Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Narax

Educated
Malta is a really odd choice.
Most of their assets are reused/reskinned from the original game, so they're basically reselling you something you already have. Their addition is just a very lazy marketing move to attract the deus vult crowd. Also they seem to be getting extremely uncreative with their dlc names. The only thing i am looking forward to is the new royal houses mechanic.

ez5ogexj07z81.png

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Malta is a really odd choice.
Most of their assets are reused/reskinned from the original game, so they're basically reselling you something you already have. Their addition is just a very lazy marketing move to attract the deus vult crowd. Also they seem to be getting extremely uncreative with their dlc names. The only thing i am looking forward to is the addition of the royal houses mechanic.

ez5ogexj07z81.png

Well, I'm the deus vult crowd but consider me not attracted.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm sure AoM would get more attention and would be played more than this thing. They just have to remove the silly auto create button in every building and it's smooth sailing from there.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I'm sure AoM would get more attention and would be played more than this thing. They just have to remove the silly auto create button in every building and it's smooth sailing from there.
They messed up AoM with the Chinese expansion and they won't be able to justify another expansion until they fix it, which I'm guessing they don't want to do. With the AoE2 and 3 expansions, they have at least a large part of the community on their side but from the reviews I've read, the Tale of the Dragon expansion is too bad to love even for fanboys.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is terrible, yes, and I wouldn't feature it in a theoretical DE at all tbh. AoM doesn't need expansions anyway, it just needs an adrenaline shot.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

You can only get one of them and you can only get it in Age 4 but it looks cool. Seems like they're taking more liberties with historical accuracy than with AoE2.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
RIP, next steps will eventually end up with the AoE franchise being like Starcraft, bursting at the seams with DLCs and coonsoomables and a constant flow of bad updates to justify them. At least it didn't die leaving me sad but instead stayed alive and grew into something I hate. Couldn't have gotten a better death if they did seppuku.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They messed up AoM with the Chinese expansion and they won't be able to justify another expansion until they fix it, which I'm guessing they don't want to do. With the AoE2 and 3 expansions, they have at least a large part of the community on their side but from the reviews I've read, the Tale of the Dragon expansion is too bad to love even for fanboys.
AoM doesn't have a proper Definitive Edition yet though.
The AoM we got was basically what AoE2 HD was.

And then they made AoE2 DE with a new and improved engine. AoM is the only game in the series that hasn't received that full scale treatment yet.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

And then they made AoE2 DE with a new and improved engine. AoM is the only game in the series that hasn't received that full scale treatment yet.

AOM uses the same engine as AOE3, so it would probably be pretty straightforward you would think.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

I don't think they can get away with making an AoM DE without fixing the EE and fixing the Chinese in the expansion first. Unlike in AoE2 or 3, they don't have an edition that the community was happy with to start on. I haven't played AoE1DE yet and I don't play the original AoE1 but I doubt the community is completely satisfied with how 1DE was handled either, though at this point they're probably just thankful they left it alone and didn't inject all the xbox account and mindless DLC crap. AoE1DE does look like the same engine as 2DE though. Hopefully they keep their hands off because the whole series has been being ''remastered'' for 9 years now and all they've done is make every game more similar to eachother both graphically and mechanically. You only need to look at AoE3 to see where most of the bonuses and ideas for the new AoE2 civs came from, and its the same with AoE4 and AoE2.

pickmeister

Learned
Not a fan of further bastardizing the series. I’d be happy if they left AoM alone.
It’s enough that they changed the color palette/tint/textures/whatever.

Original AoM:
dzYSE4G.png

HD:
bIO3s5c.png

I prefer the original.
It looks like they improved the fidelity and texture resolution in the HD edition but I think the developers of today don’t understand that sometimes less is more. To me, the original is much nicer to look at.

pickmeister

Learned
If you mean AoE 2 HD edition then kinda. They changed a handful of minor things that make me dislike it but that’s because it was the first game I ever played so I am especially autistic about it.

As for DE edition, not a fan. Too much bloom, fog etc. and way too floaty animation. Original devs wanted the animations to look somehow realistic. New devs just wanted to make them smoother and the result looks strange.
Which is something I despise about developers of today (art direction especially) - their point of reference is not real world. Their points of reference are other games because they’ve never been outside to see anything real and it shows.

Also not a fan of the new non-sense civs like Italians.

I read here on codex the new campaigns are good, though.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Well, at least they did aoe2 properly.
All the stupid seasonal events and online integration aside, DE does look Warcraftified / carttonified like pickmeister says. Also, while campaigns may be good, I think they've exhausted the AoE2 gameplay system and how much variation it allows. Adding stuff like units that can strip away armor, units that have charged attacks, cannibalized bonuses from AoE3, etc aren't really innovative. They could've and should've made a new game where more civ-to-civ variation was possible instead of making infinite DLCs for this ''Definitive'' version. For people on older systems or those who don't want the cartooney graphics, HD or the original AoC is still solid and mostly unsurpassed if you have friends to play with.

Its been what, 23 years since AoK released and they still haven't come up with anything better? Of course complaining now doesn't make sense since the older playerbase isn't their target audience anymore because they've got consoomers a-plenty asking for ''more DLCs plz'' everywhere.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
DE artstyle is a bit flawed, but the corrected shift-queue functionality and various new UI features are indispensable.
Ques could be considered QOL features at best, which could've been added in a patch. And pros made a skill out of juggling production buildings without que features before all this; and for normal players, I don't think it would change much anyway if you're used to the old system. The other UI stuff seems to just gimmicks.

pickmeister

Learned
When it comes to RTS games in general, the community often asks for QoL features that in the end almost make the game play itself, lower skill ceiling, suck the fun out of it, and then people stop playing it. At least that was one of the main reasons why people moved from SC2 back to SC1.

But perhaps now, with more casual paypig audience, this model works.

Sarathiour

Cipher
You can only get one of them and you can only get it in Age 4 but it looks cool. Seems like they're taking more liberties with historical accuracy than with AoE2.
AoE3 was never even remotely historically accurate, even in the base game mercenary and rocket launcher were silly unit, indigenous unit were closer to some kind of mythos, and the two expansion get even more sillier. Non one can seriously complain that they are adding fun unit, which make the whole debacle of removing the dancing pit for Amerindian even more ridiculous .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom