented as the Greeks) and China.

Mesopotamian mythology is super giga mega cool but always gets overlooked.
I have to agree with this fine gentleman Jarlfrank here.

Mesopotamians get completely gigashafted for no reason whatsoever. I would say they have more reason to be in-game than the Norse, due to AOM being based on the Bronze Age.

Atlantis in the expansion was weird, because its clearly meant to be this Greekish thing with a clear Mesoeamerican influence. But AFAIK the Titans were essentially older greek gods who got villanised when newer popullations invaded Greece. So it's Literally Greece 2.
Its thought Atlantis was based on Tartessos so I would have liked to see some influence there.

The cultures are close-ish, but I would like to see Canaaneans as well. Especially because the Phoenicians are Canaanites. Plus shit could get metal quick, with human sacrifices and shit.

I also think it would be awesome if AOM got rid of the "Three Primary Gods" and "Two Secondary Gods Per Age" restriction, you could have civilizations with multiple primary gods, or even just one (Hebrews/Zoroastrians), or a wider choice of secondary gods. It would be an interesting way to make any new additions different. It would make them stand-out from the three vanilla civs and Atlanteans and their "Three Primary Gods then Choose One God Out of Two Per Age".
Problem of adding extra god per age is that you have to keep them at very least relevant or interesting. There is already quite a few secondary god that rarely see the light, and I think that the formula of "a god, a power, a unit and an upgrade" is already pretty tight.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Have they raised the unit cap with the last expansion? It was way too low for my tastes, particularly on large maps where you can have a large economy. At some point the resources usually start to pile up and there is nothing left to spend them on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Have they raised the unit cap with the last expansion? It was way too low for my tastes, particularly on large maps where you can have a large economy. At some point the resources usually start to pile up and there is nothing left to spend them on.
If you are sitting on the unit cap, you aren't doing what you are supposed to be doing with those units. I doubt anyone halfway decent is going to allow you to get to unit cap in multiplayer.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
If you are sitting on the unit cap, you aren't doing what you are supposed to be doing with those units. I doubt anyone halfway decent is going to allow you to get to unit cap in multiplayer.
I don't play AoM in competitive multiplayer nor do I intend to. But it is easy to reach the limit vs the AI, no matter the difficulty. The limit prevents you to open fronts effectively against multiple AI's, even if you could support it economically. The army size is too small for that on Giant maps with 12 players.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Unit cap is an important mechanic in late game, as it give a massive advantage if one of the player own more town center ( not sure of the English denomination). It also mean that defensive structure stay relevant later on.
Obviously the game does not have balance in mind for 12 player giant map.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I kinda feel like them releasing IV for whatever inane reason put a stop to Retold's development. Which has to be the worst trade deal maybe ever signed anywhere.

Problem of adding extra god per age is that you have to keep them at very least relevant or interesting. There is already quite a few secondary god that rarely see the light, and I think that the formula of "a god, a power, a unit and an upgrade" is already pretty tight.
True.
I think it would be best kept for the OG 4 civs.
The OG 3 were pretty distinctive, and the Atlanteans were pretty distinctive from them with their instant resource collection and being able to turn all units into heroes, alongside their three-use Godpowers and pretty neat new powers units.

Dissociating from the God/Power/Unit/Upgrade formula for new ones could make any new additions pretty different.
You could even have a civilization whose individual era gods are weaker than the vanilla ones... but you can pick two out of a bigger set.

What else could be done... some sort of Slavery-based civilization, perhaps? Like, being able to "enslave" enemy units through unit abilities/victory in combat, gain villagers by kicking ass and generally parasite enemy civs?

Some sort of Chariot Indo-Aryan Steppe nomad civilization? Heavy emphasis on Chariot and horse. Immense mobility, mobile "bases" that are actually just tents and wagons, no/minimal/late farming, emphasis on collecting and hunting and using livestock to get food, fighting them is like punching water, etc.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
There’s pop cap mods along with other goodies in the workshop. So it isn’t officially included but those 12 size Ffa johunteim games are on the table.

Of course because the aom ai isn’t designed to handle so many units, if you try to send a horde of 100s of soldiers the pathfinding will go awol and you will have soldiers getting lost on the way, so dont make control groups of more then 40-50 is my advice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Оh, and they should remove the auto-queue, it's the thing that kept the game from being as much of an e-sport as AoE2. It lowers the skill ceiling too much.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Mute before watching to minimize the cringe. You were warned.

Who dat.png

Is that a Gaia?

REhorror

Educated
Well...I actually expect it to be a lil grander.
So far it looks like the original, with some updated models that don't look all that good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom