Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II/III/Mythology Kkkodeks Multiplayer

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, bros, since I'm sure some of you guys have those games too, I decided to open a thread about it where we can arrange matches and shit. I don't usually buy games on Steam, but the recent sale reduced the price of the Age of X collection to a pittance, and I grabbed it because I loved the games back in the day. This is my fist time going multi, and I'm usually getting pwned, but I'm learning the ropes by now. I even did three successful flushes in AoE2 by now, and one successful drush.

While I would probably still be owned by Codexian opponents, Codex matches will be a lot more fun than matches against random idiots.

Especially in AoE3. So many people who host AoE3 games put idiotic retarded rules in it like 20 to 60 minute truce with "half-mapping", so every player should only expand within his half of the map, which is the most utterly retarded concept, because any competent player will have harvested all the gold, berries, animals, and even major forests on his half of the map by the 60 minute mark anyway, and it completely eliminates map control gameplay.

So, I'd really love to play AoE3 against non-retarded players.

Games I have:
AoE2 HD + those two new expansions
AoE3 complete
AoM Extended

Cadmus

Arcane
how does the MP work, do I need to buy that shit on steam or is there a peer to peer proper server creation? I used to play the AoE2 and 3 MP a bit.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I have AoE 2 HD. Name's the same on our favourite discount spyware.

I'm a noob and a terrible player, beware. Free in the evenings, GMT +1.

Why play AoE2 HD wank version over the original?

I still have an age-old pirated copy of AoE2 and a legit copy of AoM, but I don't even know if they still work.

Especially in AoE3. So many people who host AoE3 games put idiotic retarded rules in it like 20 to 60 minute truce with "half-mapping", so every player should only expand within his half of the map, which is the most utterly retarded concept, because any competent player will have harvested all the gold, berries, animals, and even major forests on his half of the map by the 60 minute mark anyway, and it completely eliminates map control gameplay.

what

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
posting in here so can play mebbe later after holidays
AoM was first shit i LAN

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The steam copies were hella cheap, that's why I bought them. AoE3 isn't fully steam integrated so any old AoE3 version works in multiplayer and is compatible with steam version.

what

Yes, it's p. retarded. First team game I played was 3v3 with noobs, and apparently they had a 60 minute truce, hurr durr. As in, not even enforced by the game because you can't even enforce truces that long, more of a "we keep to our side of our map and you keep to yours" bullshit. I didn't know it at first and raided one enemy's silver mine, killing three villagers, then he said "stop attack" and I asked whether there was a truce or something. Someone said, yes, 60 minutes.

So, basically, the first 60 minutes of the game were spent harvesting resources and building up armies. Of course, shit becomes trivial if you're at least a halfway competent player, I harvested pretty much all the hunting grounds and silver mines on my side of the map before the truce was even over, and at the end I had two fully upgraded huge armies. So did one of my teammates (the other one was lagging slightly behind us two). Once the truce ended, we just roflstomped the other three teams who just turtled in their position and were blasted away by my cannons in no time.

Lesson learned: if you want an interesting AoE3 game, avoid all games in the list that have "truce X min" or "HM" in them. HM means half map, which means no expanding beyond your half until the truce is over. Who the fuck wants to play like this, AoE is all about map control, wtf is this shit.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
The thing that really sucks atm is all the rts remakes on steam have a high chance of desync and general netcode woes to occur. But I really like what new features aoe2hd brings despite that. The non-pro matches are much more interesting now, like how Portuguese get a resource generation building that can carry them through post-endgame.

for the record dont buy rise of nations, you got a 10% chance to get a game started

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Didn't buy RoN, only the Age series.

Funnily, the Steam remakes of AoE2 and AoM work way better than AoE3 in multiplayer, because AoE3 has a stupid thing that says connection failed in like 90% of games I wanna join. Now I'm fiddling around with port forwarding and all that shit. Goddammit.

Once I fixed that bullshit, I might take your offer, Irenaeus II

Dayyālu

Arcane
JarlFrank is a dangerous player in AoE2 :lol:

In the match we managed to do, he expanded aggressively and wrecked my naval expansion in short order after a fluke or two. I managed to steal a undeserved Wonder victory by turtling and thanks to sheer luck, but I would have been destroyed in short order in a standard match.

It was fun, nonetheless. After RA, I did not expect a random Codex player to be so aggressive and successful in his pushes and economy. I've grown old and lazy!

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I've got AoE2 with the Conquerors expansion and the userpatch. Would that be suitable? I also installed Gameranger after the latest thread on AoE, where the idea of an MP game also arose, but I suppose I could just as easily get this Voobly thing.

I'm down for some AOE3, feel free to add me on steam, same nickname as here. Though I'm not very good at it. And yeah, searching for a decent public lobby can be a pain, hate the fucking treaties. And a lot of times I'm getting kicked from lobbies for whatever reason after spending few minutes waiting for it to start. Love the game otherwise so always looking for reliable company to play with.

I have all the games listed, add herostratus on steam if u wanna play (im not so much on steam, PM me on the dex or somewhere else if you are online and wanna play)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Just played a game against a random noob, holy shit, I dominated early game but he managed to overwhelm my forward base at some point cause I idled too much, then I thought I was screwed once he destroyed my monastery holding 4 relics.
Haha, faggot only secured one of the relics even though he had enough time to take them all, he even attacked my main base and didn't bother getting the relics while he did so, so I just grabbed them and put them into a secure monastery. At that point of the game, almost all gold mines were gone, and I controlled the only two ones left, so now I out-produced him massively. Beat his attack back by spamming trash units like halberds, skirmishers, hussars. The skirmishers probably won me the game because he had almost only halberdiers once his huskarls all died (and he didn't have enough gold to get more).
Constructed like 5 stables, barracks and archery ranges next to his base, spammed trash units right at his front door, then built 5 trebuchets to take out his castle and town center. That was when I finally won the game. After more than 2 hours. Holy shit.

Xa85169.jpg

Most exciting match I'd played yet. I lost 850 units, and I killed 1100 of his. Dude could've had me so easily at around the 1:40 mark when I lost my forward base, but he didn't push properly by constructing a forward base of his own.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Excellent. I've recently started playing through LAN with a few friends. We meet about once every 1-2 weeks, and it's proving to be great fun so far. We play pretty casually, usually 2v2 random maps, but standards are improving rapidly, even with those of us who have never played the game before. For my own part, I'm becoming better at building the economy efficiently, but I still struggle to switch to a good military build-up in time for the first major battles, so I've been at the receiving end of some painful defeats lately. Some of the battles are proving to be epic, although not yet with the casualty numbers described above.

Castozor

Scholar
Sounds good I'm in for Aoe2HD. I have the original as well but I'm not sure if the discs are still in working order. Got Aoe3 too but the disc is broken and steam won't let me add it to my library via the CD-key because it's wrong somehow. Might buy it during the wintersale though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom