Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence September Update: Release date - October 14th!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That was Kieron Gillen (the interviewer). He is no longer with RPS. I don't think anyone else would have posted it, so overall he gets the credit for it, not me (there were several interviews with other sites that never materialized).

Shame. I was genuinely surprised it got posted at all. Speaking of which, are you doing anything specific to raise awareness about the game approaching its release?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We can't do much because the game is a hard-sell, even for the media. So our promo options are limited to what I can type on our forums.

Weasel
As a promotional stunt a modern version of the Oblivion Review would be ideal. VD should review Sword Coast Legends, including developer quotes.

:troll:

problem is I doubt he'd manage 10 mins in the game

Vault Dweller

Developer
I fucking hate social media and my sales expertise revolves around selling advertising to businesses. I have absolutely no idea how to sell a hardcore game with a very limited appeal to the media preoccupied with the eye candy. Not that I'm blaming them. Like any media, the gaming media wants to write stuff that people want to read. Who wants to read (or write) about AoD other than places like the Codex or the Watch or other RPG focused sites?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I knew it when we started so it doesn't come like a shock or some horrible injustice of the world. It is what it is. Want to make a game that sells? Make a game the media wants to talk about. Don't want to? Then don't complain.

Overall, I think we did well when it comes to coverage but there's nothing more we can do at this point.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Whatever. Just keep doing what you're doing. In any case, I can promote your game in social media whether you like or not, old man. (If I can get away with surviving their banhammers, of course).

Black

Arcane
Better listen to him, he probably has like 2 followers/friends on twitter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I fucking hate social media and my sales expertise revolves around selling advertising to businesses. I have absolutely no idea how to sell a hardcore game with a very limited appeal to the media preoccupied with the eye candy. Not that I'm blaming them. Like any media, the gaming media wants to write stuff that people want to read. Who wants to read (or write) about AoD other than places like the Codex or the Watch or other RPG focused sites?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I knew it when we started so it doesn't come like a shock or some horrible injustice of the world. It is what it is. Want to make a game that sells? Make a game the media wants to talk about. Don't want to? Then don't complain.

Overall, I think we did well when it comes to coverage but there's nothing more we can do at this point.

Your game's graphics aren't that bad and the basic idea of it isn't that impossible to sell.

You sound burnt out. You're just one guy and worrying about this stuff is too much for you, that's understandable.

Probably too late now to do anything about it anyway...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I have absolutely no idea how to sell a hardcore game with a very limited appeal to the media preoccupied with the eye candy.
Have you talked to dcfedor re: NEO Scavenger? It's also pretty hardcore and its graphics are not as nice as yours, yet it seemed to get pretty decent coverage. I realize it has the buzzword "rogue-like" associated with it, but he might still have some useful insights.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I realize it has the buzzword "rogue-like" associated with it, but he might still have some useful insights.

It's not like there are any deep and profound insights to be had - what pushed NeoScavenger ahead (even despite it being incredibly mediocre & shallow game) was its death attitude. It had this "dying is cool" angle with the "it's fine if the game cheats you outright" mindset. And the fans were totally right with it. That's probably the audience that VD should tap - instead of being the polite version that he is nice, he shoud've returned to his "good fucking riddance" old self.

And, in my opinion, the marketing should've went in the "you'll die 5 times in the tutorial - can you deal with it?" direction. So that old persona would've been useful in, I dunno, jeering the crowd and telling them how weak they are, etc. That's not the sanest approach for your average game, but with AoD's long story and post-apoc setting (in terms of Russian sales, the could've totally tapped the "understand the nature of wasteland" angle) it could've worked out.

Dunno, I just don't feel any power in his "talk politely to people" approach. Internet is too shitty a place for this to work out, IMO.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Your game's graphics aren't that bad and the basic idea of it isn't that impossible to sell.

You sound burnt out. You're just one guy and worrying about this stuff is too much for you, that's understandable.

Probably too late now to do anything about it anyway...
I'm not burnt out and I'm not worried at all (serves no purpose at this stage and I'm not overly emotional by nature). I've done a lot over the years to promote the game and lately (ever since KS, I'd say) getting coverage became nearly impossible. Not because I'm too tired to try but because I'm hitting the wall. I suppose if I dropped everything and started going after some coverage full time, like a sales rep, basically, I'd get something, but I don't have time for it (nor do I want to call and email all day).

We hired a good and well known PR company but so far they aren't having much success is because the game IS a hard sell. That's just how it is. Have to be realistic and all that.

I'm not upset or disappointed either. If you ask me, we're on the right track. I don't believe in fairy tales (make a game you want to make - not what sells - and it will go viral and sell a 100,000 copies because life is a Hollywood movie), I believe in hard work and perseverance. If we survive, we'll have a chance to grow, and I'm pretty sure we'll survive.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
It's not like there are any deep and profound insights to be had - what pushed NeoScavenger ahead (even despite it being incredibly mediocre & shallow game) was its death attitude. It had this "dying is cool" angle with the "it's fine if the game cheats you outright" mindset. And the fans were totally right with it. That's probably the audience that VD should tap - instead of being the polite version that he is nice, he should've returned to his "good fucking riddance" old self.

And, in my opinion, the marketing should've went in the "you'll die 5 times in the tutorial - can you deal with it?" direction. So that old persona would've been useful in, I dunno, jeering the crowd and telling them how weak they are, etc. That's not the sanest approach for your average game, but with AoD's long story and post-apoc setting (in terms of Russian sales, the could've totally tapped the "understand the nature of wasteland" angle) it could've worked out.

Dunno, I just don't feel any power in his "talk politely to people" approach. Internet is too shitty a place for this to work out, IMO.

Excellent post. That's exactly one of the main things that I'm always looking for in a game, particularly in this genre/setting. I myself have a "good fucking riddance" self in twitter, which attracts a lot of real followers and banhammers from nanny moderators, but who cares, I just make a new account. See, it's like RPGs, you make a PC, he dies, you make a new one. Don't stop playing, don't stop posting.

Vault Dweller

Developer
And, in my opinion, the marketing should've went in the "you'll die 5 times in the tutorial - can you deal with it?" direction.
To market something in a meaningful way you need either media willing to play ball or proper budget. All I can do at the moment is write an article that will be reposted by 'friendly' sites that have already covered the game. I'll write an article presenting different aspects of the game later on but such an article isn't a place to project attitude and laugh at people dying.

I'm talking to people politely because they are talking to me politely. I don't take things personally so I'm not getting all worked up. When a guy asks for help on the forums saying that he can't beat the first fight, I'm trying to help not to impress him with how helpful and polite I am but because it's the right thing to do.

That "good fucking riddance" episode was a single comment (not like I was telling every guy who didn't like the game to fuck off).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I needed to dust off my 3y old mail. It sends me to BMT Micro. So I will be able to download the full game from that site after the release date? Or should I get a steam key?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Will be updated on release. You can ask Vince for the steam key on the irontower forums nontheless.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
And, in my opinion, the marketing should've went in the "you'll die 5 times in the tutorial - can you deal with it?" direction.

You guys just convinced me. Don’t be afraid to scare new costumers, VD. Dark Souls slogan is “Prepare to Die”. Felipe Pepe already made the incline trailer. Add that trailer to the main page. Your slogan should be “Good Fucking Ridance”. That has nothing to do with being impolite, though. I bet that if new players decide to buy the game knowing beforehand that is supposed to be difficult you would have a better reception. Now most players outside our circle that buy the game are completely oblivious of how hard and unforgiving it is, and become frustrated very fast. Moreover, if you decide to stay on the business, you should come out of the closet and show your face and your name to everyone. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think it would help to strength your relationship with your fans if you showed your face out there.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
All I can do at the moment

You can always do a lot. Sure, the media is not exactly responsive, but that's not the excuse to avoid trying - other developers don't try at all and where they are? At 5k sales tops? Besides, with the right approach your game is much more marketable than a lot of the other stuff on the market.

At the very least, you guys could've thrown a bone or two to these guys . Do you even know you have a 0.5k VK fan community? Mind you, that's not that bad of a number - the highest PoE one is 2.5k. The biggest Darkest Dungeon one is almost 2k. Legend of Grimrock has 474 members and boy, I'm sure you'd love even the LoG 2 sales. Not to mention that you have enough russian-speaking crewmembers to interact with VK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom